+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 136 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Does anyone know if Burpee's Tenderpod beans are self-pollinating? I emailed Burpee, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm using floating row covers this year to try and keep out the dreaded Mexican Bean Beetle, but if they need insects to pollinate, then I'll have to remove the covers temporarily while they are blossoming. I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I put my tomato plants that I'd grown from seed into the garden today. I hope they survive. They were doing great until a couple of weeks ago, but don't look so hot now. I have to make a note to start them two weeks later next year.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Veejer, you're in luck; most all beans are self pollinating, including 'string bean' type beans, which I assume yours are. I hate the bean beetles too, but not nearly as much as I hate the 'squash vine borer' that ruins my squash every year. Maybe I should make it a point to get some row cover for my squash; it would be a pain but I could uncover them every morning when I get home (so the bees could get at them to pollinate, and cover them again before leaving for work that evening. (THe vine borer is a moth larva)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I just planted a couple of Clematis in the back yard against a garage wall with a trellis. They face south so they should be happy. I was told I need to put a big rock or rocks against the roots to keep them cool. Then I was told that wasn't true. Does anyone have an idea what I need to do to protect the roots from the heat?

Also, I just planted two rhododendrons. They get part sun and shade. Is there anything special I need to do to help them overwinter. Should they be covered with burlap over winter? I've never had them before.

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

For the clematis: You can fit an old plant pot upside down around the roots to protect them. You're in a pretty cold part of the country MK. It depends on the type of rhodo etc. I would check with the gardening center you bought them at. Once they are healthy and established they should be okay, but I don't know about those -40C days that you guys get.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3044893;
    For the clematis: You can fit an old plant pot upside down around the roots to protect them. You're in a pretty cold part of the country MK. It depends on the type of rhodo etc. I would check with the gardening center you bought them at. Once they are healthy and established they should be okay, but I don't know about those -40C days that you guys get.
    Thanks Canuck! The rhodos needed protection from the North Wind which they have. I may just wrap them up in the winter. I'm going to check at a real garden place. I just bought them at Canadian Tire garden centre.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We have 3 different tomatoe plants in my yard. I think I buy them just for the scent of the vines. Vine ripe tomatoes always smell like summer to me. We have a big beef tomatoe plant, a smaller tomatoe plant, and a plant that produces striped tomatoes. We also have a yellow bell pepper plant. And we have two lilac trees we need to plant. They're still young so they won't flower any time soon. My cousin who now lives in Stockton, CA came up to visit around Mother's Day. She grew up here and she said she forgot how green the Seattle area was lol. She also said she's jelous because she really wants a lilac tree and a rhodedendrum bush, but it's way to hot and dry where she lives. She said, "Everybody in Seattle has a rhody bush in their yard!" I had to say, "Well... there is a reason it's Washington's state flower"

Also: if bird seed gets spilled onto the ground, it will inevitably grow i have a random mess of weeds directly under the birdbfeeder that's hanging in one of our plum trees. (we didn't plant them, they came with the property when I bought it almost 20 years ago. And they were fruit producers then)
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I'm glad I'm getting to plant lotsof stuff this year, since i missed out last time. I went a tiny bit overboard with 16 tomatoes, 10 squash hills, and 12 peppers, but that's what a freezer is for. I also got a bunch of sweet potato plants, wich I've never had. All that stuff looks good--I need to tillup another row for lima beans on one side and pole beans on the other, and might even try a few stalks of corn.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3052556;
    I'm glad I'm getting to plant lotsof stuff this year, since i missed out last time. I went a tiny bit overboard with 16 tomatoes, 10 squash hills, and 12 peppers, but that's what a freezer is for. I also got a bunch of sweet potato plants, wich I've never had. All that stuff looks good--I need to tillup another row for lima beans on one side and pole beans on the other, and might even try a few stalks of corn.
    That sounds wonderful! What time is supper? We have tomatoes, okra and bell peppers planted. The 'maters are doing well - the other stuff doesn't look so happy. I think I have a black thumb.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FORT Fogey

Does anyone have any effective ways of combatting pesky rabbits who delight in eating flowers? My mom and I spent an entire weekend digging new flower beds in my yard this year, and planting them. A family of rabbits had delighted in eating most everything we planted. They've eaten brown-eyed susans, cone flowers, and monkey grass all the way down to the ground. They've eated every bloom on gerber daisies as soon as they start to open. Now, they're on to the zinnias. I feel like I've tried everything -- ironite fertilizers, marigolds (which they don't eat, but they sure don't keep them from everything else!), rabbit repellant spray I bought at a nursery, cayenne pepper, tobasco, pinwheels, rubber snakes, ... I even tried one of those high frequency pest control things you plug in (which I didn't think would work well outside, but I figured I'd try it anyway). They are driving me absolutely nuts! And I'm going out of town for a long weekend soon, and can only imagine what kind of damage they can pull off when I'm not around for days to chase them off. Any other ideas?

How is your aim with a slingshot?

I have rabbits by the truckload. They decimate my pea patch every year, but this year I put up a chicken-wire fence around the peas and that was effective. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but you didn't ask about that
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread