+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fan

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2882663;
    Does anyone know whether it is true that Roundup only works in warm weather? There's a bed of ivy in my yard that I want to get rid of. When I have free time, I've been working on pulling it up, but in order to get rid of it all once and for all, I know I'm going to need to spray it with Roundup. I was thinking it'd be easier to go ahead and do that, and then pull up the dead ivy. But I've been told by a couple of people that until it gets hot Roundup won't work. Is that true?
    I don't know about heat and Roundup, but you could try bleach now instead. Roundup is an agent orange derivative, so regardless of what it says on the label, be careful if you are using it in a place where kids/pets will be or where you might be growing food. Not that bleach is totally harmless, but it's half-life is much shorter than Roundup (according to the chemistry majors in my family).

From the labeling on my trusty Roundup bottle . . .

When To Apply
    • Apply when weeds are actively growing
    • For best results, apply during warm, sunny weather (above 60°) to accelerate systemic movement from foliage to roots.
    • Apply when air is calm to prevent drift to desirable plants.
    • RAINPROOF Protection: Rain or watering within 30 minutes of application will not wash away effectiveness.
    • If used to control weeds around fruit or nut trees, cane berries or grapevines, allow 17 days before harvesting.

This is your weed:

This is your weed on Roundup:
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fogey

Thanks Newfherder! I guess I'll just keep on pulling the ivy without help for a little more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2882761;
    This is your weed:
    This is your weed on Roundup:

I'm going outside today to "practice gardening". I'm going to rake the snowbanks so the snow will melt faster. That is my intenion anyway. Hopefully, it will work.
    My home- lots of snow.jpg
    Here is a photo of my front yard. My neighbors are almost all down to grass.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fan

Sigh. Well, we decided to forgo apple trees for now, although we would have loved some. But there are no disease resistant cultivars for the trees we wanted. So cherries and pears it is. I'd have liked more, but I'll settle for planting 5. I'll just have to load up at the farmers market on other things.

I hear, but have not tried this yet, as it is far to soon for cherries to be on my trees, that throwing a net over the top will prevent bird raids. Apparently they will not fly under and up, as it is hard for them to escape afterwards. I will give this a whirl and report back after I see how effective it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2890382;
    I hear, but have not tried this yet, as it is far to soon for cherries to be on my trees, that throwing a net over the top will prevent bird raids. Apparently they will not fly under and up, as it is hard for them to escape afterwards. I will give this a whirl and report back after I see how effective it is.
    I wish cherries would grow in GA, but they won't make fruit here--not enough chill hours. I have seen pictures of those birdproofing nets in my tree and garden catalogs quite a bit, so they must work. I wonder if this is what commercial cherry growers do.

I've got to get out and dig up my veggie spot, and do my first grass cutting of the year. I'm waiting for a Monday/Tuesday that are dry and good gardening weather, and I loook forward to it in a way, but in a way dread it because some stuff never got done last year while I was sick. I do have about a million flower seed packs to throw out, which is easy and fun--I bought a lot the other day, forgetting about the many packs I had last year that I was unable to use.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We planted tomato, bell pepper and okra plants over the weekend. Cucumbers are next, but the store was out of them. We also planted lots of flowers and a few herbs in planters on our patio.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

My Little Sister wanted to help in the garden this weekend and it's still too early for anything but pansies, so we got a couple of flats of pansies and then she helped me put in my fountain/waterfall. We filled the pond and went and got some fish (6/$1) so now I have my favorite spot restored. I put a lot of perrennials in the garden last year and they're mostly all coming back. I still have one more area I need to rake, but I have to prune back some black raspberry canes to get to it. They really spread toward my garden last year so I need to kick some raspberry butt. Since I might be getting a cast and being told to stay off of my leg, at least I have a spot to do that that makes me happy.
    Count your blessings!

My garden is showing signs of life. The radishes and peas are up, and the first potato plants are peeking out. My lilac is starting to bloom, and my wisteria is ready to burst. My driveway is lined with dandelions, and the killdeer are running everywhere. I love spring
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Here in NW Ohio we're several weeks behind you Newf, but Spring has sprung here as well. The daffs and early tulips are blooming, as well as the forsythias and magnolias. Buds are getting fat and some trees are leafing out.

My tomato plants are outside almost all day now and are big enough to transplant, but the ground is still too chilly for that and we still have a threat of frost through mid-May. I hope they aren't monsters before I can get them in the ground.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread