+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 134 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

MRD

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2323429;
    Don't worry about them, rosie. The blooms will fall off just like they do after a normal blooming period anyway. The best thing to do for azaleas is never prune them or anything, just toss a handful of 10-10-10 around them on occasion, remembering that azalea roots spread out about as wide as the entire shrub instead of going down. You can also add a bit of pine staw or bark mulch if needed.

I hate that most of my bloomers got frostbitten too, but their blooming period was close to over anyway.
    They get plenty of pine straw. I dont' have to worry about that. I'm guessing that's why the previous owners planted them where they are: under a bunch of pine trees.
    Everyone tells me to just leave them alone and they will do fine. That is MY kind of gardening, let me tell you.

Thanks for the advice about them. My grandmother and mother were wonderful gardeners. I did NOT inherit their green thumbs. I want a nice yard, but have not one idea of how to get one. In Florida, we never had much of a yard as we never had trees and anything we planted except for bouganvilla, just burned up in the summer sun. Now that we have a pre-landscaped yard, I want to keep it nice and am more interested in it than I was before.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Will someone please remind me this time next year not to try to catch up with all my gardening in one day? I have blisters all over my hands and I ache everywhere.
    Count your blessings!

Ouch, Gut!

I thought I'd lost all of the hydrangeas that I planted last year due to the heat. One survived! I can't remember what color that one is though so I'll be surprised when it blooms.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I might finally have raspberries for the first time since I planted them 3 years ago. There were huge bumblebees that were all over the limbs. I personally did not spy any nubular growth, but have never had bumblebees hovering about either.

Also, my poor peony that I planted 5 years ago and all the people that mowed my grass mowed it down every year, is about 4" above the ground! Maybe I'll be real lucky this year.

It looks like my garden is recovering nicely from the early-April freeze. The potatoes have all resprouted, and the first stalk of asparagus has peeked out. My wisteria is leafing out all over, and the honey-locust trees that had been leafed out and then frozen are now re-leafing. The exception to the good news seems to be my ginko. It's just as brown as it was right after the freeze.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I have a yellow daffodil! Only one but she's a pretty one! And a clump of tulips are growing!! Woo Hoo! Some groundover has woken up in one flowerbed and the poppies can be seen working their way up to the sun!

However, there are things that should be showing that are not. I think the winter got them.

Newf: I wish I had your green thumb. Adjusted of course for the northern climate
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2358723;
    I have a yellow daffodil! Only one but she's a pretty one! And a clump of tulips are growing!! Woo Hoo! Some groundover has woken up in one flowerbed and the poppies can be seen working their way up to the sun!

However, there are things that should be showing that are not. I think the winter got them.

Newf: I wish I had your green thumb. Adjusted of course for the northern climate
    Expect it via parcel post in the next week or so. It will be in a bright yellow box marked "BIOHAZARD."

I don't really have a green thumb. I never get more than one crop to produce in any given year, and although I've planted corn a half-dozen times in the past 10 years, I've never harvested a single edible ear. Potatoes are fairly idiot-proof, but then I've thought the same thing about peas only to come up empty.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

We're behind on the gardening. We're planning to get some tomato plants next weekend. Looking forward to some Fried Green 'Maters! I've always planted cucumbers, but they didn't do well last year and I've decided that it's easier just to buy them either at the grocery store or the farmers market. We are going to get some herbs too - the Rosemary, Oregano and Basil (and a few others) that I had in pots in our sunroom last year were wonderful. I enjoyed cooking with the herbs and they were lovely plants. They all died over the winter - not sure if it was because of the cold weather or because we didn't water them enough. I've heard that Rosemary can be planted outside - so I might try that!
    Happy Gardening.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Has anyone ever tried the flowers in the long plastic bags that you hang on your door or outside wall? I saw them for the first time last year and they look nice when they fill in. Do they get dirt all over as they drain?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm so excited! I took my Little Sister to the nursery to get pansies last weekend and she had never been to a nursery before, so we spent a lot of time looking at the shrubs and trees. I found two dwarf ornamental junipers - one weeping and one "rug". I'm turning 50 in a couple of weeks and have no plans to celebrate, so I decided to get them as a marker of the half-century. They were delivered today and I can't wait to get them in. One neighbor has a little row of normal evergreens as a sort of fence between our properties. I'm going to plant them on my side of those so they will be like a back drop for my more interesting trees. I'll try to get a picture.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread