+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Since we've already had a frost, I decided to quickly plant a few bulbs. I hope they come out smiling in the spring. With our terrible winters and spring melts and freezings, I've lost a lot of plants; bulbs and perrenials.

Here's what I planted today: 3 Lilium Starburst (new for 2007), Bellevalia, Allium Hair, Fritillaria, and Allium.

Attachment 22043Attachment 22044Attachment 22045Attachment 22046Attachment 22047
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

This is a general question about plants. Does anyone know what outside basic annual plants can be taken indoors and kept overwinter as an indoor plant?

I'm trying a coleus and something cute that I forgot the name of. Is it true that if it has flowers, it won't grow inside because it needs bees?

I have no idea.

If it's an annual, that means it only lives one season anyway, misskitty, so no need trying to save it. As for growing flowering plants indoors, you can, as long as you have enough of the right kind of light. Most regular flowers (as opposed to some vegetable blooms, shrubs, etc) don't have to be cross pollinated (by bees or whatever) to produce seed as long as some pollen falls into the middle of the flower--anyway, the flowers themselves are not caused by pollination or lack of it-- a flower is actually a plant's sex organ and occurs under the right conditions whether it ever gets used or not.

Anyway, good luck with the bulbs this Spring!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

You might be thinking of things like gladiolas, begonias, palms, etc. They are bulb (or corm) plants that won't over-winter. I should be thinking of bringing mine in soon. I always wish I had planted more bulbs when spring comes around. Maybe this year I'll do it.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I finally found some bulbs to plant. They're all in the blue family. I'll perk them up next year with some colorful perrennials.

Thanks queenb!

Another question about bulbs. I planted some and watered them when I did that but I haven't planted since. We've had a coupleof mornings of frost but it's about 60F degrees today. Should I water the bulbs again before it freezes for winter? Or should I just leave them be?

Again, I have no idea. D'oh!

I've never watered bulbs. Hmmm. I have a lot to do before we get a frost. It has been so warm I've been putting it off. I have some giant palm-type bulbs - elephant ears, and something bronzish that put up a beautiful red exotic flower. I am going to have to calk up an old fish tank and bring in the goldfish that got huge over the summer in my pond. Anyone have experience with pond fish? Leave them in? Nah. Surely not. It's only about 3-4 feet deep and we get a long cold winter here in New England.
    Count your blessings!

As long as the pond doesn't freeze solidly down to the very bottom, they should be all right Or you can bread them and deep-fry them Your call.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2581698;
    This is a general question about plants. Does anyone know what outside basic annual plants can be taken indoors and kept overwinter as an indoor plant?

I'm trying a coleus and something cute that I forgot the name of. Is it true that if it has flowers, it won't grow inside because it needs bees?

I have no idea.

coleus is a great indoor plant. If it's way bigger than you want indoors, or you want to make more plants, just cut off stems and root them in water. They'll stay nice in water for a long time as long as you keep the water fresh. I overwintered coleus like this one time. A big coleus that's going to die in the frost anyway makes a gorgeous bouquet, btw.

The bee thing isnt true. But flowering plants dont flower indoors unless you give them conditions to flower-the right number of hours of artificial light per day, the right temp, the right amount of water, etc etc. it's a whole science, growing things in greenhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2609518;
    As long as the pond doesn't freeze solidly down to the very bottom, they should be all right Or you can bread them and deep-fry them Your call.
    You're bad. So if I did that, do they hibernate? What do they eat? I'm seriously not into caulking up the old leaky aquarium for a bunch of goldfish. Most of them were 6/$1 feeder fish that would have been someone's dinner back in May. But they are huge now and gorgeous. Guilt, guilt.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread