+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 135 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

I'm confused by the fence, it's made out of something that looks like an apple tree or is it made out of real apple trees.

I don't know if I can eat a groundhog/woodchuck queenb but he is annoying me, something got into the rest of the daisies last night. But my neighbor also noted raccoons are around here too.

This didn't happen when my yellow lab was alive she kept everything about of the yard, I may have to get a dog to protect the flowers.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Thank you for the suggestions. But i did not want to chop the plants. I know if you prune you will get bigger tomatoes, but only one harvest. If you don't prune you will get smaller tomatoes, but many harvests. That's why i don't like to prune. I make BLTs and homemade salsa like crazy. So I want lots of tomatoes. My friend came over and she had a great idea. We strung clothes line over the tomatoes, then used garden string to string up the branches to the clothes line. It worked great! We were going to do the garden stakes, but the plants were so thick, we were having a hard time trying to get them in. Now I just have to figure out how to get in there to pick the tomatoes out. The only suggestion I got so far was to suspend myself in the air, over the plants! Hopefully, we will come up with something better.

The apple tree fence sounds lovely. If you can take a pic, I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    . Now I just have to figure out how to get in there to pick the tomatoes out. The only suggestion I got so far was to suspend myself in the air, over the plants! Hopefully, we will come up with something better.
    If you decide to do this, please take pictures to post here! Maybe you could bribe the fire department with tomatoes to bring out a bucket truck for you to use.

We've been getting some good rain lately, and the tomato plants that didn't die are looking tons better. The first ripe tomatoes are split on the tops and stuff, but do have the taste I love. The three newer plants I put out in June are really looking good, flowers but no fruit yet. I may have lots of 'maters to share yet. (doxie, if your situation doesn't improve, holler. I could meet you halfway! ) But first, I intend to fry a few green ones today. So far I haven't done any yet this year, but I'm not about to go a whole summer without!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I have always wanted to try fried green tomatoes. Do you have a recipe for that?

FORT Fogey
    I've got groundhog issues going on right now too. This is the first year I have not had to battle rabbits eating my flowers. Thus far, it does not appear that the groundhog is eating my flowers, but I can't figure out what exactly he's doing.

From what I've observed, he's living under my next door neighbor's deck. I've seen him out a couple of times, and he seems to just wander around my grass eating something. I'm not sure what he's eating. I have not seen him in my flower beds yet, and have not seen any damage. But he gives me the creeps (I had problems several years ago with a flying squirrel in my apartment - ever since then, rodents give me the willies. No child of mine will ever have a hamster or gerbil!) I want him to go away.

My neighbor has some humane traps, where he's caught animals before and taken them out to be released in some farmland they own about 30 minutes away from us. I think I'm going to have to make sure he knows about this little thing, and make him go away.

I need advice on my tomatoe plants. I decided to try them again this year. My problem is that they are HUGE. They are taller than I am. No one I have shown has seen plants get that large. I wonder what's up with the soil? They have grown way taller than my cages, and the branches are bending, and breaking due to the size. I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas on how to save them?
    In my previous home, I had Sweet 100's that did that. They were maybe 7 feet tall and I ended up having to tie broom handles together and tie the plants to that ( with strips of pantyhose ) Luckily they were up against a shared chain link fence and my neighbor collaborated and put some broom handles on her side of the fence too. I bribed her with tomatoes, of course.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    In my previous home, I had Sweet 100's that did that. They were maybe 7 feet tall and I ended up having to tie broom handles together and tie the plants to that ( with strips of pantyhose ) Luckily they were up against a shared chain link fence and my neighbor collaborated and put some broom handles on her side of the fence too. I bribed her with tomatoes, of course.
    I am currently having that problem with my Sweet 100's. I do love all the tomatoes though so I am trying not to complain.

I have always wanted to try fried green tomatoes. Do you have a recipe for that?
    Choose fairly dark green, firm tomatoes. If you cut into them and they are real juicy, skip the milk step.
    Just slice them about 1/4 inch thick...dip in milk or buttermilk, then a mixture of half plain flour and half self rising white cornmeal . Fry them in hot oil, drain on paper towels, salt and pepper, eat NOW!

Most restaurants that have FGT batter dip them (so they can be made ahead and frozen, most likely), but that's just wrong and icky. They are also prone to trying to gussy themn up with some type of salad dressing or dip or crumbled cheese, but this is also an abomination. Fried green tomatoes should be eaten with salt and pepper only!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I use almost the exact recipe for fried green tomatoes that QueenB posted. I do, however, slice the 'maters and arrange them around the edge of a plate and salt and pepper them before battering and frying. A lot of the moisture drains out of them this way and the flour/cornmeal sticks to them more easily. Enjoy!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

We've had fried green 'maters three times in the last week. They are YUMMY. We had some rain over the weekend abut the 'maters just are not ripening and getting as big as they should... I have decided to harvest them while they are still green and either fry them or let them sit inside until they ripen. Never had this problem before.....
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread