+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Premium Member

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2820086;
    Oooh radish seed. Do you collect the thinnings to use in your salads? I love me some radish sprouts. Little kick.
    I never thought of doing that, it sounds really good though. I used to love to grow all different kinds and colors of radishes.

I want to try and start my herb garden from seeds instead of waiting to buy plants. I'm so sick of winter, I need to plant something.

Somewhere in a kitchen drawer are two platic lids with different size lattice grids that you can screw on to any standard (mayo) jar for sprouting seeds to eat. Most people sprout alfalfa or mung beans, but I like to sprout radish seeds. I'm sure cheesecloth would work too. Day one you let the seeds soak in water. Day 2 you drain and rinse through the lid/cloth until it runs clear. Then you rinse through the lid twice a day until you have your sprouts. Sprouts are very, very good for you. All the plant energy is condensed. You have to remember to eat them when they're ready (you can refrigerate them for a couple of days) or they turn to mush. I think toward the end it helps to put them on a windowsill to develop the chlorophyl (green).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2820121;
    I never thought of doing that, it sounds really good though. I used to love to grow all different kinds and colors of radishes.

I want to try and start my herb garden from seeds instead of waiting to buy plants. I'm so sick of winter, I need to plant something.
    I've always started my herbs from seeds and they've turned out well. I've read some places that you should put your seeds in a damp coffee filter in a ziploc bag and then ten days later put the sprouts in dirt. I've just put them directly in the planter box and kept them moist till they sprout.

Today I transplanted all my peppers and tomatoes to their garden spots. My garden looks great, but it's so funny to see the little sprouts in the big cages. I hope they all make it, some of them look pretty weak. But they weren't growing significantly anymore inside so I figured it was time to give them some space. Now I just have to find some way to keep the birds away. I planted the tomatoes in the inside surrounded by peppers. The birds never bother the peppers so I thought it would give me some protection. I might have to invest in one of those electronic owls or a wind thing to spook the birds.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Thanks for the answer on my rose question burntbrat. It has 3 new sprouts so I am going to try to plant it soon. I guess it pays to be lazy!
    It is funny to see tiny little tomatoe plants in the big cages, but it seems like no time until they are huge. I think I am going to try keeping my tomatoes pruned a bit more this year because they pulled the cages down last year they got so big. Any tips on that?
    Happy Gardening! This is my favorite time of year and my health issues are (finally) getting better so hopefully I can get out and start digging soon.

I've never pruned my tomato plants. Sometimes they make the cages lean because they get so big, but usually by then it's too hot and they aren't producing much fruit anyway. Maybe get some stronger cages? I sprung for the $1.50 cages this year because my 88 cent ones were looking pretty ragged. They seem a little more durable.

Has anyone grown spinach before? I have three clumps but I don't know if I should just let them be or if they need to be snipped to make them bushier in the future.

My lavendar is pretty ragged. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They're inside in good sun and I'm not watering them too much. My mother never had any luck with lavendar so maybe it's hereditary.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2830369;
    Has anyone grown spinach before? I have three clumps but I don't know if I should just let them be or if they need to be snipped to make them bushier in the future.

Burntbrat, spinach doesn't get bushy, it's just a leaf--you just cut off how much you want, and don't look for it to come back. You might try planting some more and spreading the seed out more so it's not crowded.
    When you do go pull those little leaves, be sure to rinse them several times--then do it again. You only thought you had all the dirt off!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2820759;
    Somewhere in a kitchen drawer are two platic lids with different size lattice grids that you can screw on to any standard (mayo) jar for sprouting seeds to eat. Most people sprout alfalfa or mung beans, but I like to sprout radish seeds. I'm sure cheesecloth would work too. Day one you let the seeds soak in water. Day 2 you drain and rinse through the lid/cloth until it runs clear. Then you rinse through the lid twice a day until you have your sprouts. Sprouts are very, very good for you. All the plant energy is condensed. You have to remember to eat them when they're ready (you can refrigerate them for a couple of days) or they turn to mush. I think toward the end it helps to put them on a windowsill to develop the chlorophyl (green).
    A brand new pair of knee high stockings works well too. I can usually get them at the dollar store. They fit right over the mouth of the mayonaisse jar and make it easy to rinse the sprouts/seeds. I do also secure with a rubber band to make sure it doesn't come off.
    LOVE Alfalfa spourts on sandwiches and salads
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2830601;
    Burntbrat, spinach doesn't get bushy, it's just a leaf--you just cut off how much you want, and don't look for it to come back. You might try planting some more and spreading the seed out more so it's not crowded.
    When you do go pull those little leaves, be sure to rinse them several times--then do it again. You only thought you had all the dirt off!
    Thanks queenb! The leaves aren't big enough to use yet so I'll let them be until they look like the baby spinach in a bag I get at the store.

My mom grows spinach and she mixes the seed with dry sand so it is easier to sprinkle around and not sow too close together. She has the most awesome garden. Flowers and veggies all mixed together around the house and back fence. Everyone in the neighborhood brings her their bagged grass after they mow. Some of it she throws in her compost bin (huge chicken wire enclosure) and some she uses for mulch. And her roses are to die for. Many many varieties. She's always taking flower arrangements to housebound friends, people in the hospital, anyone she thinks needs cheering up. Don't get the wrong impression - she's as far from a saint as you can get in an older woman.
    Count your blessings!

Gut or mrd, where do you get alfalfa, mung bean, or radish seeds to sprout? A garden center, health food store, or somewhere else? I've wanted to do it, but all the instructions I've read have cautioned so much on not using seeds that are to be planted as they may have been treated with a fungicide.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread