+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 135 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2445633;
    The year's last iris
    Soft yellow in pearly dawn.
    Fish nibbling bubbles.
    That was beautiful Gut! So was the story of the doe coming in for a snack of your grasses! That would have made a beautiful photo!

I'l love a babling little fountain or brook in my yard.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Here's a cross over recipe for you gardeners with way too many pickling cukes...

;0))

PK

Ice Box Dill Pickles by the quart (Clausen knock off)

3 1/2 TBS. "Mrs. Wages" Kosher Fresh Pack Dill mix (NOT the ICE BOX Pickle MIx - the regular mix... Saves a bunch of money...)

1 Tsp. Mustard seeds
    1 head Dill (or 1 Tbs. dill seed)
    2 (large) shakes Garlic powder
    1 Jalepeno pepper, halved, with seeds (or equivilent to taste)
    1 1/2 Lbs. or so Pickling Cukes***, Whole, halves, spears or slices (long slices great)
    1 Cup White distilled Vinegar (5% acid)
    2 1/8 Cups Water
    1 Slice Onion to put on top - optional but great...

Instructions:

NOTE - The above amounts work out to 1/4 to 1/5 packet...

In a 1 1/2 qt. or more saucepan (NOT Aluminum), bring everything but
    the cukes, pepper and dill to a boil. (After boiling, it will keep in the fridge for a week and each batch will make about 2 qts. of pickles depending on how tightly you pack them.)

Into clean quart jars, put large head of dill (or 1 TBS. Dill seed -
    second choice), and hot peppers as above to taste.

If doing halves, spears or slices, trim the blossom and stem ends.

Pack tightly in jars, putting the onion slice on the top (added taste treat if used).

Cover with hot pickling solution to about 1/2" from the top and
    wiggle, twirl and bounce the jar a little to get any bubbles out.
    Top up completely and seal.

When cool, put in fridge (MUST be kept in fridge - and as such will keep indefinitely - two years and counting..).

Better after a week or so, but can be eaten sooner if you just can't stand waiting...

**** Oriental cukes work well... Orient express, especially good...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

My prize (ok, I live in the inner city, this really is my prize) pumpkin:

June 11th

July 3rd

Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

You're way ahead of me, MissThing. I still need to till and amend the soil one more time, and then plant my pumpkins. I shoot for the 4th of July, but I won't make it this year because of all the rain.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MissThing, I do believe that pumpkin is about ready for a bigger home!

I'm starting to get happy because I have several tomatoes on each of my plants now--hopefully It'll be blt time in a couple of weeks!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I had an old friend come to my garden Tuesday for iced tea and plant sharing. She brought me some dahlias and I gave her some goose-necks. It was absolutely lovely. I brought some aquatic salamanders from the beach to my pond. I have a feeling I'm going to need to keep feeder fish in stock now.
    Count your blessings!

We've finally, finally finished with the front of our house - porch and garden. Unfortunately, I didn't get a before picture, but take my word for it - it was hideous. The porch was ugly, closed in with one really useless, ugly window and the yard was a patch of semi-dead grass, weeds and dog poop. We spent our first week's vacation this year opening up the porch, putting in planters and generally making it a nice place to hang out, and this past week we spent digging out a path beside the driveway and across the yard, removing all the sod (which is now composting under a tarp in the backyard - aaahh, a new project ), transplanting about 1,000 tigerlilys and planting what I thought were more plants. Probably for the best, though. I have a tendency to overplant which looks nice in the beginning but doesn't generally work out so well in the following years. Anyway, my neighbour and I are going to use the strip between the two houses to plant all our thinnings, so that should fill in nicely.
    House.jpg

House2.jpg
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It's beautiful, Rattus! Did you move those rocks, too? If so, I salute you!
    Looks like kitty enjoys it very much.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2460861;
    It's beautiful, Rattus! Did you move those rocks, too? If so, I salute you!
    Looks like kitty enjoys it very much.
    I did move all those rocks. We picked up some in country drives, but I actually bought some at the garden centre down the street so I know exactly how much I loaded onto the scale and off of the truck - 987 lbs. One half of a ton. Man, I hurt for days after that. And then again after transplanting 1,000 lilies.

And yes, kitty is indeed enjoying himself doing something I would rather he didn't do in the front yard (I realized after I took the photo).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Rattus - Your house/porch/garden looks absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations on all that worthwhile hard work. I love the kitty there, too.

And kudos and thanks to everyone who's been gardening and posting!

I've just been lurking. I want to post some pics but don't know where to begin. I will do it soon, though.

+ Reply to Thread