+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 133 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Your 'tub of weeds' reminds me of the dirty old leather work boots my mom has filled with flowers around her yard. Their house was build around 1910 and they look really cute scatted around with all her antiques. Just another inexpensive planter idea, I think old cowboy boots would look nice too.

I had a mildly productive weekend in the garden. One of three beds got tilled, and another got started. I planted ten pounds of seed potatoes (five pounds each of cobbler and viking,) which if they all sprout will give me about 50 potato plants, enough to feed a small army. I also put in ten asparagus crowns, so next spring I may be able to harvest that delectable treat Peas will have to wait until next weekend.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2266637;
    I'm in sunny south-central Kansas, where the daytime highs will be high 50s and low 60s for the week ... The big problem is keeping the bunnies out of the garden.
    Gardening? Bunnies! I'd love to be able to start out in the garden in March and have bunnies around. I was just reading an article on the Beatrix Potter movie. Ergo, the bunnies.

Newf: We still have snow, man. And snowmen! The temp still dips below freezing even during the day. Global warming? Where?

But it is awful fun to start dreaming about planting and wandering through greenhouses.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    I just found out that the huge tree in my front yard is a cherry tree. And its in full bloom and gorgeous and it smells heavenly. And according to the neighbors, we will have cherries if we can keep the birds away.

I'm so excited! I have a cherry tree! And its gorgeous! This is almost as exciting as the snow last month!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosie, if you have a cherry tree this far south that actually produces, that is amazing! They are gorgeous, though. The early bloomers are all out here, and it's about time for everything else to be bursting out. Yay Spring!
    Now to get my 'mater bed dug up!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Cherry tree! That reminds me of when I was a kid. We had a cherry tree in the back yard. Every year, the birds would come and eat the cherries and we wouldn't get any. And every year, my father would try something different to keep the birds away. Finally, he got so irritated, that he wrapped the entire tree in gauze. That way, the sun got through, but the birds wouldn't be able to get the cherries - or so he thought! Sure enough, those birds got every last cherry on the tree. After that year, my dad gave up. Poor guy - he tried so hard!

I'm ordering two apple trees from Releaf of MI for the back yard. We need shade and the kids want apple trees just like grandma. Except grandma has about 8 of them that are 50 years old and older and producing like crazy. But I always liked apple trees.

I'm also going to do some tub gardening for herbs and tomatos. Maybe some peppers. I keep kicking around putting in a garden but I have no good place but a sunny concrete slab seems a good part to but in a few wiskey barrels to green it up. My crocus are coming up. Spring is coming to MI.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp;2294885;
    I'm ordering two apple trees from Releaf of MI for the back yard. We need shade and the kids want apple trees just like grandma. Except grandma has about 8 of them that are 50 years old and older and producing like crazy. But I always liked apple trees.

I'm also going to do some tub gardening for herbs and tomatos. Maybe some peppers. I keep kicking around putting in a garden but I have no good place but a sunny concrete slab seems a good part to but in a few wiskey barrels to green it up. My crocus are coming up. .
    Mmm, apples I keep hoping that my ex takes me up on my offer of free use of a couple of acres of my land if she puts in and mantains an orchard.
    Spring is coming to MI
    My sister near Lansing says that she won't even think about planting anything until May. One of you needs to adjust your calendar

My own gardening is at a temporary stand-still. The soil has become too wet to till--three inches of rain in two days will do that--and so I can't prepare the bed for peas and radishes. Oh well, there's still hope.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2294898;
    My sister near Lansing says that she won't even think about planting anything until May.
    I'm in the province right next door to Michigan and, no, it isn't quite planting time yet, but it's still getting nice enough to start some of the cleaning and prep work. Now that the snow cover has melted away, I'm going to be laying out out some tarps this weekend to kill the grass out front so I can replace the entire lawn with plant life and rocks come my vacation in May.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Premium Member
    I finally got a taste of spring a few days ago. I had forgotten that I had tucked a few crocus bulbs in the little space behind my house. I was so excited to see this little bit of color my neighbors must have thought I was nuts.

+ Reply to Thread