+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 127 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2776487;
    We planted a bunch of seeds in a large pot and they grew, but before we had a chance to pull the leaves, they died off. I wasn't paying much attention to them, that's mr. buglover's job...lol
    Since mine also died in the pot, maybe pot gardening cilantro's the trouble. If you have a garden, you could try planting some amongst the flowers. That's where the reseeded ones ended up growing anyway and they didn't look unattractive amidst the posies. And I think it might keep some types of bugs away.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We live in apartments but once we get a house I'm sure we'll be planting a large garden since I love fresh vegetables and organic!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Has anyone had any success at keeping Mexican Bean Beetles from devouring their bean plants? If so, please share how you accomplished it.

I haven't grown green beans in several years because the crop was decimated and it was discouraging, but I'd really like to try again. After doing some research, I'm thinking of using floating row covers and planting marigolds near the beans.

I had the same problem veejer. I grew beans and loved them fresh from the garden for years and then one year, those $@#*&$ beetles were everywhere. I tore all the plants down and double-bagged them in black garbage bags with beetles, beans, and all and never had the nerve to grow them again.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2786179;
    I had the same problem veejer. I grew beans and loved them fresh from the garden for years and then one year, those $@#*&$ beetles were everywhere. I tore all the plants down and double-bagged them in black garbage bags with beetles, beans, and all and never had the nerve to grow them again.
    At least we can commiserate about them Gutmutter. I'm also going to try and get my seeds in the ground just as soon as it is warm enough. Somewhere I read that the beetles are worse as the season progresses. I'll let you know what happens.

Oooooh - new info veejer! I love to gamble with early plantings and if that's all it takes, I'm on!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2786151;
    Has anyone had any success at keeping Mexican Bean Beetles from devouring their bean plants? If so, please share how you accomplished it.
    Move to Canada. Bugs don't survive after -30C!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The legendary black flies seem to survive.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2788544;
    The legendary black flies seem to survive.
    Ouch!!!! Just the memory of black fly bites is painful.

Ha! I was trying to describe them (along with mud season) to Dan. I grew up in Ohio and went to school in Arizona and had never met a black fly until I moved to Mass. I have a theory that if you didn't grow up exposed to black flies your body responds more strongly to their bites. The first few years I had horrible reactions, but not so much now (a proud New Englander for almost 30 years!). I can't wait to get gardening! We have February vacation the week after next and I'm going to do some pruning and raking if the ground isn't covered with snow. Heh.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread