+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

I'm glad this thread got started, because I have a question for you apartment-dwellers. Or, no, I guess anyone can tell me.

A couple of months ago, I bought an amaryllis bulb set from my grocery store for three bucks. I planted it, and, to my surprise, it did amazingly well. I had huge, gorgeous blooms for a while. Then they died, and I cut the stalks off. I think that's what I was supposed to do. Anyway, the leaves are still growing, and they're freaking HUGE. Am I supposed to cut them off too? The flowers come back, right? That's why I didn't just throw it away, correct? I don't know; I'm completely idiotic about this stuff. But the leaves are threatening to grow to Godzilla-like proportions, and possibly block the sun for the entire city of Chicago. And that's just not good citizenship.

P.S. Please note that I'm the proud owner of the ugliest piece of pottery in the world. It makes a nicely hideous incense stick holder.

Amanda...after the blooms you cut the flower stalks off like you did. then let the leaves mature and grow. when they start to turn yellow, cut them down to the bulb. then store your bulb in a dry, cool, place like the refridgerator crispor for at least six weeks. then it will be ready to grow and bloom again. DO NOT store the bulbs with apples!! it will cause your bulbs to go sterile.

rattus....we have areas of shade, and dry, rocky soil. we did well with columbine, wild bleeding heart, and variegated coral bells(snow angel).

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder
    Kansas is famous for its wind (and damn little else )
    Don't forget tornados.

Two years ago I turned my veggie garden into a perennial garden but the dogs kept digging up the rhubarb. I would love to try it again this year.

veejer, great link. Thanks! I didn't realize I could grow so many of my favorite veggies in containers! That's a great resource.

Ah, Julitta, thank you!!

It's nice to know that they'll eventually die off. I felt bad thinking about cutting off perfectly healthy, green leaves for some reason. And I would have never known that about storing the bulb with apples, so thanks for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    P.S. Please note that I'm the proud owner of the ugliest piece of pottery in the world. It makes a nicely hideous incense stick holder.
    Good God. Did you buy that thing? I think I can outdo you on ugly pottery, but I can't post a picture at the moment.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    Good God. Did you buy that thing? I think I can outdo you on ugly pottery, but I can't post a picture at the moment.
    No, it's a hand-me-down from my mom, who bought it in the 70's. And looking back at my baby pictures, that's actually one of the least-ugly things that woman bought during that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Ah, Julitta, thank you!!

It's nice to know that they'll eventually die off. I felt bad thinking about cutting off perfectly healthy, green leaves for some reason. And I would have never known that about storing the bulb with apples, so thanks for that tip!
    Your instinct is right--your bulb needs those leaves to feed it so it can store up energy to produce another bloom next time. If you trim the foliage, the bulb will eventually starve.
    I did see your baby picture, and I think your Mommy hd excellent taste!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I'm hoping that someone, anyone, could pass along the names of some plant life, preferably ground cover, that will do well in dry, rocky soil, in the shade, zone 5-6. I'm starting a new yard from scratch (the previous owners had an above ground pool that essentially destroyed everything), and I tried a couple of things in that area last summer,but nothing seems to survive. Also, I'm trying to xeriscape as much as possible, so anything that will survive without being watered regularly would be ideal. HELP!
    Hens and chicks are kinda cool...they may need sun though. I had a bunch of them in my garden in my last house, and I plan to plant some more once I get my garden started here. They will grow between rocks, if you're going to put some in your garden. They were the first plants that used to poke up when the snow melted, too - which is probably why I liked them (spring being so welcome up here ).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Another good plant for ground cover is liriope...sun or shade, it's almost impossible to kill. If it creeps into the lawn or somewhere you don't want it, just mow it down.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread