+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 135 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

MRD

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3094513;
    Each of those flowers will turn into a seed - those seeds are coriander (yes, they're both the same plant). You can grind them to add to curry or chili dishes.
    Oh, t hanks for that info. I will look forward to have corriander seed now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hi, I just picked up this cool plant from Canadian Tire. I have no idea what it is. It wasn't labelled and I couldn't find a similar one. The clerk was no help. Any one have any idea?

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Also, I have these growing from bulbs I planted last fall, but I didn't keep the tags. They grow on very spindly stalks. Anyone have an idea?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3099308;
    Hi, I just picked up this cool plant from Canadian Tire. I have no idea what it is. It wasn't labelled and I couldn't find a similar one. The clerk was no help. Any one have any idea?

This one is definitely a bee balm. It looks like a species that I had in my old yard. It's a great flower for attracting butterflies and humming birds.

And the bottom one looks like one of the many varieties of allium, but I can't really tell without it being in full bloom or seeing the foliage. They're members of the onion family - is the foliage sort of green onion/chive-like?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3099394;
    This one is definitely a bee balm. It looks like a species that I had in my old yard. It's a great flower for attracting butterflies and humming birds.
    Ooo. Bee Balm. Thank you! I think it's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rattus
    And the bottom one looks like one of the many varieties of allium, but I can't really tell without it being in full bloom or seeing the foliage. They're members of the onion family - is the foliage sort of green onion/chive-like?
    Yes! It's very spindly, and the little oniony layer peels off and reveals the inside. I check out allium varieties!

Here's a photo of my little flower garden in the back. I'm still working on it. When I get a new back fence in, I'm going to expand it. I had to prop up my poppies with a tomato rack thing because they get so heavy, they just break and die. I need to put it in place before they get so big though.

My hanging baskets on my garage are doing wonderful this year! I'm so happy.

What do your gardens look like? I'd love to see them!

MRD

Beautiful Miss Kitty. THose flower boxes are absolutely beautiful.

I got a lavender plant. I want to use it to cook with later. The woman at the roadside stand where I got it said, "it's just like rosemary" which I have and don't do a thing too and it grows like a weed.

So is lavender really similar? I need to transplant it, but just water it occasionally and leave it alone like the rosemary??
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My mom makes lavender sugar, which is wonderful and smells so nice. I don't drink tea, but my mom says the lavender sugar is wonderful in it. Lavender does grow like a weed (kind of like mint)

I've heard that lavender is one of those self-seeding and spreading plants. So it will definitely grow on you. I think it likes sun but is pretty hardy. The smell is beautiful too. I tried to buy some this year, but when I remembered, the plants I saw were dying because the staff didn't water them. So I bought a couple clematis which is doing ok.

lavender.jpglavender 2.jpglavender 3.jpg

There are types of lavender that are not hardy like French lavender and Spanish lavender, so you have to choose carefully. Lavender blooms year after year; always faithful. Each flower stem has to be harvested just when the flowers start to open up. At this point the essential oils are at their peak. Lavender thrives in full sun and prefers sandy, sweet soil. With good drainage and soil that has had a generous amount of compost or manure, lavender will bloom and bloom. It is a real joy to look out into the herb garden when the lavender is putting on "her show". The air is taken over with a spicy, sweetness that exudes summer. On a hot, humid afternoon, or just after a rain, everyone who visits wants to know what is creating the fragrance. LOVELY LAVENDER !

+ Reply to Thread