+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 127 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    (I found a zucchini cake recipe that helps use up the plethora of zucchinis, as well as giving to friends),
    Can you post that in the recipe thread? I zucchini!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Hello Green Thumbies. What a good thread. I can't plant right now because I'm enjoying my winter SNOW. However, I've lost many long-term perrenials in my yard due to bad springs, where it warms up, then freezes, then warms, then freezes. It's frustrating.

I lost my mini bleeding hearts, astilbe, roses, blooming sage, irises, lillies, crocus, and others. The only things that are left are my poppies, and hostas. I dumped containers of butterfly flower seeds, and nighttime seeds but nothing grew. I need something hardy because we're zone 5+.

One question I have is if anyone knows of anything that grows in the needles of Christmas trees. Not directly under one, but beside them as they are 60+feet tall now and the needles drop quite a ways around my flower beds. I've only found lillie of the valley, , and wolfsbane which didn't survive. Any ideas?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Yardgnome is right about how fun it is to pick your own fresh herbs as needed, and basil is my true love. I make and freeze pesto in the summer, then enjoy it year-round. Yum.
    Roses I also did the frozen pesto, it is so wonderful to have all the time. Last summer I had so much basil I was looking up other uses for it and found I can make flavored oils with it. You just rough chop the basil and put it in a bottle of olive oil. Let it sit for about 2 weeks and then you have wonderful basil oil. I used the basil oil in everything from salad dressings to starting soup or spaghetti sauce. It lasts for about a month but is nice for little gifts and cooking. The place where I found the recipe said you can use any herb, this summer I am going to try some different kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    One question I have is if anyone knows of anything that grows in the needles of Christmas trees. Not directly under one, but beside them as they are 60+feet tall now and the needles drop quite a ways around my flower beds. I've only found lillie of the valley, , and wolfsbane which didn't survive. Any ideas?
    misskitty, you might try pachysandra. It's hardy zones 4 through 8 and will grow pretty much anywhere. It is pretty invasive though, and quite overused, but it is an effective way to fill in bare ground underneath trees.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Can you post that in the recipe thread? I zucchini!
    Done. http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...109post1825109.

Yardgnome, thanks for the tip about the flavored oils. I love cooking with olive oils, and frankly it never occurred to me to do this, so thank you. About the pesto, I got a tip years ago to pour the pesto into old ice trays, then once frozen, pop them out into plastic baggies. It's so convenient to use as many cubes as needed when you're cooking.
    Last edited by roseskid; 03-15-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Have you tried Perwinkle? I had that at my old house and it seemed like nothing killed it and it grew like crazy.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Misskitty - azaleas like an acid soil. Make sure you get a hardy one, because there are different kinds. You could also go to your local garden center and ask. They will know what will work in your zone. One of my favorite add-ins for flavored oils is chive flowers. They turn the oil purple and give it a delicate onion flavor.
    Count your blessings!

I transplanted my brussel sprouts into the garden today, just in time for a spell of wet, cold (but probably above freezing) weather. I didn't have a chance to harden them off (they are already getting leggy) but I guess they'll take their chances with the weather and rabbits like everything else.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    Last summer I had so much basil I was looking up other uses for it and found I can make flavored oils with it. You just rough chop the basil and put it in a bottle of olive oil. Let it sit for about 2 weeks and then you have wonderful basil oil. I used the basil oil in everything from salad dressings to starting soup or spaghetti sauce. It lasts for about a month but is nice for little gifts and cooking. The place where I found the recipe said you can use any herb, this summer I am going to try some different kinds.
    Great idea, yardgnome! I'm going to try that.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I have a gooseberry bush divided from my grandmother's decades ago and moved twice. Does anyone else here have gooseberries? I just love to eat them - not bake with them.
    I do! I do! The first things I planted when I bought my cottage in Michigan were rhubarb, gooseberry bushes and red currant bushes...all old reliable treats from my farm-y upbringing. When I lived in the city full-time, the only thing I could buy (even at Farmer's Markets) was rhubarb and I ached to have the taste of all that wonderfully tart fruit.

The yields are amazing on my land; I freeze quarts and quarts of the berries and rhubarb and then enjoy it throughout the year. However, I'm down to my last 3 bags of the stuff, so I'm chomping at the bit for Spring to arrive. Also, I had 6 strawberry plants left over from an installation in 1999 and planted them haphazardly in the garden. They are now thee groundcover in that area and I get so many strawberries each year, I have to beg my friends to come and harvest them! By late June, we're so burnt out on strawberries that I leave them to decay and spread their seeds around the yard. Two years ago, I found new strawberries growing along the path to my front door and last year they also started to produce. So, I can now go two feet outside and pop strawberries in my mouth!

There is an AMAZING dessert that I make each year called Queen of Summer Pudding that requires strawberries, currants, gooseberries, blackberries and two other berries. It's a molded dessert, like trifle; very British. ("pudding" is the U.K.'s name for our "dessert".) My friend, Claire, whom I made it for years ago, requests it as her ONLY present from me each year; she claims her birthday isn't complete without it. When it's unmolded, you cover each slice with orange-flavoured whipped cream...man, now I'm hungry for a piece of it right now!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread