+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 136 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Don't feel too bad, queenb. I had to let the garden and yards go for a couple of years, too. It will be there waiting when you feel better. *hug*
    Count your blessings!

I harvested a few Irish Cobblers this evening. They were small, of course, but VERY tasty--I just boiled them with a bit of salt. I only dug up one plant, but got about 7 new potatoes from it, which makes me hope that I will have a good harvest.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2418102;
    Don't feel too bad, queenb. I had to let the garden and yards go for a couple of years, too. It will be there waiting when you feel better. *hug*
    queenb -- I relate to this too. Illness caused me to let things go for many months, and it drove me crazy (a vicious cycle -- garden heals me when I heal it etc). But little by little I got it back, and better. Another *hug* if you want it

Newf -- How yummy! One garden is beautiful but we're not growing food....yet. You are inspirational though

Queenie, Gut and Lei are right - your garden will be waiting for you when you're back in tip-top shape. In the meantime, just take care of yourself.

We're behind schedule with our flower and vegetable gardens, too, but we're planning to get caught up this weekend. I paint flowerpots and look foward to planting new flowers in them every year.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

We're behind on the gardening too. And, we are already under water restrictions (usually does not happen until July or August). However, tonight, we bought some (supposedly) drought resistant tomato plants and I am already drooling over the thought of fried green tomatoes! We also got some herbs - Lavender, Rosemary, Oregano, Cilantro and a few others. Those will be in pots in our sunroom. And, best of all, I got a Confederate Jasmine plant. My great-aunt had one when she lived here and I loved the way it smelled. She dug it up and took it with her when she moved to Charleston about 15 years ago and it is STILL beautiful. I hope that I don't kill mine Oh - and we got some lovely red, white and deep purple petunias for the planters on our patio. They smell good too. It looks like tomorrow is going to be a long/fun day of planting.

Happy Gardening!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2420528;
    We're behind on the gardening too....It looks like tomorrow is going to be a long/fun day of planting.

Happy Gardening!
    There's always too much to do!

Have fun with the new plants, doxie! Very nice selection you got Funny, we just had a big project day of our own, including planting and re-planting things, (including petunias, too, to hang.) We're both really sore but also very satisfied.

I really wanna post pictures but hardly know where to begin. Soon.

Meantime, and always, happy gardening to everyone, too. Aloha!

Has anyone ever seen a Golden Angel's Trumpet? My next-door neighbor has one in her lush courtyard (she has one mean green thumb), and the scent is unbelievable. Aaaah. It's a tall plant (about 10 feet), and with the cascading huge flowers, it's just gorgeous. I do understand it's poisonous so it wouldn't be a plant you'd want around kids or pets. But we were visiting with them tonight, and it's in full bloom and is spectacular.

Lei
    , have you grown Calibrachoa before? They're also known as mini petunias. I started using them two years ago, and absolutely love them because they're self pruning, and cascade beautifully when in hanging planters.

Doxie, drought resistant tomatoes, eh? I'm anxious to hear how they work for you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

lei
    FORT Fogey

roseskid Angel's trumpets are so beautiful! They grow in parts of Hawaii (not where I am).

I'm gonna watch for the mini petunias -- they look a lot like ours but I like the "self pruning" idea -- ours get stringy rather quickly. Thanks for the tip

Roseskid, we have tose in all colors in GA also, they are spectacular! I've seen all shades of white, lavendar, peach, and pink as well as the yellow you show. Also, I understand that while they are poisonous, they are actually ok because it's only toxic when ingested in quite some quantity, and the leaves are not appealing to animals to eat. They're kind of like fokglove (contains digitalis) or castor bean (contains Ricin !) poinsetta, etc, toxic but safe for nrmal use. Just don't cook them up and serve them to anyone!

Well, I did get L to dig me three tomato holes. I can tend that much! Must go for the 'mater, even a few.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

We got everything planted today! Our patio and little veggie garden look wonderful. I hope that we will have some rain sometime in the near future.

I've seen the trumpet plants here too - they are so beautiful and smell great! I am all excited because my Gardenia bush looks like it will bloom within the next few days. Gardenia is my very favorite "flavor"....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread