+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

I have my first pumpkin blossoms

I only have male flowers so far, but that's typical. They seem to come out earlier than the female flowers, and there are usually a lot more males. Sort of a pumpkin-blossom frat party, I guess.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post

I only have male flowers so far, but that's typical. They seem to come out earlier than the female flowers, and there are usually a lot more males. Sort of a pumpkin-blossom frat party, I guess.
    Newf, do you "help" the bees with the pollination process?

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    Newf, do you "help" the bees with the pollination process?
    I have once or twice when it didn't look like I was getting much action from my apian friends. I only did a couple of blossoms, and it seemed to work, but I can't say that the ones I "helped" were any better than the ones that nature pollinated.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post

What kind of pumpkins are you growing??? Any pics you could upload of the blossoms?
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 38.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

Jack-o-Lantern and Big Max. I've tried the Big Max before with mixed results; the JoL are new to my garden even though the variety has been around forever.

I may try to get pictures of the blossoms, but don't hold your breath--I'm not much of a photographer.
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Help identifying this shrub

Need help identifying these shrubs. I tried to transplant one of them and it died. See before and after. I wanted to get a new one. Can someone (Lambi?) help?! Oh and I live South - in Texas.

I have a few Magilla Parilla ( or is it Parilla Magilla ? ) planted and they really do well in shade to part sun (from the west). I actually have them near the hosta's to amp up the color in that area and they seem to be more colorful with more shade than sun.

In any case, I started some cuttings in water and they root quickly and thrive if you change the water every day or two and transfer well to the outdoors.

I currently have a beautiful cutting in water, but the weather is rapidly changing ( Chicago area) and I would like to know if I pot it, will it survive as an indoor plant through the winter ? And what is the best way to do it ? Someone suggested rootone (?) and soilless potting mix. Does that sound correct or can I just plop it into some regular potting mix ?

Any help appreciated.

Note, the only Magilla Parilla image I could find was a "vanilla" one, but the ones I have are deep pinkish-magenta variegated.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

EDIT: I just found an image that's close:

http://www.prairiestarflowers.com/im...la_magilla.jpg
    Last edited by echo226; 09-23-2006 at 05:29 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Need help identifying these shrubs. I tried to transplant one of them and it died. See before and after. I wanted to get a new one. Can someone (Lambi?) help?! Oh and I live South - in Texas.
    ]
    That's a nandina, variety is "firepower". Any decent sized nursery should have this, and it's about time to plant shrubbery to get a good start; now is much better than waiting till spring.
    Hope this helps!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    That's a nandina, variety is "firepower". Any decent sized nursery should have this, and it's about time to plant shrubbery to get a good start; now is much better than waiting till spring.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks queenb! I'll search for some while I'm out and about today!

We had the possibility of a frost last night, so I picked all the green tomatoes of a decent size. I ripen them inside and sometimes they have lasted until Thanksgiving at the end of November.

+ Reply to Thread