+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 136 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

I'll be stopping by for tea and to admire your garden
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I would love that. You're welcome any time.
    Count your blessings!

Cicadas

I did search this forum as the likely place to find comments about cicadas, but apparently nobody else is geographically located to "enjoy" the emergence of the Northern Illinois 17-year periodical brood XIII.

I'm located in a Northwest Suburb of Chicago, Illinois and also near wooded areas we call Forest Preserves ... and I have many Thousands of them in my own back yard. They have been here since May 22nd and range from very interesting to a tad bothersome depending on my mood.

There are areas nearby where their dawn-to-dusk mating song is almost deafening.

I was just wondering if anyone else has any of these periodical visitors and if not, as said ... I have thousands ... want some ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

We had the 17 year cicadas here in Georgia a couple of years ago--I thought it was pretty cool, and they don't last that long after all. Seems to me they might have been around for 6-8 weeks, but my memory may be faulty. Enjoy them when you can and for other times--well, keep earplugs handy!
    I've been meaning to drag this thread out again anyway--is anyone getting veggies yet/ I put my few tomatoes out way late, so they are only knee high yet, but looking pretty good. I just hope it doesn't get so hot they won't set fruit before any form.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2440678;
    We had the 17 year cicadas here in Georgia a couple of years ago--I thought it was pretty cool, and they don't last that long after all. Seems to me they might have been around for 6-8 weeks, but my memory may be faulty. Enjoy them when you can and for other times--well, keep earplugs handy!
    I've been meaning to drag this thread out again anyway--is anyone getting veggies yet/ I put my few tomatoes out way late, so they are only knee high yet, but looking pretty good. I just hope it doesn't get so hot they won't set fruit before any form.

Oh I enjoy them and just smile politely when people complain.

The "bothersome" part is when they accidentally come into the house or car. I had one sitting on my sofa ... probably brought him in in my hair or on my shirt. When I picked him up to take him back out to a tree ... he was screaming ! Today, I was bragging that they weren't flying into my car .. and an hour later, I found one on my car seat and I had apparently sat on him because he was yelling something about watch where you put your butt.

Their life cycle and stages are fascinating, and I read that the reason the periodical cicadas are in 13 or 17 year cycles is because these prime numbers are not divisible by 3 or 5 so it thwarts some of their major predators who are on 3 and 5 year life cycles ! Who knew cicadas were smart ? Also, we have had seagulls coming in for the daily cicada lunch special which is a rare viewing treat because I'm inland.

As for veggies, I planted none as I still can't seem to find just the right spot, with adequate sun exposure for a small vegetable garden. The best sunny spots are taken by peonies or roses or outside my fence or would be visible from the front and would look a little messy. I'm going to try to find a spot so next year I can do a tomato and a sweet pepper or two at least. I'd love to have lettuce, but there are just too many squirrels and bunnies to feed in this area.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

The monsoons started just after I planted my potatoes, so they are the only thing in my garden. I had a few last Saturday--still small, and still mighty tasty
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I was in Chicago over Memorial weekend and the cicadas were coming out full force. They were over everything. Holes all over my sister's yard. But not a single one at the botanical gardens. They said it was because the disrupt the soil so often, it digs up the larvae. I am enjoying my garden so much. New additions are a pagoda with candle inside on the pond, windchimes (a present from friends) and a hummingbird feeder that had been out front.
    Count your blessings!

We have three tomato plants. It's been really dry here and we are on "watering restrictions" - so we can't use sprinklers. We can use a hose two days a week, and we've done that. They aren't very tall, but they do have blooms on them. We're leaving for vacation on Saturday and hoping that our neighbor will water them for us while we are gone. I'm willing to trade some tomatoes (if these plants live) for some watering time! We're hoping to have some small, green, tomatoes when we get back. We love fried green tomatoes and the little ones (about golfball size) are the best!

Gut Enjoy your hummingbird feeder (the rest of your peaceful garden sounds wonderful too)!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2441400;
    We have three tomato plants. It's been really dry here and we are on "watering restrictions" - so we can't use sprinklers. We can use a hose two days a week, and we've done that.
    We're not on restrictions, but I do this anyway - every morning when I run the water to warm up for my shower (about 30 seconds), I put the watering can under the tap and fill it. When I leave for work, I take the can out with me and water the planters on my back steps and my little garden of kale before I leave. I've started getting Mr. Rattus to do this in the evening as well, which I use to take care of the planters on the front porch. It makes good use of water that would otherwise just head for the sewers.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Clever!
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread