+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 134 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

If anyone is thinking of using the foam peanuts idea, be sure they are not the cornstarch peanuts.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Thanks for all the advice guys.

MB great looking herb garden. We used to have a HUGE and I mean HUGE rosemary bush. I loved that thing. We would soak branches in water and throw them on the coals when we grilled for a great smelling smoke that infused our food with a wonderful taste. We had it several years before we had to move and leave it behind. I even used the branches a couple times to thread shish ke bobs on and that was wonderful tasting too.
    Ours was not in a pot, but planted by the corner of the house.

My washtub has sprouts! Yeah! I will take a picture of it when it blooms. It already looks cool on the patio even with just dirt.

My sister in law gave me a great tip. She said to mix kitty litter (regular, old fashioned clay kitty litter, not the new scented, scoopable kind) in with the soil as the litter holds moisture and then releases it back into the soil. She is a "master gardener" after having taken a program with the state extension service.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Kitty litter....what a great idea. And doxie, it depends on the herb whether they are perennial or not. Things like thyme, chives, are very cold hardy while others like basil are not.

I can tell you Doxie has the right idea about drainage-- stupid story here.
    I put some wheat seeds in a small tray to grow kitty grass a couple of weeks ago, but it had no drainage. Well, it was coming up a bit, but not as expected. A few of days ago I noticed this horrible stench on my front deck, but couldn't locate the source. It got worse and worse, anf I thought something strange might be dead under the deck, which is less than a foot off the ground. While I was out there, I decided to examine my cat grass to see why it wasn't growing well; picked up the tray and P-U! located the odor! Apparently no drainage+ too many wheat seeds=fermentation. I reckon I had a tiny little bit of white lightening brewing in that tray!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2369112;
    I can tell you Doxie has the right idea about drainage-- stupid story here.
    I put some wheat seeds in a small tray to grow kitty grass a couple of weeks ago, but it had no drainage. Well, it was coming up a bit, but not as expected. A few of days ago I noticed this horrible stench on my front deck, but couldn't locate the source. It got worse and worse, anf I thought something strange might be dead under the deck, which is less than a foot off the ground. While I was out there, I decided to examine my cat grass to see why it wasn't growing well; picked up the tray and P-U! located the odor! Apparently no drainage+ too many wheat seeds=fermentation. I reckon I had a tiny little bit of white lightening brewing in that tray!

Hmmmm... Interesting. I might try to grow some beer!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Doxie, I hear beer grows great in Alabama, but you better be ready when it gets ripe or else!

before: beautiful, full grown beer

after: better luck next year, and better pest control!

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Hmmmm....queenB....whisper in my ear where those trees are here in
    Alabama because I think all the ones 'round here have already been plucked......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

speaking of drainage, I forgot to put a drainage hole in my new whisky barrel last summer and now it's a swamp. EEEWWW.

I have to empty it and put a hole or two in.

Planting my apple tree on Wednesday, forgot to have my yard staked for unground wires. I think I'm going to buy a birch for the front yard. I like how they look and I need the shade, my tree on the easeway is dying and the city is just going to let it sit until it's good and dead before they replace it.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Came across this little story that yo gardeners might get a kick out of.

Imagine the conversation The Creator might have had with St. Francis on the subject of lawns:
    God: Hey St. Francis, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there in the Midwest? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect "no maintenance" garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But all I see are these green rectangles.

St. Francis: It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

God: Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

St. Francis: Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. The begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

God: The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

St. Francis: Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it... sometimes twice a week.

God: They cut it? Do they then bail it like hay?

St. Francis: Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

God: They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

St. Francis: No Sir. Just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

God: Now let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

St. Francis: Yes, Sir.

God: These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

St. Francis: You are not going to believe this Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

God: What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life.

St. Francis: You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

God: No. What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and to keep the soil moist and loose?

St. Francis: After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. The haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

God: And where do they get this mulch?

St. Francis: They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

God: Enough. I don't want to think about this anymore. Sister Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

Sister Catherine: "Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a real stupid movie about.....
    God: Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by anemone;2369634;
    Came across this little story that yo gardeners might get a kick out of.
    You made me laugh
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread