+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 135 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fogey
    Hi Sun84! I was purely a container gardener too until about 3 years ago when I bought my house. In some ways, I actually miss those days. I LOVE having more space, and being able to grow perrenials. But I miss the protection that the balcony / containers provided from rabbits, slugs, etc. It was a lot cheaper to garden when I didn't have to worry about so many bug sprays! Not to mention the weeding.

I just came back yesterday from 12 days of vacation. I had a friend who was supposed to come by and water for me. It appears she never did. Fortunately, we're in an area that has been experiencing downpours lately. (my rain gauge indicated 2 inces of rain while I was gone, and I don't know how much evaporated from there) Unfortunately, I have a few containers that are somewhat undercover. I was so proud of one hanging basket I'd planted, and it's toast now. Oh well, I've learned two lessons ... never ask this friend to water, and move the containers to get rain while I'm gone!

Hi Veruka! Uugh, I feel your pain. The one and only time we had a friend water for us it looked like he was trying to create the flood of the century!!! Seriously, he could have drowned a water lily! Sorry to hear about your haning basket. The silver lining I can think of is you get to buy new plants! (Yay!)
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 38.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

I was in my garden this morning and picked my first two cukes and cherry tomatoes. I just peeled one of the cukes and it was delicious. Nothing better than fresh vegetables from your garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    I was in my garden this morning and picked my first two cukes and cherry tomatoes. I just peeled one of the cukes and it was delicious. Nothing better than fresh vegetables from your garden.

It's a week later than I planned, but I finally got the beds prepared for my pumpkin patches. The tiller beat me up pretty good by the time I made three passes in each bed. I spread some peat moss and worked that in, so the prep work is done. Now I have to find the energy to plant and set the drip irrigation in place--not tonight!

Before you ask , I find that a July 4th planting means a just-in-time-for-Halloween harvest. If I were to plant in the spring, bugs would eat the poor pumpkins and ruin the harvest. I have a couple of four-year-olds depending on me, can't afford to screw up!!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

This might belong in the recipes thread, but does anyone here make fresh salsa from garden tomatoes? I'd love to have a good recipe.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    Yummy. I've never planted cukes before, but this year we planted lemon cucumbers for the first time, and I can't wait to try them. I think I check every day to see if they're ready. Not yet. Our tomatoes aren't ready yet either, but we have lots of green ones. Our radishes and ornamental beans are regular producers, so we've been enjoying them. I also made our first 8 batches of pesto last weekend, and the basil plants are already filling out again. I love this time of year.

Angel, I don't have a recipe for homemade salsa, but I'm sure someone here does. You might get better results in the recipe thread like you wondered.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

We've had some great cucumbers and a few ripe tomatoes so far. We would have had more tomatoes by now if I hadn't picked them when they were green and fried them We haven't had any rain in the last few weeks though. If it doesn't rain soon, we will have water restrictions and then I shall be forced to sneak outside late at night and water my little garden and my favorite Gardenia bush.

Angel - I have a friend who makes awesome salsa with the veggies in her garden. She buys salsa/spice mix (I cannot remember the brand name, but it's available at Wal-Mart and several other stores here - usually it is on the aisle that has canning supplies). I hope this helps.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm getting a few tomatoes; due to the weather they aren't beautiful, but still yummy. I still don't think my plants will last long, due to getting a poor start with the weird weather we had. I'm also starting to get a fair amount of squash, which is surprising because for the past couple of seasons, my squash have been puny. I did wait and plant them when it was warmer ant night this year, so maybe that's key.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenie, I'm glad you're getting some veggies already. Our tomatoes are still ripening, but I'm afraid our dogs have begun trolling (they pluck them off the vine before we can get to them :nono), and between the squirrels we relocate when we catch them, and Maggie and Howard, we'll be lucky if we can get three out of 20.

I'm so sad because I watered everything before I left for work today, but it was so dang hot that by the time I got home tonight, a lush mini-petunia was completely fried, my regular petunias are now crispy, and another beautiful flowering vine is completely limp. Our veggies survived, though, so I guess I should be grateful for that.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Oh, roses, that sucks. That is the reason I don't garden, I hate it when they die due to something like heat. Do most dogs eat tomatoes? We had a dog growing up and they always left our tomatoes alone. Then again, maybe they were just dumb.

My daughter has decided to plant sunflower seeds. They are in a pot so they won't get big, but they are blooming. This is the first time she has planted anything and she is so excited. She is in the planning stages for next year. I would love it if she decided to be my yard person. I dislike yardwork with a passion.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread