+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 126 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey

Re: Gardening

Trust me, rabbit stew has crossed my mind!

I may have to resort to some sort of fence soon. I really don't want to, but I'd like to look out my window and see SOME sort of flowers!

Are dandelions an option? How about Russian thistles? My rabbits don't put a dent in those.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I have a rabbit fence around my green beans and sunflowers. Otherwise they'd eat everything.

I've heard that predator urine is very effective. A former neighbor went the free route and had her husband urinate in a jar. She'd sprinkle it around the perimeter of her flower beds under cover of darkness. She kept it a big secret from her sons because she didn't want them directly donating to the cause.

That method is only for flowers though, not for any vegetables or fruit that are going to be eaten.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3061268;
    Trust me, rabbit stew has crossed my mind!

I may have to resort to some sort of fence soon. I really don't want to, but I'd like to look out my window and see SOME sort of flowers!
    Would you like some chipmunks to go withthat? Theyare cute, but I have at least 15 holes in my yard, that I've seen. And oh yeah, add a dog for more flavor. I went to check my veggies yeasterday and about 1/4 have been destroyed by a digging dog. never mind he'd making the chipmunk holes even bigger. I never actually see the dog tough...thinking about ccalling animal control for a trap, but the paw marks look at least as big as a large Lab.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I'd be glad to throw some venison into the mix. It's taken me five years to find something to keep the damn deer from chowing down on everything in sight - they have a special affinity for my poor peach tree, I do believe they'd walk right over me to get to those peaches. I use a spray called Plantskydd. It's supposed to work on rabbits, too, not sure if you've tried it yet. It works wonders on the deer...it's blood meal based, no chemicals.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

The whole urine thing totally grossed me out, but I think I'm going to have to try it. My mom read that spreading used cat litter will get that job done -- if I promise to pick it up right away, I may be able to get my sister to set her cat litter aside for me. I guess when I'm ready to declare war, I can be grossed out by things like blood meal and urine, huh?

Why don't you just pee in a cup and pour it around your flower beds? Does it have to be male? Or warm?

I'm sorry if that's graphic, but we're all adults here right? If urine would keep the birds away from my strawberries I'd have the neighborhood boys tracing chalk lines in my garden dirt. Well, maybe. Their parents might question me.

It looks like we're going to be going on water restriction soon so my garden, and lawn, and flowers are toast. It only takes a week or so for everything to dry up. The lawn might last a month if the restrictions last that long. My garden was sorry anyway. I guess I got my tomatoes in too late so I had lots of blossoms but no fruit. I had a few peppers but a few peppers go a long way. And then there are the strawberries that the birds have just loved this year. *sigh* I read that growing tomatoes in Houston in the fall is good, so I'm going to try again in August.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I've got to admit I'm skeptical about using urine, because the unleashed animals around here pee and poo all over the place when they aren't busy destroying my plants. And yet the chipmunks and swarms of squirrels aren't detered, and there are sometimes as many as 6 or 7 rabbits in my yard when I get home in the wee hours. The rabbits are a smaller problem because they can only reach as high as they can stand up. Still, if would actually help, I'd keep a coffee can around, the way we used to do at night at my Granny's house

Burntbrat, even when there is a 'total' ban here, we can water vegetable plants, so you might want to check.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Oh shucks queenb, I really needed an excuse for the pitiful state of my garden this year.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Burntbrat, if you choose to give the garden a second shot and want to water, you can use grey water on your vegetables. If you use biodegradable dish soap you can use that, you can put a bucket under the tap while you run your shower water to warm it up, and you can use the water in the pot from steaming vegetables or cooking pasta. Also, it's a really good idea to invest in as many rain barrels as your house can accommodate.

I wouldn't worry about the lawn - lawns always come back.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread