+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

We are having the most gorgeous weather and only another week or so before the horrendous blackflies make it uncomfortable to be outside, so I'm enjoying every minute I can. I cut back those black raspberries and raked out the rest of the garden, so now I can watch all the perennials coming back and start weeding out the Queen Anne's Lace and strawberries. Question - I got 2 dwarf junipers last year and one is all green and the other is 1/4 green. Any hints on what might save the ailing one?
    Count your blessings!

I got out today and tilled up my little garden spot, so I guess I'll try to find some manure, compost, or something to make my bed better somewhere...that way i'll be ready to put out my veggies and scater some flower seed by May 1. I don't try earlier anymore, as we usually get a cold snap that ruins everything in April--that happened last week. i had a few plants last year, but hope to have lots more stuff this time, as I'm a bit healthier now
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

If/when we get that tax money I'm thinking of having someone rototill my neglected grassed over veggie garden that hasn't had attention since my cancer diagnosis in '05 (can you believe it's been that long?). I can't do it all by shovel with my leg (would have been really hard if not impossible anyway). I'll have to get some orange tape and mark off where I have mint, chives, etc.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2944054;
    If/when we get that tax money I'm thinking of having someone rototill my neglected grassed over veggie garden that hasn't had attention since my cancer diagnosis in '05 (can you believe it's been that long?). I can't do it all by shovel with my leg (would have been really hard if not impossible anyway). I'll have to get some orange tape and mark off where I have mint, chives, etc.
    Working up a garden can be pretty strenuous, even with two good legs. When I expand my garden, I know that the first pass has to be with a pick and shovel, not the tiller. Yours may not be as bad since it has been garden before; mine was a badly overworked wheat field for at least 50 years before I bought it. You might consider killing off the grass before you have it tilled, or you run the risk of the grass taking over again almost immediately.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'm having trouble envisioning how you would kill off grass in what's to be a veggie garden. Doesn't it involve a lot of poison? Enlighten me.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2944702;
    I'm having trouble envisioning how you would kill off grass in what's to be a veggie garden. Doesn't it involve a lot of poison? Enlighten me.
    You need to cover the area with something opaque and waterproof (garbage bags or a tarp, for example) for at least a month, probably longer. That will kill the grass right down to the roots and it won't come back. Just tilling it under won't kill it and you will get clumps of lawn in the middle of your vegetable garden.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

There are herbicides that will act only on grass--Ortho Grass-b-gon for example. According to the labels that I've read, it's ok to plant about a week after application. Rattus' method will work too, if you have enough lead-time before planting.

Or you can over-graze it with a flock of sheep
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Well I've found out my cherry tree is not ornamental. We are actually getting cherries! .

I'm guessing that last year the Easter freeze killed off the cherries as it did off the other berry bearing trees in my yard (those ARE ornamental and I was glad NOT to have berries being ornamental bird poo on my car from those trees, but they are blooming like crazy this year, so guessing the fall berry crop will be abundant for the birds).
    So now, I'm really looking forward to cherries if the birds don't get to them first.

I am hoping to go to the farmers market this weekend and pick up some basil and other herbs plants. I had great basil success last year and my rosemary is immense. I seem to do much better with herbs than with flowers, so I'm sticking to just a potted herb garden this year
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just planted a bunch of roses... hopefully they will survive (not exactly a green thumb here). Thinking of also growing some tomatoes, and maybe some onions. I don't want to be TOO invested in it though, as we might have to move.

We have two long,narrow flower beds against our back fence. One has roses planted in it and we use the other for veggies in Spring/Summer. It's not that big, so we usually just weed it really well and churn up the dirt with a hoe and then add some fresh dirt. This year, we found this "weed-cloth" stuff at Lowe's. I wish I could remember the real name of it. It comes on a roll and it looks like butcher paper. You cut it to fit the beds and then cut small holes in to to insert the plants. Then, you weight it down with either more dirt or some kind of mulch and it is supposed to keep the garden weed free! It's also biodegradable and it says that it retains moisture for the plants. We've already used it on the veggies (tomatoes, bell peppers and okra!) and we're going to put it in the rose bed this weekend. I hope this works! Happy gardening.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread