+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

OK, my trees are planted. I have a dwarf golden delicious and a thing called a Cleveland Pear (it's a flowering tree).

My perennials are looking wonderful. I have iris flowering for the first time ever. It took 3 years but they finally bloomed big time. I have most of my annuals planted. I'm looking for basil, rosemary and chive plants and can't seem to find them. Went to the 3 places I normally go and they were all sold out of herb plants. So need to try a couple other places today. I'm still trying to decide on a tomato plant or two.

Plus have to finish my two planters and I'm done.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I saw some of those mini petunias at the Chicago Botanical Gardens. Too cute. I came away from there with great ideas and names of plants written down. My mom sent me a nice, fat check for my birthday to use on my garden, so I can't wait to get home and get going! We can't safely plant annuals until after Memorial Day... in fact there was a frost right before I came here.
    Count your blessings!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Does anyone have any tips of getting squirrels to stop eating my flowers?

I don't like the idea of havint to kill them and I try to be environmentally friendly.

rt1ky Sorry, but other than intentionally choosing flowers the squirrels don't like, there is nothing you can do about it, except maybe put out a whole lot of peanuts, corn, sunflower seed etc that they would prefer to the flowers.

They probably do make some type of squirrel deterrent products, but I've never had much luck with any rodent repellents in my gardens.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Good work, doxie and nlmcp!

Good luck with those pesky squirrels, rt1ky.

Gutmutter what a wonderful birthday present. Enjoy

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I've tried walnuts and they ended up digging up my flowers to store them. I did hear on the radio this morning that squirrels prefer young plants. I did replace my seedlings with some already groing plants from the store. I checked this morning and they were still there.

My dad has an animal trap he uses for my mother's garden. He attracts them with peanut butter and releases them in the woods about a mile from the house.

Thanks for the support.

I just spent all yesterday in the garden. I went out to pull a few weeds and the rest of the day flew by. My daughter needed money and wanted me to take her further than I had gas for... the banks were closed, so I went to the two places in town where you can write a check for $25 over and get cash. AT Walmart I got potting soil with fertilizer in it and two delicate ferns in $1 containers (for around the pond). At the grocery store I got a ready-to-bloom lavender plant. The local church fair had a perennial table so I got some foxglove, and I wanted to check out a greenhouse I don't usually go to and found an unusual white daisy-type plant that looks like something from a 60s poster and an airy white flower I'd never seen before with little oval leaves. So I got busy and put all those in. One section around the fountain gets a lot of overflow, so I tromped into the woods and got some luscious moss from where I cross a little stream and plunked it around that side. Question: I planted begonias from Walmart 2 weeks ago and nothing is coming up yet. How long do those bulbs (corms?) take to get started? I hate to over-plant, but I don't want bare spots if they're not going to do anything.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, I'm not so sure about the begonias, but you could plug in some cheap annuals around the corms, fertilize them, and then if the begonias come on gangbusters, pull out the annuals...or not. I mean, how many flowers is too many? : Of course I like lots of too much of everything, and annuals attract butterflies too!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Rt1ky, I've been in the SRP (Squirrel Relocation Program ) for several years now and use a Havahart trap to catch the varmints, using peanut butter and/or dry dog food. I got tired of them waiting until my flowers were just beginning to bloom, then plucking them and happily chomping away, all the while looking me right in the eye. They also would take several bites out of 10 tomatoes before they were done. I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd simply pick a tomato and eat the whole thing - the fact that they bit into so many of them that really pissed me off. Anyway, we have relocated so many of them over the years that when we let them go, we imagine there's a huge family reunion welcoming their long-lost relative. Interestingly enough, we haven't seen one so far this year, and I'm hoping that means the word as gotten out that our yard is to be avoided.

Gut, I don't know much about begonias, but I like Queenie's suggestion that there's no such thing as too many flowers.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I have nasturtiums started from seed that will probably cover the area if the begonias don't come up. My Little Sister and I put annuals in at either end of my perennial garden today. I dig a little further out each year for annuals and by spring the perennials have spread to the newly dug and fertilized areas where the annuals were. I have several perennials that send out runners or drop seeds. I put in some new store-bought perennials (salvia, lavender, foxglove) and when we had some leftover annuals, I skipped around plugging them into any holes. It is a true cottage garden at this point with all kinds of shapes and colors going on. At the end of the day I sat inside in my big, round, stuffed, swivel chair and just enjoyed it all through the glass doors. Rain tomorrow should get everything settled and then sunny but not too hot the rest of the week. Perfect.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread