+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 136 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

MRD

Re: Gardening

Thanks for the lavender info.
    So it's the blooms you use in cooking? (forgive me, I'm a very novice gardener)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Per misskitty (and misskitty, your garden is lovely), I'm posting a couple of pictures of my yard. Given the fact that it was nothing but a couple of squares of dirt, gravel and weeds early last spring, I have to say I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far, though I am far from done.

This is the back yard. We have a spreading plum tree so it is very shady and all the plant life was chosen for foliage rather than blooms because in general, the flowers on shade loving plants are quite insignificant.

And this is the front - sunny, so flowery.

Pardon the ginormity of the images - for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit in Photobucket.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

You have a gorgeous yard Rattus. I am envious.

Just beautiful, Rattus. I love how you used all the stone...that silvery-green plant with little purple flowers in the front of the bottom picture - is that lamium? I've wanted to try it but have heard it's pretty invasive...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Thanks for the compliments, mrd & waywyrd - I am actually happy with my garden for the first time in my life (I have the brownest of thumbs). And yes, waywyrd, that is lamium. It is pretty invasive but apparently can be kept in check by digging a trench around the area you want to confine it to. The roots are quite shallow and won't grow past the trench. The patch at the front of the garden is being kept in place with a big rock, thougn. It is ideal, though, for areas where not much else will grow and you want to keep the weeds down. In the shady backyard picture, you can sort of see a bit of an incline beyond the bench. We dumped some triple mix up there, but it is essentially a pile of mixed dirt and gravel where nothing I've planted over the past four years has taken, including mint of all things. I mean, mint is supposed to be unstoppable. Anyway, I've planted a couple of varieties of lamium up there is this spring and they have taken and are spreading. That means in the next couple of years we can stop weeding up there. Yippee!
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

How about an all expense paid trip to SC to teach me how to change my brown thumb to a green one?
    My herbs are doing well this year. The parsley and thyme and basil and rosemary are going great. The mint, I just cut back, so hopefully it will do better and my sweetheart rose has come back from the dead.
    But I managed to almost kill my geranium and I was told that those are almost impossible to kill.
    But I am lousy with blooming plants apparantly. My grandmother could put a stick in the ground and it would grow and become the most beautiful thing you ever saw. I did not inherit that gene.
    I even killed an ivy plant and here, ivy is a weed as it grows like crazy.
    I'd probably kill Kudzu if we had any.

Rattus - your garden is lovely!

I have two little green tomatoes on my plants! They have a date with the frying pan in the near future. Yum!

MRD - I've killed Geraniums too. This year, I planted a lot of Marigolds between the tomato plants and also in pots on the patio. They've bloomed constantly and are very sunny and cheerful looking. I haven't really done anything to them aside from watering occasionally.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Gorgeous pictures misskitty and Rattus....I love seeing everyone's flowers!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Rattus garden looks nice, I like it.

After coming back from a week vacation, the weeds are out of control, lawn needs mown, and I have black and red raspberries and gooseberries to pick and process. Oh my. I did the "easy" pick of berries yesterday - large clumps all ripe together and will go back if I have time and do a second picking today. I really hate mowing, but it is going to be a heat wave later in the week, so I'd better get on top of it today or tomorrow. I wear a plastic quart container (retangular) with a ribbon around my neck (holes punched in the top sides) so I have both hands free for picking berries. So much easier.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread