+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 126 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gardening

MRD

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2788995;
    Ha! I was trying to describe them (along with mud season) to Dan. I grew up in Ohio and went to school in Arizona and had never met a black fly until I moved to Mass. I have a theory that if you didn't grow up exposed to black flies your body responds more strongly to their bites. The first few years I had horrible reactions, but not so much now (a proud New Englander for almost 30 years!). I can't wait to get gardening! We have February vacation the week after next and I'm going to do some pruning and raking if the ground isn't covered with snow. Heh.
    That apparantly doesn't work with mosquitos. I lived in Florida all my life and the mosquitos and fire ants were horendous to me the entire time.

I can't seem to want to get into the gardening mood like last year. Maybe when it starts to warm up a bit more. But some of the trees are already budding.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've got some early daffodils and a few little crocus plants blooming already. You can't help but smile when you see those pretty little yellow flowers poking up through the mulch.

Mosquitos. Ugh. You'd never know we were in a severe drought last summer by the swarms of those nasty things. Thank god for the bats and chimney swifts that eat 'em up...that's why I don't mind one bit when the swifts nest in my chimney, though it drives the cat insane listening to peeping babies that he can't see.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2789441;
    I've got some early daffodils and a few little crocus plants blooming already. You can't help but smile when you see those pretty little yellow flowers poking up through the mulch.

Mosquitos. Ugh. You'd never know we were in a severe drought last summer by the swarms of those nasty things. Thank god for the bats and chimney swifts that eat 'em up...that's why I don't mind one bit when the swifts nest in my chimney, though it drives the cat insane listening to peeping babies that he can't see.
    Wayward, the mosquitos in Florida are huge. Like B-52 bombers. At least you can see to swat them. The ones in SC are tiny and vicious little suckers. And I have to give this spiel at the museum that the lowcountry settlers came to the upcountry to escape the mosquitos and yellow fever in the summer. And I'm thinking the whole time I'm telling this, the mosquitos up here are terrible, how bad are they in Charleston?

Yeah, why didn't they go away during the drought?

My husband was in Myrtlebeach earlier this week and he said stuff was already blooming there. STill a little too cold up here, but I can tell its coming soon. Yeah, can't wait.

MRD

I was given a minature or "sweetheart" rose bush. I have NO clue how to take care of it. I want to start it in a pot as we are renting and will eventually want to plant it when we get somewhere more permanent.

I don't want to kill it, so how do you take care of a rose bush?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2795870;
    I was given a minature or "sweetheart" rose bush. I have NO clue how to take care of it. I want to start it in a pot as we are renting and will eventually want to plant it when we get somewhere more permanent.

*insert smarta** "Don't let Waldo pee on it answer* But seriously I have a black thumb I kill everything - wish I could help.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2795876;
    *insert smarta** "Don't let Waldo pee on it answer* But seriously I have a black thumb I kill everything - wish I could help.
    I'm more worried about him eating it. (I just watched Please don't Eat the Daisies not too long ago and thought of Waldo)

I have a black thumb too and my grandmother could put a dead stick in the ground and it would grow.

My mom swears that the trick to growing roses is that they like their roots packed FIRMLY in soil. She grows beautiful roses so I defer to her.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2795893;
    I'm more worried about him eating it. (I just watched Please don't Eat the Daisies not too long ago and thought of Waldo)

I have a black thumb too and my grandmother could put a dead stick in the ground and it would grow.
    so could my mother. insert dead twig, next couple weeks whatever it is fluorishes, next year biggest darn whatever in the neighborhood.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2795870;

Sorry, mrd, I'm no good with roses.

I have a rose question. Last year was my first year growing roses. Before I pruned them I cut off my last bloom and put it in a vase...being as how I'm lazy, the rose stayed in the vase (dead) for a while, when I went to throw it out I noticed the stem had started sprouting new shoots. Can I plant this now? Is this normal? I cut off the dead bloom and stuck the stem back in the water. Any suggestions on what I should do with it now??? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread