+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 136 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3080562;
    Veruka, the woman sounds mad. It's one thing to not be into gardening, another thing entirely to dig up an existing garden and wait for mud to occur.
    I know! I could kind of understand it if she dug up some of the stuff that spread out of control, or required a lot of maintenence. FOr example, when I bought my current house, there was a bed of ivy next to the house, and I dug that up (and replaced it with perrenials) because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of always triming the ivy to make sure it didn't grow into the siding. But to get rid of no maintence color in favor of ... mulch? Oh well -- my new house is better than hers! :-)

I had another exciting garden moment this morning. I went out to do my 25 minutes of hand watering, and discovered that a mystery bush in my yard which I had been waiting and waiting to find out what it was is blooming. It's a hibiscus!!!! Just yesterday, I drove past one near my office, and thought about finding a place in my yard to plant one because I think they're so pretty. And lo and behold - I have one!

I love Hibiscus. When we were in Antofagasta, it was one of the only things that would grow next to the ocean (besides Bougainvillea) . Sadly, it's too cold for them here (unless in pots to come inside). I hear you on the new owner thing. I actually never go by any of my old houses now (me move a fair bit). When we were in New Brunswick and the growing season was short, top soil difficult to find, I babied along a Flowering Almond. Drove by a couple of years later and the grass was uncut, Flowering Almond dead, everything looked like hell. I vowed never to look after that! Pray for my baskets this weekend I have left specific instructions about watering with my 20 year old, but it's going to be hot. I hope they are alive when I get home on Monday

canuckinchile: I love Bouganvillea! It just doesn't like our zone or my house.

rattus: Does it look like this?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Gutmutter, I googled all varieties of bee balm, and what I have is not pictured. And misskitty, no, it doesn't look like that. I think what you have pictured there is a campanula of some variety. The flower on my unidentified plant is sort of long and hairy (might be a bunch of tiny flowers) and looks quite a bit like a bottle brush, or a smaller, hairier version of a butterfly bush blossom.

In the middle of writing this, it occurred to me that I had saved some of the plant identification tags from my purchases, but unfortunately it didn't occur to me to start saving until long after planting the mystery plant. However, I did find the identifier for something that I planted in the front garden that I want to get more of, but couldn't remember the name. It is perennial sage (salvia nemorosa "Caradonna"), and it is gorgeous. Tall spikes of small deep purple flowers on dark stems - they look fantastic growing between the tickweed and the shasta daisies, towering over the blooming heuchera. And misskitty, you might be happy to know that they are tolerant to zone 3. And everyone south might be happy to know that they are also good to zone 9, and more importantly, they're drought tolerant.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3079959;
    Could you be so kind as to post some photos! I'd love to see how everything looks!

I've just replanted some regular ferns, an Alaskan Fern, a variety of hostas ( gold, blue, and varigated), and put in Stonecrop, Primrose, Beebalm,two Clematis, Ladysmantle, and a Weigela. I'm also putting in some groundcovers which include Creeping Jenny and Pussy Toes! I have a lot of shade or hot sun. I tend to lose sturdy perrenials every year which is frustrating but I'm in Zone 4.

I just got one of my beautiful elm trees cut down because it had broken branches and was half-dead on a major branch. It was also rotting inside from where the water got in over the years and had to come out. It was 65 feet tall. I miss it. And so do my squirrels. And my kitties who used to watch the squirrels come down that tree.
    Sorry,I was away these last few days.I have pictures and as soon as my son is able to help me post,I will.It's been raining on and off here and the garden is lush.My favorites are roses,clematis,peonies,ladies mantle,lilies,hydrangeas and summer phlox.

Sage is a great garden addition. It won't survive a really harsh winter, though, so you might consider covering it with leaves in the fall. The native americans believe burning dried sage gets rid of evil spirits. My friend took expensive bottled dried sage for presents in Africa and when we were walking through the semi-desert terrain from her mom's to her friends there were sage plants everywhere. She didn't believe that's what it was, so I picked some leaves and crushed them and made her smell. Sure enough!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I can't drive by my old house anymore because they ripped out all the landscaping AND cut down the old oaks. My mom and grandmother worked hard in that yard and it was their passion. My grandmother had the most beautiful azaleas in town. People would drive by just to see them in bloom. I wanted to cry when I saw what they had done to the yard.

I know some people are not gardeners, but I've seen so many homes where new people move in and rip out all the landscaping and I don't understand it. To me, landscaping a house is like accessorizng a beautiful dress.

My mint plant has gone all wonky. It's gotten really spindly and some of the leaves have fallen off. It's not got a lot of leaves to begin with, not lush with them anyway. Any suggestions?

And planted cilantro and now it's all weird too (I've never planted it before). The big flat leaves are gone and now I have a lacy kind of growth with white flowers)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Cut the mint back. It will bush out. Ever grow catnip for your cats? It's a mint, too. The cats love it fresh and the more you pinch off the bushier it gets.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3091706;
    Cut the mint back. It will bush out. Ever grow catnip for your cats? It's a mint, too. The cats love it fresh and the more you pinch off the bushier it gets.
    Thanks.

I dont' have kitties, so no catnip.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3091659;
    And planted cilantro and now it's all weird too (I've never planted it before). The big flat leaves are gone and now I have a lacy kind of growth with white flowers)
    Each of those flowers will turn into a seed - those seeds are coriander (yes, they're both the same plant). You can grind them to add to curry or chili dishes.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread