+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 134 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2394584;
    My question - how badly grassed an area can a rented cultivator (can't think of the word!) handle?
    Are you thinking of a rototiller? They come in all sizes, so I'd check with the rental place.

eta: All I have in my vegetable garden yet are four sturdy tomato plants that my BIL started from seed. I've tidied the perennial/bulb mound out front and added a couple of miniature rose bushes that I got for my birthday. The irises are starting to bud and will be gorgeous.
    Last edited by veejer; 05-16-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Gut - no vegetable garden yet? Well! I've lost all respect for you!
    No, really though, just reading about you digging out your own pond form made me want to bow down to you, the gardening goddess. And now we have Lei, goddess of the tropical garden.
    And here I'm just happy my peonies didn't fall over last night.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2394584;
    Lei - your garden sounds heavenly! When I get flight privileges from my daughter (I technically have them now, just don't know how to access them) I'm flying out to see your garden. How much work is the aviary?...
    I would love the visit!

The aviary is more work than anticipated, but now that I have it down to a routine, it's well worth it. At least it's time each day that I know I'll be with the birdies. Basically, because there's eight in there (they are zebra finches; the cage has two strawberry finches) they make a lot of...er...mess. So every other day I wheel it away a bit, sweep around, then hose at least the bottom out, clean their food and water bowls, dry the bottom, change newspaper lining, refill bowls. Also they need to be secured with towels/blankets and bungie cords at night so the neighborhood cats don't harass them (and, in winter, for warmth.) On the alternate days it's the same except I skip the hosing. Also there's mousetraps to deal with because of the seeds.

Breeding is a whole 'nother story but we did that once (it was very exciting, and the baby is part of our tribe!) and decided to avoid it further for now (just make sure there's no nests or nesting materials.)

Google "finch niche" for the best Internet resource.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2395023;
    No, really though, just reading about you digging out your own pond form made me want to bow down to you, the gardening goddess. And now we have Lei, goddess of the tropical garden.
    You are way too kind I learned the hard way -- being born and raised in NYC didn't provide for much gardening experience -- and it still overwhelms me. Much more credit goes to Gutmutter. We had dudes come and dig out our pond area.

lei
    FORT Fogey

But just so we don't appear too lazy, the dudes did have to use a jackhammer. Our garden is on lava rock, which is a challenge (and why we took up composting!)

Still, digging a big hole like out of anything is hard work. You're awesome, Gutmutter!

I went out to clear out a little of the Lamb's Ear that is starting to take over with my sturdy hand-held weeder when I heard a squeak! I thought it was an old toy of Katie's. I lifted up some leaves and saw a rabbit. I felt so bad. I went out again last night before the storm and put some cut grass close to where the rabbit was and found a full house! There were almost 8 bunnies of assorted sizes. Help! How do I get rid of them without killing them?

They'll go away by themselves within a couple of weeks, famita.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2394645;
    Are you thinking of a rototiller? They come in all sizes, so I'd check with the rental place.
    I didn't even think of different sizes. I've only ever used a rototiller once and it was smaller than a push mower so didn't have much oomph. I'll go to the rental place and see what they have. I thought of the word "rototiller" halfway through a lap in the pool. I actually said it out loud underwater. Yes -I talk to myself underwater.
    Count your blessings!

Wow, everyone's doing so well with gardening and planning and such.

I just dug out another 100 or so dandelions from the front yard. I don't remember ever having so many of them! Haven't gotten to the flowers yet. Usually I have my annuals all purchased and start filling my flower boxes. I'm so behind.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

'Taters are starting to blossom! I may be able to raid a few new potatoes this weekend--maybe I'll make a batch of Mom's potato salad
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2412112;
    Wow, everyone's doing so well with gardening and planning and such.

I just dug out another 100 or so dandelions from the front yard. I don't remember ever having so many of them! Haven't gotten to the flowers yet. Usually I have my annuals all purchased and start filling my flower boxes. I'm so behind.
    Well, you could've put all those cute yellow dandelions in there...

I don't guess I'll get to garden this year, but no matter; this drought has already set in; no rain innear a month and none likely in the forseeable future here either.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread