+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

GREAT story! I mow around the "weeds" and wildflowers and I do have a lot of butterflies and songbirds. I've always wondered what my neighbors think of this practice.
    Count your blessings!

Anemone, I love that story too, because I have often contemplated this subject, and no longer fertilize, weed-kill, or use insecticide on my property. After you cut it takes some close examination to determine the exact type of green stuff on the lawn, unless you're determined to have everything uniform from border to border, and I am not. The St Augustine grass in my bacdkyard actually thrives on this treatment and is plush, looks like carpet, and invites bare feet, which I normally don't even do.

Gutmutter, again are you SURE we arent related?
    I do the same thing, and on top of that, my "flower bed" Is really a strip where I don't mow, weed, or mulch, but is fullof Queen a\Ann's Lace, Daylilies, Black Eyed Susans, Daisies, and other stuff. Now and then I'll scratch out a place for a plant I like, usually bird and butterfly friendly ones, and I pull out the plain grass a couple times a year and scatter some Annual seeds that require no care, like Cosmos, Zinnia, etc. that also make seeds for birds.

I know this sounds like my place looks like "hell" but it really doesn't. Check out one of those gardening magazines with the so called cottage garden, carefully designed to look natural, and mine looks much the same, with lots of all colors, heights, and textures. Since I do not live in a development with rules about such things, no one cares. Of course I have to see the neighbors 2 working and 4 non working cars, dogs on chains in the front yard, etc. but I can always put in more plants to screen the view if I decide to-actually did it on the back side.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know anything about growing a butterfly bush? The prev. owners had three and they don't look as if they are coming back. I was expecting at least a few shoots by now, should I give them more time before giving up? If they are all dead, am I stupid for thinking I might try them again? The photos of them looked lovely but I'd hate to kill three more. The wall they are against faces east and everything else planted there looks to be thriving.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2365048;
    This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a great gardener. Are herb plants annuals or can they live longer? I planted some last year in pots (which were in our glassed-in sunroom) and they did really well until mid-January. Then, they all died. I probably didn't water them enough, but I would like to know if they are annuals and need to be replaced every year or if they will (with more attention and water) stay alive for more than just 6-7 months.
    If you grow them in pots you might be able to bring them in when it gets cold. I didn't have good luck growing my herbs in the house last year, that's why I set up the big pots outside. Mine stayed nice clear into the fall though, I covered them if it got too cold and they did well clear through October. They do best in clay pots.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2370357;
    Does anyone know anything about growing a butterfly bush? The prev. owners had three and they don't look as if they are coming back. I was expecting at least a few shoots by now, should I give them more time before giving up? If they are all dead, am I stupid for thinking I might try them again? The photos of them looked lovely but I'd hate to kill three more. The wall they are against faces east and everything else planted there looks to be thriving.
    If I can grow one, anyone can I don't know the particulars very well, but I do know that last year my ex-wife cut the previous year's growth down to ground level and it came back beautifully; I didn't do anything this year and it was leafing out just fine before the April freeze. It's just now coming back from that, but it looks like it will be OK. Mine are south-facing, but that's just where a former girlfriend was given free rein to plant a flower garden.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Cricketeen, butterfly bushes are easy easy! Just plant them where they can get sun for most of the day, and after they have been established for a couple of months, don't do anything else to them. Butterfly bushes do well in drought and direct sun, not so much in dampish or shady areas.

I've had mixed luck with butterfly bushes. They seem to thrive for a few years and then just don't come back. Who knows why? Maybe they only tolerate a certain low temperature. I'd definitely plant more - the butterflies love them - and mulch it well in the fall. I've totally neglected my gardens and yard for two years but am in the process of trying to revive, weed, plant new things, etc. Love this time of year.
    Count your blessings!

Butterfly Bushes

Hmmmm. I have one from the previous owner and it did well, came back on it's own for 2 seasons ... I cut the previous year's grown back in the spring.

I do remember worrying last year if it would come around and it did. This year, nothing so far, but we have had insanely fluctuating weather, ( Chicagoland ... Zone 5 ) so I'm giving mine a little more time.

I think gardens all over are very confused. My Magnolia tree didn't drop any buds and bloomed early and then the blossoms died because it snowed ... and then ( now ) it has blossoms again. I'm confused so my garden must be as well.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

We have a "natural" lawn. I have never seen the point in all that weeding, fertilizing and watering. In Florida, we had water restrictions, so couldn't water. I love the dandelions we have here. So we don't have perfect grass, like Queenb sasy, when its all cut, you can't tell anyway.

My husband says hes NOT fertilizing and watering so he can mow twice a week instead of one. He hates mowing.

This house had a number of bushes and trees and one big flowerbed that at one time was probably pretty nice. It's full of azaleas, hostas and some kind of succulant. But its also full of briars. He's in the process of trying to get the briars out, but they have been well established for so long, that its going to mean, digging up a well developed root system.

And we didn't rake in the fall either. We waited until spring to rake it all up. Mainly because we didn't have a rake and kept forgetting to buy one.
    So I loved that story. And I love my yard. To me, it perfect.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2371379;
    But its also full of briars. He's in the process of trying to get the briars out, but they have been well established for so long, that its going to mean, digging up a well developed root system..

Go to Home Depot and get some Brush B Gone or some Triox; paint it on with a brush to keeep from getting it on anything else or the ground. Wait till they die and then cut them off. You might have to do it one more time, but it'll get rid of them. Normally I don't like using chemicals but big old sticker bushes call for it.

+ Reply to Thread