+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 135 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    Oh, roses, that sucks. That is the reason I don't garden, I hate it when they die due to something like heat. Do most dogs eat tomatoes? We had a dog growing up and they always left our tomatoes alone. Then again, maybe they were just dumb.
    You can't even imagine how sad I am about my plants - I LOVE puttering around in the garden every morning.

I don't know about other dogs, but ours love most vegetables. Aside from tomatoes, they eat lettuce, raw spinach, and raw broccoli like it's candy. They hear the rustling of the plastic bag of broccoli or spinach and come running.
    My daughter has decided to plant sunflower seeds. They are in a pot so they won't get big, but they are blooming. This is the first time she has planted anything and she is so excited. She is in the planning stages for next year. I would love it if she decided to be my yard person. I dislike yardwork with a passion.
    I'm so glad you two are doing that - sunflowers are so rewarding for kids (and adults). She'll be thrilled with them, because they practically grow six inches/day. Whether or not she likes radishes, those are quite rewarding to watch grow, too.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

That's a good idea for next year. I was also thinking of getting her zuchinni. Of course, only one of those plants they way they grow.

I had a pack of wildflower seeds once and there was a sunflower that sprouted from it. It was over 6 feet tall before the season was over. I had to wait until winter to pull it, the roots were deep and strong.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    You can't even imagine how sad I am about my plants - I LOVE puttering around in the garden every morning.

I don't know about other dogs, but ours love most vegetables. Aside from tomatoes, they eat lettuce, raw spinach, and raw broccoli like it's candy. They hear the rustling of the plastic bag of broccoli or spinach and come running.

I'm so glad you two are doing that - sunflowers are so rewarding for kids (and adults). She'll be thrilled with them, because they practically grow six inches/day. Whether or not she likes radishes, those are quite rewarding to watch grow, too.
    Sorry about your plants, and I know the pain! But at the vegetarian dogs. I've seen plenty of dogs eat cooked veggies, but broccoli and spinach? Too funny!

Dagwood, I agree that getting your daughter into gardening would be a great thing. I'd suggest maybe a butterfly bush too; once it's established, it requires no care unless you're in a truly bad drought, and produces lots of wonderful smelling flowers that really do attract lots of butterflies!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Butterfly bush sounds interesting. She would love watching the butterflies. I am assuming that it is something that can lie dormant through the winter and come back in the spring?

Premium Member
    I saw in a magazine once where someone planted sunflowers in a big square, leaving space for a door. When they grew tall enough their little girl had her own little playhouse made out of sunflowers.

How cool is that? I wouldn't have enough room in my yard for that, though.

Butterfly bush sounds interesting. She would love watching the butterflies. I am assuming that it is something that can lie dormant through the winter and come back in the spring?
    Yes, but it won't ever get so huge that it takes up too much room! Maybe 6 feet tall, and not real thick and bushy. It comes in various colors from piny purple to deep purple.

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I know this will be a stupid question, can you plant the sunflowers in the summertime with success?

That actually sounds like a great idea for part of my front garden.

We are about to plant a few elephant ear plants in place of the cruddy holly bushes the builder put in that are so ugly I can't stand it.

We just want to wait for it to cool down a bit
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Premium Member
    Ginger, I think they need to be planted early because it takes awhile for them to grow. When I planted them it was in the spring and they were fully grown and blooming I think in August. It depends on what zone you are in though. It's funny that it's been several years since I've had them and I'm still pulling up volunteer sunflowers from my garden, I just pulled one a few days ago and it was only about 2 feet tall.

Butterfly Bush aka Buddlea is pretty hardy here in GA and I believe you can grow it fairly far north. It needs plenty of sun. My favorite is the yellow honeycomb. AFter the frost, I cut mine completely back and then it comes back bigger and better the next year.

+ Reply to Thread