+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

My mom uses that stuff and swears by it. I have lots of cardboard boxes I want to get rid of. Maybe I'll cut them down flat and put them all over the garden to kill the grass. Think that would work?
    Count your blessings!

Gut - I don't know if the cardboard boxes would work or not, but it sounds like it's worth a try if you have some time before you are ready to plant. Our garden is really small (10 feet x 2 feet) so we just dug up the weeds and grass and then used the cloth/paper stuff when we got ready to plant the little veggies. I think what we used is designed to keep weeds out of a garden after it is planted instead of killing weeds ahead of time. I'll try to find out the name of that stuff and take a picture over the weekend. Happy gardening!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2948066;
    My mom uses that stuff and swears by it. I have lots of cardboard boxes I want to get rid of. Maybe I'll cut them down flat and put them all over the garden to kill the grass. Think that would work?
    Yes! I use cardboard and save all my newspapers to lay out in areas I don't want weeds or grass popping up. Cover with mulch, and you're good to go. I used to use that landscape fabric, but the crabgrass just laughed at it and grew through it. And on top of it.

I save my newspapers all winter in the garage, and put fresh ones down every spring when I remulch and fertilize. Plus I have piles of earthworms where I use the newspaper.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Well you all would be proud of me. I, the inconsistant gardener, went to the state market today and they had a great sale on herbs. I got basil, parsley, cilantro, mint, curry (smells DIVINE) and chives and thyme. They were 3 for $2. I also got a huge, beautiful red geranium (I have good luck with those) for the front porch. I got home, transplanted everything to pots and the back patio looks fabulous. I also planted some marigold seeds in some smaller pots. The front porch no longer looks desolute with the gorgeous geranium on it.
    I also transplanted the sweetheart rose that I was given on Valentine's Day and miracle of miracles, it was coming back after I almost killed it. It has lots of new growth.

So I hope to have a great herb garden this summer and a nice geranium and rose bush.

And the marigolds, we'll see, I didn't have good luck with them last year, so if they grow, they grow and if not, oh well.

But I do so much better with herbs than other plants, so I'm sticking to them. I use so many fresh herbs, that it will be nice not to have to buy them, but to have them right out the kitchen door.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Myrosiedog, make sure tat 'curry' plant is actually something intended to be eaten before you do so--the only 'curry plant' I've ever heard of is actually related to daisies, and smells herbal, but it's not for cooking. (Curry powder is generally a mix of tumeric, cardamom, etc.)
    I want to put some herbs in my big planters this year--I almost never got rid of the oregano I foolishly planted in my garden spot, but last year's drought finally cooked the last of it . I hope. Anyway, basil, savory, and rosemary aren't invasive and I'd like to have some.
    We are also getting a monster rain today, so I will be able to pull up my tomato cages, finally--they were baked into the ground as if it were concrete, and Ive been unable to move them. So, I should be able to complete my tilling, and plant t-maters and squash by may 1, as planned.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

This is when I get jealous of you southern women. It's not safe to plant here until Memorial weekend. We're having two nights below freezing predicted for the upcoming week.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Queenb, we got your monster rain this afternoon. My rosemary is doing fabulous. I love rosemary and used to have a HUGE bush of it. I like it when it gets big like that as the sticks are GREAT for threading shish kabobs on. GREAT flavor. Plus I like to soak the branches in water and throw on the coals to smoke meat with. It is wonderful.

The "curry" plant was with all the other edible herbs and I asked about it and they said it was edible. It sort of looks like a lighter colored rosemary plant.

I did not plant oregano as I have heard that it takes over. I can't wait for the Basil to grow. I use a LOT of fresh basil too.

It's supposed to get in the 40's tonight here. I can't believe it's almost May and we had over 80 degree weather this week and I was out sunbathing and now we're going back to the 40's.

Speaking of Southern gardening, I went to a talk on Southern Gardens this past week by a "renowned" landscape archetect from Atlanta. What was so interesting is that most of the things we consider "Southern" are actual asian and were brought over here in the 18th and 19th centuries. For instance: gardenias, honeysuckle and I wish I could remember some of the others. It was a very interesting topic and he had beautiful slides and it helped me identify 2 bushes I have in my yard that until now I had NO clue what they were: Japonica
    Last edited by MRD; 04-27-2008 at 04:25 PM.

We had a lot of rain too. MRD - share your secret to growing Rosemary? I had a fairly large plant in a pot last summer and it did well for a long time and then just died! I have a tiny new Rosemary plant in the same big pot and it seems to be doing ok so far. I also planted Oregano in a planter last year and it spread out a lot and draped over the edges of the planter. It looked and smelled great until either a lack of water or my black thumb killed it!

QueenB - looking forward to hearing about your 'maters! With the drought last summer, my green tomatos were fried before I picked them and then I only got a few puny little red ones. I hope this year is better.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2953613;
    We had a lot of rain too. MRD - share your secret to growing Rosemary? I had a fairly large plant in a pot last summer and it did well for a long time and then just died! I have a tiny new Rosemary plant in the same big pot and it seems to be doing ok so far. I also planted Oregano in a planter last year and it spread out a lot and draped over the edges of the planter. It looked and smelled great until either a lack of water or my black thumb killed it!

QueenB - looking forward to hearing about your 'maters! With the drought last summer, my green tomatos were fried before I picked them and then I only got a few puny little red ones. I hope this year is better.
    I ignore the hell out of it until I need to cut some.

Seriously. I think that rosemary doesn't need a lot of water. Because it only gets water when it rains. It survived the winter here well as it's been outside. But all of my rosemary has thrived because I forget its there until I need some to cook with.
    Since I mostly have a black thumb, it's probably thriving because it's relieved I do forget about it.

The snow in the back yard has melted! I see tulip leaves (no flowers), and little green shoots of perrentials poking through the ground and covering of leaves from the fall. Problem is, the forecast is for rain, sleet, and melting snow.

I want to start planting and gardening!! Mother Nature, get it together will ya!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread