+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 134 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Well... I put out the jar and it's kind of working so far. I don't have any bugs in the jar, but I think the smell is driving them away rather than attracting them!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2306109;
    Well... I put out the jar and it's kind of working so far. I don't have any bugs in the jar, but I think the smell is driving them away rather than attracting them!
    Either way, you're bugless
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2306109;
    Are they actually "fruit flies" ?
    Unless you have some bananas waiting around to to be banana bread or other ripening fruit around
    I'll bet they are some other kind of flies like white flies or black flies.

You may have gotten some contaminated potting soil. You can repot or just remove the top inch or so of the soil and replace it with fresh stuff in case they are breeding.

I think the addition of the cider vinegar and soap in the jar has added some humidity and white flies like it dry. Besides the cider jar, I think you can also make a mild solution of an organic soap and water and mist the plants.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2306377;
    Are they actually "fruit flies" ?
    Unless you have some bananas waiting around to to be banana bread or other ripening fruit around
    I'll bet they are some other kind of flies like white flies or black flies.

You may have gotten some contaminated potting soil. You can repot or just remove the top inch or so of the soil and replace it with fresh stuff in case they are breeding.

I think the addition of the cider vinegar and soap in the jar has added some humidity and white flies like it dry. Besides the cider jar, I think you can also make a mild solution of an organic soap and water and mist the plants.
    I honestly don't know what they are. I just call all tiny little flies "fruit flies" because my mom always did. I do not have any rotting fruit or vegetables anywhere in my house (well, maybe something in the fridge but they don't matter). I hope it was the potting soil. Because that would mean that they are probably gone for good. The vinegar has worked pretty well keeping the bugs away. But I think I will mist the herbs like you suggested just to be safe.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Lilacs are blooming and potato plants are sprouting. Life is good
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Re: Gardening

I asked my mom what this plant was but she had no idea. So I figured I'd ask you knowledgeable folk on the FORT. I found this growing wild in my backyard while I was starting my spring weeding of the beds. At first I thought it was a berry, but now I'm thinking it's just a pretty weed. Any ideas?

Last edited by burntbrat; 04-07-2007 at 11:06 PM.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2310572;
    Lilacs are blooming.
    I wish. We had a bad cold snap last week and over the weekend with wind and temps down into the teens at night. My lilacs took a huge hit and all of the beginning blooms and leaves are dead. I'm just sick, I so look forward to my lilacs every year.

For you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

I have a gardening question and I am a novice, so be patient.

We have minature azaleas which were in full and luscious bloom before we got hit with 3 nights of below freezing weather. The blooms are now all dead. Do I need to go out and remove the flowers or will they fall off by themselves? Do I need to do anything to these plants? I hate that everything was blooming so pretty here and now its all brown and freeze burned. At least I got out with my camera before the freeze hit.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Don't worry about them, rosie. The blooms will fall off just like they do after a normal blooming period anyway. The best thing to do for azaleas is never prune them or anything, just toss a handful of 10-10-10 around them on occasion, remembering that azalea roots spread out about as wide as the entire shrub instead of going down. You can also add a bit of pine staw or bark mulch if needed.
    The reason not to prune is that azaleas flower mostly on new wood, so if you trim the shrub at all you are removing the majority of next years blooms. I hate seeing the perfectly square or round azaleas some people trim around here, with only a few pitiful little flowers to let you know what could have been! I hate seeing trimmed forsythias too. (Actually, i prefer most plants 'natural' for the most part anyway)

I hate that most of my bloomers got frostbitten too, but their blooming period was close to over anyway.
    Last edited by queenb; 04-10-2007 at 05:55 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread