+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

My mom always put the ice cubes from people's drinks in her potted plants when she was cleaning up.
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2441886;
    My mom always put the ice cubes from people's drinks in her potted plants when she was cleaning up.
    I do that with the plants at work...empty my ice in there before I leave each day!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I was mowing my wild "garden" (sometimes known as a yard) being selective about areas where there are still high densities of flowers and pausing to give butterflies right of way. At one point I had about 30 little butterflies all in the air around me and a car pulled over and took a picture of me! I'd like to know where that's going to show up. My former vegetable garden is heavily infiltrated by milkweed. I'm torn. I LOOOOVE the scent of the milkweed flower and it is the preferred habitat/food source for Monarchs. I think I'll find a good farmer's market this year and focus on digging that garden out next year. Meanwhile, I'll encourage the spreading of milkweed fluff to a direction of the yard I'd rather not mow anyway.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 06-16-2007 at 05:38 AM.
    Count your blessings!

We had the pleasure of having a confluence of the 17 year cicadas and another one emerge at the same time several years ago... It was not pleasant...

They were responsible for the eventual death of several apple trees, and the tips of ALL the deciduous trees were brown where they cut the branches to lay eggs. They caused almost as much damage as the ice storms have to southern MO..

You had to practically shout to be heard outside, and they gave me the heebie-jeebies when they would land in my hair... I still shudder when I think back on that summer...

On a more pleasant note...

I am picking tomatoes, cukes and summer squash... The tomatoes are in containers, and I started them back in Feb. It appears they aren't going to last much longer, so I have replacements ready to go in when they give it up...

The cukes are the oriental variety I started indoors, and then planted more directly in the ground.. It appears I planted WAY too many! I still have ice box dills from last year... I really hate for them to go to waste. What to do, what to do....

Oh... And I picked two Jalapeños to fix with the summer squash, bacon, onion, pepper, tomato and cheese side dish that is absolutely yummy....

In containers I have the aforementioned tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and one Tromboncino summer squash (however the ones planted in the ground are ahead of it, and doing much better..) Several kinds of peppers and two kinds of eggplant (ready to harvest in another week or so, she says hopefully...).

I have these on the back deck planted in WalMart potting "stuff"...

The bugs have just about killed the few eggplant I planted in the ground, so I guess they are sacrificial lambs... I have Romano pole beans in both green and yellow... REALLY looking forward to them starting. And a row of yard long beans, that should be tasty cooked with bacon..

I have 9 Hard Rock (paste type) tomatoes in the ground for canning. They are loaded. I am really impressed with that variety. It came as the freebie from Totallytomato.com last year...

I grow everything "up" or in containers... Bending and picking just doesn't do it for me any more... It's hard enough to get the plants and seeds in, now that the ground is so much further away from my hands...

Love you have a garden thread!

;0))

PK
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

It's so nice to hear how everyone's veggie and flower gardens are doing! I'd love to go out and pick something to eat fresh for lunch and to see all those butterflys!

I'll send anyone rain. And t-storms. We've had enough now thank you.

Someone. Please send sunshine and hot weather. My flowers aren't growing at all.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Send me the rain! We need it! It's raining today, but it's off and on and not very heavy. Just enough spit to wet the ground. I was hoping for a few downpours. I've been filling my watering can twice a day and dumping it on my tomatoes and cucumbers. That's all I planted this year. They have blooms on them but no veggies yet. They look pretty healthy.

I'll tell you what.....digging is hard work. I had to dig the garden by hand this year. I have to say....my dreams of becoming the next female serial killer have died. There is no way I can dig a hole big enough for a corpse! I'm too damn lazy!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2445381;
    I'll tell you what.....digging is hard work. I had to dig the garden by hand this year. I have to say....my dreams of becoming the next female serial killer have died. There is no way I can dig a hole big enough for a corpse! I'm too damn lazy!
    kat, talk about catching a person off-guard... I was not expecting that at all - totally cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2445411;
    kat, talk about catching a person off-guard... I was not expecting that at all - totally cracked me up!

That's really what I was thinking when I was digging! How in the hell do murderers do this? And those fools dumb enough to kill someone in the winter when the ground is frozen? I guess I'm just not that ambitious.

I was in my nesting chair today and looked out in the side yard and there was a young doe! My first thought was, "Awwww". My second thought was, "If she eats a single leaf in my garden I'm going out and smacking her butt". She kept to the grass but must have felt my eyes on her because she moved to a more secluded spot in the bushes. I wonder if the sound of the waterfall and fountain draws critters in. Here's a garden Haiku I wrote last week:
    The year's last iris
    Soft yellow in pearly dawn.
    Fish nibbling bubbles.
    Count your blessings!

We finally got two pretty good rainstorms this week. It won't end the drought by any means, but it did make my daylilies jump up and produce blooms in a hurry; I have them in all colors, so I at least breifly have some color. Also my three tomatoes are blooming, and one has a green tomato about the size of a marble. I hope it isn't too hot for the 'maters to set fruit, but if it is I'll just keep sneaking the water to the plants to keep them healthy until they can. Actually, I just planted them the last week of May, so the plaqnts arent all that big yet anyway, but they do look good.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread