+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 136 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Gardening

I'm down to a few green 'maters and the plants are blooming again, but won't make any fruit before frost. I also have three, count 'em, bell peppers out there, finally. I hope they turn red before we get a frost. So much for this years veggie garden! I'm thinking about getting my whole veggie spot Bob-catted out over the winter if I can find a good source of aged chicken or horse manure. I've been gradually getting worse results the last few years, and chemical fertilizers and bagged so-called topsoil and manure aren't doing much for it either.
    Looking forward to next year!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I've been gradually getting worse results the last few years, and chemical fertilizers and bagged so-called topsoil and manure aren't doing much for it either.
    Looking forward to next year!
    Queenie, you may have just hit on what our problem has been this year. Out of 4 large tomato plants, we've only eaten about 10 tomatoes. Our dogs are tomato crazy (I swear, you'd think it was crack) but they can only reach so high. Usually we deal with it, and they allow us the ones on the higher branches. This year our whole garden was dismal. We had three zucchini plants, and how many zucchini's did we eat this year? None. We had one, but we were leaving town for over a week, and gave it to our neighbors who are vegetarians, thinking we'd have plenty later on. Nothing. Usually we're eating zuccini dishes, cakes, breads, but not this year. We did get some Japanese long beans that were fabulous, lots of radishes, lots of basil for pesto, but that's it. Anyway, I think you're on to something.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

It's time to start thinking about spring planting again I've been raking the garden beds to rid them of the accumulated debris, and I need to give the tiller a tune-up and oil change before I get serious with it. I hope to have the 'taters, peas, and radishes planted by mid-March.

This is probably the first year that I've followed through on my plans to scale back. I went nuts last year when I bought seeds--lots of varieties of lots of veggies, most of which did poorly. I'm going with just the basics this year. The only things I'm planning to put in after last frost are green beans, a few carrots, and of course PUMPKINS (although pumpkins won't get planted until about late June-early July)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Good Lord Newf! Where are you that you're thinking about gardening already? We have snow topped by ice and temps going to single digits this week!
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member
    I've been thinking of gardening for at least a month now. I'm just so sick of the snow and cold. Today I went into the seasonal section at Walmart just to wander longingly among the fertilizer and garden tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2266450;
    Good Lord Newf! Where are you that you're thinking about gardening already? We have snow topped by ice and temps going to single digits this week!
    I'm in sunny south-central Kansas, where the daytime highs will be high 50s and low 60s for the week It is something of a tradition to plant potatoes on St Patrick's Day--fortunately, they can withstand some frost. The plants will go black, but then re-sprout (although not as vigorously.) Peas and radishes also do well in cool weather, and are easy to replant if they get frozen out of the ground. The big problem is keeping the bunnies out of the garden
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Thanks for bumping this Newf.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2266637;
    The big problem is keeping the bunnies out of the garden
    I use a rabbit fence as my raised beds aren't too big.

Have you tried Newf hair? When you brush them, take the hair from the brush and spread it around the plants.

Even though it's -20 here today, I'm starting to think about gardening as well. I noticed on the way out this morning that there are buds on the tree in one of my "weed planters". The planter is an antique wash tub in which I planted a sumach, some creeping charlie and some mallow, and since the sapling just went in last fall, I'm gratified to know that it has survived the winter and I am looking forward to all this local foliage blooming and growing.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2267072;
    Even though it's -20 here today, I'm starting to think about gardening as well. I noticed on the way out this morning that there are buds on the tree in one of my "weed planters". The planter is an antique wash tub in which I planted a sumach, some creeping charlie and some mallow, and since the sapling just went in last fall, I'm gratified to know that it has survived the winter and I am looking forward to all this local foliage blooming and growing.
    Ah ! I have an old metal wash tub given to me by a friend and I'm glad you got me thinking about it. I was thinking of perhaps planting some herbs in it, with some annuals like marigolds for color and pest control.

But I have 2 questions. Do I have to line it with something before I add soil and plant. And should I opt to plant things that can be in part sun/shade as the metal might get too hot ?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2267252;
    Ah ! I have an old metal wash tub given to me by a friend and I'm glad you got me thinking about it. I was thinking of perhaps planting some herbs in it, with some annuals like marigolds for color and pest control.

But I have 2 questions. Do I have to line it with something before I add soil and plant. And should I opt to plant things that can be in part sun/shade as the metal might get too hot ?
    Before we used our two for "weeds", we used them to plant tomatoes, habaneros, jalapenos, marigolds, nasturtiums (the leaves are mighty tasty in a salad) and a few herbs. The tubs sat on the deck where they got full sun for the entire day and never had any trouble with them, though they do have to be watered every day. Lining them wouldn't hurt, though. We lined them with thin sheets of styrofoam before we did the current planting because they're perennials and would likely be killed by the cold. And, depending on how much rain you get in your area, it might not be a bad idea to drill a few drainage holes. We did with ours, but again, that was in order to deal with winter - the snow and ice create quite a mucky mess come spring.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread