+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1354
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

  1. #521
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Gardening

    I used to get mine from a food co-op I belonged to, but I'm sure I've seen them at a natural food store as well. You're right - you don't want to use treated seeds. I should have mentioned that. My garden is still mostly snow-covered, but I need to get outside with a pair of clippers and start taking down things that grew last year in my crocus bed beside the front door. It's almost time for those to pop up.
    Count your blessings!

  2. #522
    Resident curmudgeon Newfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Enchanted by a beautiful Soprano
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Gardening

    Half of my garden is now ready for planting. I spent odd moments of spare time over the last week turning the soil with a shovel to a depth of about 10" to break up the hard-packed soil, and then tilled it last night (huzzah for daylight saving .) The surface was covered with bunny tracks this morning, so I will need to fence them out when I get the peas planted. I'm going to put landscape fabric between the rows of peas this year--it seems that the weeds overtake my ambition long before the harvest, and this should at least slow them down.

    Tradition dictates that potatoes should be planted on St Patrick's Day, but I may fudge that by a day or two and plant this weekend. In as much as I have no Irish blood, I hope that I can get away with my indiscretion
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

  3. #523
    FORT Fogey veejer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: Gardening

    The leprechauns themselves would have to work some magic to plant potatoes around here next Monday!!!! We still have several inches of snow on the ground. I've never planted potatoes, so don't know when folks around here do. My former neighbor used to.

    My tomato seeds have started to sprout!!!! Our frost free day is around May 21st, but I can usually push the season to Mother's Day weekend if I'm prepared to cover them.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

  4. #524
    She luvs me not?!?!?! Vonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: Gardening

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2830323;
    Thanks for the answer on my rose question burntbrat. It has 3 new sprouts so I am going to try to plant it soon. I guess it pays to be lazy!
    Please keep us updated on your rose bush....err rose stem. Sure hope it works out.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

  5. #525
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Spring
    Posts
    195

    Re: Gardening

    Hi all,
    I'm shopping for trees later today ... all dwarf fruit varieties. We're picking up a honeycrisp, a few columnar apples, two sweet cherries, one tart cherry, and two pears. I'm not worried about the apples or pears, but do any of you have advice for keeping birds away from the cherries? I've heard I can put netting over the tree. If so, what kind do I buy? And do I need to tie it around the tree so there is no way for birds to get in, or just drape it over the top. I'm new at the fruit tree thing, but buying organic fruit is getting so expensive I thought I'd give it a whirl. Thanks in advance.

  6. #526
    FORT Fogey misskitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the Kat House in Kanada
    Posts
    7,704

    Re: Gardening

    I still have snow on the ground. And it's pretty frozen where the snow has melted. No gardening here.....yet.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

  7. #527
    Premium Member burntbrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,311

    Re: Gardening

    Sorry, Cheddar, I don't have fruit trees so I have no advice. Maybe get a cat!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

  8. #528
    Resident curmudgeon Newfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Enchanted by a beautiful Soprano
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Gardening

    I FINALLY got my peas and radishes planted, and just in time for rain (or at least the forecast for rain, a 40% chance of rain means a 60% chance of no rain ) I still need to run a fence around the pea patch. The bunnies pretty well wiped out my peas last year (or maybe two years ago, I'm a little fuzzy on what happened when) and Gustav has signed a peace treaty with them
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

  9. #529
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Spring
    Posts
    195

    Re: Gardening

    Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2879789;
    Sorry, Cheddar, I don't have fruit trees so I have no advice. Maybe get a cat!
    I have two and they are useless as a pest removal service. They make great companions, following me around the house talking to me, letting my toddler roll around on the floor with them, and sleeping on the foot of the bed. In fact, I think they may be dogs trapped in cat bodies. But when presented with a mouse or a bird, both of them actually RUN the other way. Funny little things. So I don't think they'll be much help.

    I hope someone has the answer to this. I'm worried both about my cherry trees and my blueberry bushes.

  10. #530
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Gardening

    Does anyone know whether it is true that Roundup only works in warm weather? There's a bed of ivy in my yard that I want to get rid of. When I have free time, I've been working on pulling it up, but in order to get rid of it all once and for all, I know I'm going to need to spray it with Roundup. I was thinking it'd be easier to go ahead and do that, and then pull up the dead ivy. But I've been told by a couple of people that until it gets hot Roundup won't work. Is that true?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.