+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 136 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Burntbrat! I can't even imagine having all those bees in my house. That is truly an experience to remember and hopefully not have to re-live again. My goodness! I'm very glad they were able to get them out safely and re-locate them. I've never heard that done before.

Gutmutter: Hmmm. A glass hive for bees? What are you thinking?

We had snow today. No bees here
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I still have flowers blooming in my garden and the colorful leaves are still on the trees! What a bizarre autumn.
    Count your blessings!

We didn't get much of a fall color show because of the drought. They're just going brown and falling.

Here's a weird question: am I the only one who thinks that paperwhites stink? I tried growing them a few years ago for the holidays, believing that they had a pleasant fragrance, but....bleah. I'm afraid to try them again this year. Did I do something wrong?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Burnt, it's incredible to think there were another 20,000 bees that were at the 'office' when the beekeeper was there earlier in the day. I also applaud you for not having KILL be your first choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2647775;
    Here's a weird question: am I the only one who thinks that paperwhites stink? I tried growing them a few years ago for the holidays, believing that they had a pleasant fragrance, but....bleah. I'm afraid to try them again this year. Did I do something wrong?
    No you didn't, and no you're not the only one to think this. A friend gave me a medium-sized pot for Christmas several years ago that was filled with them. They were so beautiful, I put them on the table as part of my centerpiece then busied myself preparing the rest of the food. We all sat down and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the horrible smell was, but quickly figured out it was the flowers. Since I didn't want to hurt her feelings I made the excuse of needing a little more room on the table and moved them to the living room. I'm with you - pretty to look at, but stink to high heaven. I guess the same could be said for Matthew McConaugh.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fanatic

)
    Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2645979;
    The beekeeper got tons of wax and about a gallon of honey. He's going to process some and bring it back tonight. I only asked for a small jar though. It would take decades for us to eat a gallon!

Burntbrat, I was thinking...with Christmas coming on, jars of your very own honey, with a cute little label-o the labels you could make ("farmed from our own hive in our walls and gathered at great expense") would make irresistable little prezzies and give you a great conversation piece, too.
    Last edited by onewally; 11-05-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Unfortunately, onewally, I'm afraid of the honey and we only got one small jar. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. It looks like regular honey but it hasn't been pasteurized or whatever so... um... anyone want some honey?? No, I'm sure it's fine. It's just weird eating something that you know has been in your walls with the fiberglass insulation and such.

Here's the end to the honey bee saga at my house. They had to come back several times because the place in the house where the bees set up shop was so inconvenient for extraction. It was in a wall where they had access to at least five other walls (it's a weird setup with jutting windows and such). The bees kept moving and they kept hearing buzzing. Finally, they sprayed some dust inside the walls to make the bees restless or something. Then they left for a week. When they came back, we were silent and bee free. Then the beekeeper told me what I had to do to keep the bees from coming back. Earlier this week I finally got the courage to get up in that hole and fill it with insulation like the beekeeper told me to. But darned if he isn't a little scammer. That hive did NOT extend a foot in any direction. He left tons of wax and stuff clinging to the inside of the walls, too. I started to try to scrub the wax off but got freaked out. So instead I just doused everything with bleach and water and then stuffed it full of insulation. Plus I saw the hole the bees were getting in and filled it with plumber's putty (which, as a side note, the beekeeper was using to plug his drilling holes. He said he was using something else that the bees couldn't get through, but I'm no dope and it was plumber's putty). Overall I think we did well. Exterminators would've killed the bees and charged twice as much. But still, he was totally exaggerating on our hive. It wasn't that big. Now I have to pay $450 to get the hole fixed because I'm crappy at drywall and wouldn't know where to begin.

So love your honey bees because they are gentle creatures who give us much, and cause me much pain in the wallet.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Huh. Well at least the whole thing is behind you now. I'd be afraid of that honey, too. I'm still going to recommend that you go to your local library and get out "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. It is a very popular book (fiction) that it sounds like you would enjoy about a girl coming of age in the south in the 60's without a mother. That doesn't even begin to tell you what the story is about. Everyone I know who has read it loved it.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2673857;
    . Now I have to pay $450 to get the hole fixed because I'm crappy at drywall and wouldn't know where to begin.

burntrat..that's sounds like too much to patch a hole, even a big hole. please get estimates...call painters-they do drywall repair- as well as drywallers. I'm not completely sure, but it's not a complicated repair. They cut a piece of drywall to fit, then tape, mud and paint. If you have a template of the hole, Home Depot would probably even cut it for you. Someone reading this can probably tell you if that's not right.

How big is the hole? I'll ask the man in the house...we have 3 buildings and do a lot of painting and hole patching, the painter does it all the time. We're in Chicago where labor is pretty expensive.

I am so sorry this happened to you-I knew when you first mentioned it that having bees hanging around wasnt a good sign.
    Last edited by onewally; 11-18-2007 at 02:03 AM.

onewally, thanks so much for the concern. But I love the company/individual who will be doing the patch work. They recently added a room to my house and they were amazing. They're perfectionists, I trust them, and they already have the key to my house so I don't even have to be home. I'm sure it's not a $450 job because the hole doesn't look that big. I just can't do it myself because I don't see where I would nail it in I would rather it look like there wasn't a hole at all. I figure the extra money is worth my piece of mind and the company has definitely earned it.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

They only charged me $200 and you can't even tell there was a hole there

BUT... I came to revive this thread because I planted my seeds for next season and I'm so excited! They had these jiffy packs at Wal-Mart for $3.50 and I got two of them (50 pots a piece). I know some of you in colder climates aren't ready to think about planting but if I don't start my tomatoes now they'll burn up later. I started 50 (yes 50) lavendar plants because I have two large beds that I think they will work in. One is next to my driveway and I think it will be optimal, the other is against the house and I'm afraid it will be too wet, but I'm going to try anyway. I started 12 sweet peas (flowers) to mix in with the lavendar, 6 marigolds to attract bees, 8 different peppers, a bunch of different tomatoes, some peas, and strawberries. I'm not so sure about the strawberries because I just cut a chunk off some moldy strawberries I had in the crisper. It should work, right? Well, we'll see in a few weeks. I've got sprouts already for some of the plantings, so that's good! I also planted basil, cilantro, and spinach in my windowbox. I had basil and parsley in it last year and they blew up. I had so much basil and parsley I was giving it away. My mother-in-law was in awe. I hope the spinach does well. I hate buying the stuff in the bag at the store because it goes bad so fast and we don't use that much. I just mix it in with salads and feed some to the hamsters. I'm very optimistic for this year. I have grand plans. I hope it all works out. I just have to figure out how to keep the birds away from the tomatoes and the berries (they always leave the peppers alone). I know someone said something about aluminum foil once so I'm going to have to research that. Do you think if I put out a bird feeder with seed they'd leave my veggies alone or would it attract more birds? I don't mind feeding them some, but damn, leave some tomatoes for me stingy birds.

+ Reply to Thread