+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 136 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Thanks, Veruka and burntbrat. I'd completely forgotten about foxglove, which is surprisingly because it is one of my favourites. I used to try and grow it at my old house, though, and it never did well, but it is definitely time to give it another go. And I'd also completely forgotten about phlox. I did have some, but I think it fell victim to the arranging and rearranging I've been doing the past couple of years. The bed is now more or less arranged and the fussier plants should rest assured that they will not be disturbed again.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Canuck -- my experience with black eyed susans has always been that they're so hearty nothing water-wise can really kill them. Now rabbits ... that's another story.

Another great resource for figuring out perrenials to grown in specific situation -- shade, or sun, or to make sure you've got blooms through the season, etc -- Springhill Nurseries. They publish great catalogs where they put together various gardens for whichever situation you have. If you buy one of the gardens, they send you all the plants, complete with a diagram to show you exactly how to plant it to make sure everything is the right height / spacing / etc. But if you don't want to go to that extent, they also serve as really good guides for getting ideas on whta kinds of plants you can do.

I'm going to put in some Black-eyed Susans, Bleeding Hearts, and Phlox. I have a few rabbits, but don't seem to have a huge problem. Maybe the possums eat them

Veruka, I like the diagrams and suggestions in Spring Hill also, but I ordered some plants from them one time and was shocked at how small they were considering they are mostly fairly common plants. So, I'd use the chart and not iorder the plants, if it were me.
    Rattus, don't forget ferns!
    Also Helleborus (also called Christmas Rose or Lenten Rose, though it's not a rose) which blooms in winter, trilliums for spring, Jack In The Pulpit, Solomon Seal, Lobelia, Lily of the Valley all grow in shade.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks queenb, I'm going to steal those ideas as well! My neighbour's ferns have spread to my yard so I may move a few to a desired area. I think Lobelia is an annual for us. I'm not that great of a gardener though so you'll have to clue me in if there is a perennial type. I have lots of it in my annual baskets.

FORT Fogey

I was out spreading blood meal today (hello rabbits) and paid attention to the shade side of my house and what I've got planted. In addition to the ferns and others that Queenb mentioend -- I remembered Jacobs Ladder and Columbine, and Astilbe. Columbine has got to be my absolute most favorite flower that ever grew. Every time I look at it, I'm convinced that God had a blast creating that one!

The lobelia is an annual everywhere, but I just love the blue ones. I like having some annuals as well as perinnials because although they only last one season, the flowers last more that the few days or weeks you get from perinnials. Veruka, I like the columbines too. I used to have some that re-seeded and came back every year, but they got crowded out. I need to get out and dig up some of the Crinums (Milk and Honey Lily) in front of my house, as they are now crowding out my Tiger Lilies also--I don't like that! Veruka, aren't you around Atlanta now? Want some massive bulbs this fall?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Any suggestions for keeping the squirrels out of my raspberries? They are planted at the edge of the yard along our wooden fence. The silly squirrels sit on the fence and eat the green berries. I've got some hot pepper wax spray that I could spray on the fence, but I'm afraid of getting it on the plants.

canuckinchile, I wish I could send some of my ferns your way. They are taking over my hostas!!! And they started from just a few transplants from under my deck.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

It would be great if we could all exchange! We bought this house in January when there were feet of snow, so I have the "garden of surprise" this year. The hostas and day lilies need to be split, and I have one lonely peony plant in the wrong place. It is a nice yard but the previous owners went to their cottage every weekend and let the backyard go wild. I'm actually going to fork out for a landscaper crew to come and prune for one day as I can't get a handle on it. I have a big shaded bed near the back under some large trees that is all weeds and 3 hostas. That is my project for this year so I appreciate all the shade plant suggestions. I'll look at some sites as to how to group so it doesn't look "bitty" and also for seasonal variation of colour. It's more complicated than I thought!

queenb: I also love the blue lobelia, especially the trailing kind for baskets.

Hi,fellow gardeners!!!I just found out about this thread and what do you know,I'm an avid gardener for years now.I have a back garden planted mostly with perennials and a front garden that has won a recognition award for 3 of the last 4 years from our local horticultural society.I design and assemble my dozen or so planters and baskets and start some annuals from seeds in the early spring.My garden is more or less like an English garden and I always strive to have continous blooms all through out the season in my Zone 5 area.I think my garden now is maybe about 70% perennials.What started as a very sunny garden is now one third shade after 22 yrs.I've had mistakes in the past and learned from it.For example,I only plant hardy roses now,like explorer roses,Austin roses and some floribundas,instead of hybrid teas.I'm looking forward to sharing or getting some info from some of you.

+ Reply to Thread