+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 126 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Gardening

MRD

Re: Gardening

I have never been a gardener (my mother and grandmother were excellant ones and despaired over me for years).

We finally have a nice yard that is already landscaped, so its been easy to keep it going. But I took an old washtub, poked holes in the bottom, filled with dirt and bought a packet of wildflower seeds and planted them. Now, how often should I water this? Does it just need to be kept damp until the seeds sprout? And then what? I have it on my patio and it is going to look really cute when it has more than just dirt in it. But if nothing comes of it, I only spent 99 cents on a packet of seeds. I do hope they grow and bloom though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd, potted plants (including tubs) need to be watered much more frequently than those planted in the ground. We have two tubs that we did vegetables in the first year, flowers in the following year, and now have sumacs and ground cover. I had to water them nearly every day because they are much more exposed to the sun and consequently get a lot hotter and dry out a lot faster. If you have water control issues in your area, things I do are: use cooking water from steaming vegetables; put a bucket in the shower while running the water to get it warm enough; and most importantly, use a rain barrel. Actually, we have two rain barrels but will be getting a third this summer. We almost never have to use city water on our garden.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2362507;
    mrd, potted plants (including tubs) need to be watered much more frequently than those planted in the ground. We have two tubs that we did vegetables in the first year, flowers in the following year, and now have sumacs and ground cover. I had to water them nearly every day because they are much more exposed to the sun and consequently get a lot hotter and dry out a lot faster. If you have water control issues in your area, things I do are: use cooking water from steaming vegetables; put a bucket in the shower while running the water to get it warm enough; and most importantly, use a rain barrel. Actually, we have two rain barrels but will be getting a third this summer. We almost never have to use city water on our garden.
    Thanks Rattus, great ideas. We do not have water restrictions here which I still find hard to accept having lived with them for years. I see people with sprinklers on their lawn and almost gasp as that is practically unheard of in Florida now. Still my years of water restrictions don't have me just wasting it either.
    We would like to have a system that I saw once where shower water, sink water, washing machine water, is all filtered into a cistern for use in both gardening and toilet flushing. However, you have to use biofriendly soaps in order to make this system work.

Well it does appear my "rustic" washtub is drying out, so will water it daily and will definetly use your ideas. Thanks. I can't wait until it blooms. I love the idea of wildflowers in a non-traditional "pot". And I'm recycling a washtub that was not usable as it already did have a couple of holes in the bottom, so I kept that out of the landfill. (we are really trying hard to be as "green" as possible)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie, don't worry-they willhave water restrictions. I've just started hearing about ours this week. The weather service calls for the worst drought in 50 years!
    I'm having severe back pain anyway, so will probably have one of my nephews come dig me a few good holes this weekend, and just have three or four tomato plants this year. I'll throw out some annual seeds, but they will have to make it, or not, with no care.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Premium Member

My kitchen faucet drips, so I catch the water in a bucket and use it for my plants.

myrosiedog - take a picture of your warshtub (making fun of my grandma ) when the flowers are blooming. I have 2 old warshtubs that I want to plant in. They don't have holes in the bottom though, so I almost hate to poke holes in them. I got an assortment of different colored geraniums to plant in one of them.

I got started on my herb garden yesterday. I have some huge clay pots, then I plant 3 different herbs in each one. This is what it looked like last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2362823;
    I have 2 old warshtubs that I want to plant in. They don't have holes in the bottom though, so I almost hate to poke holes in them. I got an assortment of different colored geraniums to plant in one of them.
    If huge volumes of rain aren't an issue in your area, you don't really need to poke holes. Just throw in a reasonably thick layer of gravel in the bottom of the tub. And in keeping with environmentally sound policies, broken clay flower pots are also good for layering on the bottom of a large pot or tub.

If you get a lot of snow, though, I would recommend covering the tub(s) over winter because the snow/melt/freeze/thaw cycle can cause quite a mess.

And love the herb garden - much nicer than anything I've ever been able to grow.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I've used the foam peanuts from packages I got in the mail for the bottom layer of some planters. It seemed to work as well as gravel and lightened the load so I could move them around more easily.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2362935;
    I've used the foam peanuts from packages I got in the mail for the bottom layer of some planters. It seemed to work as well as gravel and lightened the load so I could move them around more easily.
    I've done this too. Makes it a lot easier to move big pots around, plus I don't have to use so much potting soil.

Marley, I love your herb garden! The only herbs I've ever grown are parsley and some lemon mint, which is impossible to kill. I want to try some basil this year...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus
    If huge volumes of rain aren't an issue in your area, you don't really need to poke holes. Just throw in a reasonably thick layer of gravel in the bottom of the tub. And in keeping with environmentally sound policies, broken clay flower pots are also good for layering on the bottom of a large pot or tub.
    That's good to know because I hate to poke holes when the tubs are in such nice shape. Last year I had some oversized pots and all I had handy were some quart mason jars. I laid a few of them in the bottom and it worked great, and didn't hurt the jars a bit except for just being dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waywyrd
    Marley, I love your herb garden! The only herbs I've ever grown are parsley and some lemon mint, which is impossible to kill. I want to try some basil this year...
    Thanks. Last year I stuck a couple of basil plants in my perennial garden and they grew like crazy! I have a small space behind my house that is protected and gets lots of afternoons sun, so I'm going to plant some basil and a few other things back there. Yesterday I picked up a couple of patio tomato plants to try in my bigger pots.

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a great gardener. Are herb plants annuals or can they live longer? I planted some last year in pots (which were in our glassed-in sunroom) and they did really well until mid-January. Then, they all died. I probably didn't water them enough, but I would like to know if they are annuals and need to be replaced every year or if they will (with more attention and water) stay alive for more than just 6-7 months.

We're going plant shopping this weekend!

Oh - MRD - again, I am not a great gardener, but it might help if you raise that washtub off of the patio/grass/whatever it is sitting on. That helps with the drainage and also keeps the grass from being killed or the patio from getting moldy. I have bricks under the (empty for now) pots on my patio and that seems to work pretty well! Happy Gardening
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread