+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 136 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Gardening

I love your yard and your house Rattus....it looks like the perfect place to hang out and have a cool drink right as the sun is setting....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Love the house front!!

My raspberries are finally here after years of waiting(and "help" from my friends who mowed the shoots down every year). I have to say they're very tasty! Do I just cut them down in the fall?

Help please! My garden is doing great this year. I just picked my first basket of tomatoes and zucchini. The peppers and corn are doing great. My cucumbers however are giving me problems that I have never had before.The plant (I only plant one cucumber because with just two of us that is usually more than enough) is really healthy and I have tons of baby cucumbers but as soon as the cucumbers get about an inch long, they turn yellow and fall off. This has never happened to me before. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Another question is, I have about a million tiny white flies infesting my zucchini plant. I don't like using pesticides on my veggies and even if I did use them, I have a family of frogs, I think it's a mama and many babies that live in the plant and I don't want to hurt them. I'm sure they are eating their share of the flies but there are SO many of them. Does anybody know of a safe way I can get rid if the flies.

Thanks in advance.

I have two cucumber plants and while they are really spreading out and flowering, I have no cucumbers yet. I'll be honest...the last time I planted and tended anything other than tomatoes was when I was 14 and helped my step-dad with our garden. I just can't remember if this is normal or not. Any thoughts?

My tomatoes are doing pretty good. They are full and heavy with tomatoes, but they are all still small and green. I am waiting for them to turn red....although I always pick a few of the big green ones and make fried green tomatoes. I'm the only one who will eat them, but I look forward to it every year!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2474687;
    ....Another question is, I have about a million tiny white flies infesting my zucchini plant. I don't like using pesticides on my veggies and even if I did use them, I have a family of frogs, I think it's a mama and many babies that live in the plant and I don't want to hurt them. I'm sure they are eating their share of the flies but there are SO many of them. Does anybody know of a safe way I can get rid if the flies.

Thanks in advance.
    Neem oil is amazing. It's a plant oil and safe for good creatures, and even beneficial for bees (and I hear it's a great hair conditioner but I never tried it that way.) It's all I use for white flies, mites, fungus. I get the Green Light brand but there may be others. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2474687;
    My cucumbers however are giving me problems that I have never had before.The plant (I only plant one cucumber because with just two of us that is usually more than enough) is really healthy and I have tons of baby cucumbers but as soon as the cucumbers get about an inch long, they turn yellow and fall off. This has never happened to me before. Does anybody know what might be causing this?
    Thanks in advance.
    I hate cucumbers so never grow them, but when it happens with squash, cucumbers, and so forth the first guess is that they aren't getting pollinated. I don't know why the zucchini would be getting bee activity but not the cucumbers, though. (Maybe they are queen-bs and don't like them )
    Second guess is calcium deficiency--you can try a blossom end-rot spray (it's just a calcium supplement ) and see if it helps.

My tomato plants are covered with gren tomatoes, and they are getting pretty big. I'm trying to stay away from the fried stuff but might have to make a small exception here!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Thanks Lei and Queenb! There are thousands of bees in the garden. I know this because I guess I pulled a weed in the wrong place the other day and I was stung 4 times,two on my arm and one on my neck and one under my arm, that was fun!!! I see bees all the time on the cucumber plant. I will try the other stuff you suggested queenb. I LOVE cucumbers, I usually try to do a couple different types but this year I can only mamage a very small garden.

Neem oil is safe for the frogs? I know this is probably pathetic, but if it came down to the plant or the frogs, I would let the plant go so the frogs could live, and I love my zucchini. The babies are just so cute!

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2475336;
    Neem oil is safe for the frogs? I know this is probably pathetic, but if it came down to the plant or the frogs, I would let the plant go so the frogs could live, and I love my zucchini. The babies are just so cute!
    I would do the same.

It's safe for lizards and birds; they really thrive in our garden. I haven't heard specifically about frogs but my bet is that it is. You may want to check with the manufacturer, though, just to be sure

That's for sure--amphibians are about the most sensitive animals to any kind of chemicals.
    If you check at Environmentally Responsible Gardening Products that Work GardensAlive.com thye have all kinds of organic gardening insect killers , etc. I bet they also have a place somewhere on the site where you can submit questions.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2476506;
    ....If you check at Environmentally Responsible Gardening Products that Work – GardensAlive.com thye have all kinds of organic gardening insect killers , etc. I bet they also have a place somewhere on the site where you can submit questions.
    I see they sell neem, and at a much better price than the store shelves here.

ETA Even though it's listed as a fungicide, it works really well for whiteflies and mites, using the same schedule they recommend.
    Last edited by lei; 07-16-2007 at 03:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread