+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 134 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Gardening

Marleybone: I love crocuses (plural?) and tulips! When they break the top of the soil and come up then I know it's spring and I do a happy dance and take the same blinkin photo every single year.

Right now there's still some snow. My Dad came over with my sister and we shovelled off the front roof and veranda roof. Then had to shovel that compacted snow around the yard or it would melt to close to the house. It was a very spring like day today.

Forecast is for more snow now. So.not.fair.

myrosiedog: Congrats on the cherry tree... WOO HOO, WOO HOO, black horse and a cherry tree, woo hoo. By kt tunstall. Great song! Do you know it? You could sing it and dance around your cherry tree like a May pole. That would get the neighbors wondering! LOL
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

When to prune trees?

We had some damage to our trees over the winter. All of our trees are 20 feet and higher, and of course the broken hanging branches are at the top. We want to hire a tree service, but I'm wondering if I need to wait until fall or go ahead and take care of it this spring. It's really easy to see where the damage is now, because everything is leafing out. Any ideas?

There are a couple of schools of thought--One says to trim just before trees leaf out--something to do with less time with an open wound. This is what I try to do. Another says that any time is the best time, since you take care of it when you notice it. That's what I usually do. Since you're thinking of using a tree service, see what their advice is. My guess is that they work year-round.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Spring is here. We started seeds indoors for our vegetable garden last week. They are already a few inches tall! Wow. I just ordered some new raised garden beds that we will put outside the kitchen. I can't wait to get them set up!

Harmoj, I would contact a local arborist (usually they will charge a fee) or tree service that also has a certified arborist (they will usually come out for free). The arborist will give you the best advice on what you need to do and when to do it. If there are loose limbs and hanging branches...or any other damage, I would assume you should fix it sooner rather than later. Good luck with that!

So I decided to plant an herb garden in my window sill this year. It was going pretty well until a few days ago. I've got nice little sprouts; the parsley is 4 or 5 inches tall and the basil is about 2 inches. But now I have these little fruit flies all over the pots! It's not an infestation or anything, probably less than 10 bugs, but I hate bugs. I took the plants outside and dusted them with a garden vegetable bug-killer dust. Do any of you have any experience with indoor gardening and how I can prevent bugs from flitting around my kitchen window sill??
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2303224;
    So I decided to plant an herb garden in my window sill this year. It was going pretty well until a few days ago. I've got nice little sprouts; the parsley is 4 or 5 inches tall and the basil is about 2 inches. But now I have these little fruit flies all over the pots! It's not an infestation or anything, probably less than 10 bugs, but I hate bugs. I took the plants outside and dusted them with a garden vegetable bug-killer dust. Do any of you have any experience with indoor gardening and how I can prevent bugs from flitting around my kitchen window sill??
    One way to get rid of the little pests is to get a small jar and pour about an inch of apple cider vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap in it and place it near the plants. It will attract the flies, trap them and kill them. Much healthier than using insecticide.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It will attract the flies, trap them and kill them. Much healthier than using insecticide.
    Not for the flies!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2303614;
    One way to get rid of the little pests is to get a small jar and pour about an inch of apple cider vinegar and a couple of drops of dish soap in it and place it near the plants. It will attract the flies, trap them and kill them. Much healthier than using insecticide.
    Thanks Rattus! I'm always amazed when I learn of a new use for apple cider vinegar! I'll try it out and let you know how it works.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2303614;
    That's a great idea. I will need to remember that little trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2294898;
    Mmm, apples I keep hoping that my ex takes me up on my offer of free use of a couple of acres of my land if she puts in and mantains an orchard. My sister near Lansing says that she won't even think about planting anything until May. One of you needs to adjust your calendar

My own gardening is at a temporary stand-still. The soil has become too wet to till--three inches of rain in two days will do that--and so I can't prepare the bed for peas and radishes. Oh well, there's still hope.
    LOL no planting right this minute but I'm starting clean up and prep work. I'm putting down weed cover next to my garage by the fence and starting to clean up dead leaves and branches.

The trees should be here April 23.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread