+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Gardening....I'M UNDER ATTACK!!!

My fellow Forters,
    Has anyone ever had to deal with groundhogs? I have a family of 6 living in and under my garage. I am looking for a rather humane way of getting them the hell out of Dodge, but I really am at my wits end. In my town, it is the home owners responsibility and $$$$ to have any stray, rabid or wild animal removed. My lawn looks like a placid scene out of Saving Private Ryan and my garage is starting to smell like Jabba the Hutt's bath water. Does anyone have any advice????
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Re: Gardening....I'M UNDER ATTACK!!!

Oh no aliasmq! When we had them when I was a kid, the gardener just took care of it so I don't actually know how. My dog used to grab them now and again thinking they were toys.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2796280;
    so could my mother. insert dead twig, next couple weeks whatever it is fluorishes, next year biggest darn whatever in the neighborhood.
    That sounds so much like my grandmother. People used to drive by in the spring to see the azaleas she grew in full bloom. The people that have the house now have removed every bush, shrub, plant and tree. I could have cried. That yard was her masterpiece.

We also never went anywhere to visit that we didn't come home with "cuttings". Every friend or relative, we got "cuttings" out of their garden and she's been known to stop on the side of the road to get a "cutting" and of course, all her "cuttings" sprouted and grew into wonderful lush plants.

She also had the most beautiful Gerber daisies. I could practically do no wrong in this woman's eyes until I picked all the Gerber's. I got a spanking for it too. I think she cried when she saw what I had done. But I had a beautiful bouquet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2796602;
    Oh no aliasmq! When we had them when I was a kid, the gardener just took care of it so I don't actually know how.
    Maybe like this?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2796800;
    Maybe like this?

Ha, now all I can hear is that song: "I'm all right" in my head.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

OMG...I love Caddyshack!!! It still cracks me up...
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2796547;
    I have a rose question. Last year was my first year growing roses. Before I pruned them I cut off my last bloom and put it in a vase...being as how I'm lazy, the rose stayed in the vase (dead) for a while, when I went to throw it out I noticed the stem had started sprouting new shoots. Can I plant this now? Is this normal? I cut off the dead bloom and stuck the stem back in the water. Any suggestions on what I should do with it now??? Thanks!
    I have no idea but if you can grow roses from dead ones, then I'm keeping my Valentine's day roses in that darn vase until they start sprouting! I searched on the web and came up with this site. Look down at the comments section; someone had a similar thing happen.

@}---\- ╗ Cut roses care @ HortChat.comę
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasmq;2796577;
    My fellow Forters,
    Has anyone ever had to deal with groundhogs? I have a family of 6 living in and under my garage. I am looking for a rather humane way of getting them the hell out of Dodge, but I really am at my wits end. In my town, it is the home owners responsibility and $$$$ to have any stray, rabid or wild animal removed. My lawn looks like a placid scene out of Saving Private Ryan and my garage is starting to smell like Jabba the Hutt's bath water. Does anyone have any advice????
    aliasmq, Some garden centers sell "coyote urine" which works to scare away unwanted mammals on property. Some of my neighbors used it near plants that deer were munching on and it worked. You could ask more at your local garden/hardware type store. Hope this helps!

Only two weeks until potato planting!! I bought my seed potatoes yesterday, along with some peas. I'm not planning as big as I did last year, especially since most of it never happened, but 'taters and peas are a given in my garden. I should probably pick up some radish seed, too
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Oooh radish seed. Do you collect the thinnings to use in your salads? I love me some radish sprouts. Little kick.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread