+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 133 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on keeping outdoor plants indoors. They are doing ok in my back entrance which doesn't have heat but gets sunshine. I'll have to move them inside the house if they survive by the time the snow falls.

I haven't watered my bulbs anymore, but Gracie did dig up around some and peed on them. Maybe that will help?!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2611525;
    You're bad. So if I did that, do they hibernate? What do they eat? I'm seriously not into caulking up the old leaky aquarium for a bunch of goldfish. Most of them were 6/$1 feeder fish that would have been someone's dinner back in May. But they are huge now and gorgeous. Guilt, guilt.
    Gut: I know my Mother-in-law overwinters her fish in a cold part of Canada. Here is a link to a website that might help:

Overwintering Pond Fish

THANK YOU CANUCK! That site was most helpful... it actually sounds better for the fish to leave them in than try to aquarium them! That makes my life easier. Glad to know, too, to not to feed them as much and switch to a fall and winter feed. I'll have to go look for that. Thanks again! I love this place. Someone always has answers.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter: Do you have any photos of your fishies in their pond?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Anybody have any tips on growing lavendar? I love the smell and am thinking about growing a whole bed of it next year in my back yard. Just for the smell. I have a patch in my backyard that is waiting for something. A beautiful flock of lavendar would be perfect but I don't want to raise my hopes. I'm in Houston so it's usually pretty hot down here. Do I have a chance?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2612818;
    Anybody have any tips on growing lavendar?
    I love the smell of lavendar as well. I've tried it in the yard but have had more success growing it in small pots on the patio and in our sunroom. We're in Alabama, so it is hot here too. I'd suggest trying Lavendar in pots or planters instead of in the yard. I have a very sad looking Lavendar plant (in a pot) which I water all the time. It still smells great, but looks like it is on death's doorstep. I hope this helps and good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I was going to say that if you live somewhere cold to mulch it. It will come back year after year and then get frozen out if one winter gets too cold here. Have you tried searching the web for pointers?
    Count your blessings!

I did search online for tips, Gutmutter, and it looks like they love the heat, but they don't like the humidity. So I might be able to grow it if I space the plants far enough apart so they dry out in the sun. I'm going to try it next year (not in the bed I had picked originally, but another one that is really sunny and kills everything else).

Today my neighbor pointed out a hive of buzzing things under one of the eaves on my house. He said they looked liked honey bees but he wasn't sure. So I joked around that I'd get out the hose after dark and spray them out then run for cover. But then I wanted to find out exactly what they were just in case they actually were honey bees (but I seriously doubted it, all we get are nasty wasps around here.) I tried to take a picture and I actually got pretty close without them even caring. But they wouldn't hold still. Miraculously there was one that had died right in front of the door closest to the hive, so I compared it to pictures online and I really do have a honey bee hive on the side of my house!! It's kind of in a bad place because it's right along my driveway, where all the kids play and where we can't avoid it. But I just can't bring myself to kill it. I've read that there is a honey bee shortage and I am kind of selfish in that I want them to pollenate my garden next spring I really was very close to their hive and they didn't even care about me, so I'm hoping it won't be a problem with the kids if the hive gets any bigger. If it is, I'm going to try to find a place that will move the hive rather than kill it. My neighbors liked the idea of keeping it, too. I just hope that our landscapers don't try to get rid of it.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

burtbrat - I've heard stories of honeybees getting inside your walls and creating a real problem. Are you sure they don't have access to get inside? You could always look in the phone book or online for the nearest beekeeper. They could move the hive without killing them. We are expecting our first hard frost tonight so I need to get out and finish up the garden things that need to be done. I tend to procrastinate until I don't have a choice. Luckily I don't have other plans today other than laundry and dishes.
    Count your blessings!

Burntbrat, in our local "farmer's bulletin" there are people that advertise that they will come pick up "hanging swarms" ( A big wad of bees gathered around a queen bee !! )
    Whatever you do, be careful that the dead bee wasn't just a coincidence--honeybees don't build their own hives, but make honeycomb inside a hollow tree, old building, or manmade beehive, out of the weather. If you see any kind of "nest" under the eaves, it has to be wasps, I'm pretty sure. Not to bubble bust, because a beehive would be kid of cool, but a hornet's nest, not so much. i don't want to hear of you getting attacked!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread