+ Reply to Thread
Page 203 of 204 FirstFirst ... 103153193194195196197198199200201202203204 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2033
Like Tree1216Likes

Thread: Gardening

FORT Fanatic

Re: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I normally avoid petunias because I get lazy and don't like all the dead heading, but those night sky petunias are absolutely gorgeous!
    I don't deadhead mine. I have to giant pots on either side of the outside door to the den. I fill them up, water, and whatever happens happens.

My tomatoes are going crazy! Even my mega-green-thumb neighbor commented on how big they've gotten.

This is my Better Boy in one of the upcycled plastic drawers that I turned into a planter (you can see the other one in the background - it has rosemary and thyme in it, which means I sing that song every time I water them! )
    tomato planter.jpg
    And the sweet little planter my neighbor gave me last year. This summer it's got marjoram in it. marjoram.jpg

LOTS of green out in front of my house! I can't wait until I can harvest some tomatoes!
    waywyrd, Brooks, beerbelly and 4 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You guys are lucky! It’d almost safe to start planting things here in New England. After Memorial Day is the rule of thumb.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Count your blessings!

My dahlias have started to bloom!

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg
    “Where there is love there is life.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

so beautiful and so symetrical as to their petals. They look like a painting.
    Stargazer161 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Gooseneck loosestrife is gorgeous. It did great in my mother's Zone 4 garden in southern New Hampshire. I gladly introduced it to my Massachusetts Zone 5 garden. That was just enough of an edge that it obliterated everything in its path. I had to dig up everything in the area and tease out the roots of the friendly plants before I replanted them.

Yikes, and now having taken a look at pictures of creeping bellflower, I think that's my current thug. I dug up an area where I had never been able to surface weed it. What I found were enormous roots that must have given it all the energy it ever needed to come back up. I probably didn't get all of it, but I hope enough to manage going forward. Unfortunately it has taken over another garden. That may be next spring's project. Thank you for letting me know what I have been dealing with!
    It's so hard to get any time off from work, but I managed to redo that garden last week. The astilbe plant I wanted to save, because a friend who died of breast cancer shortly after she gave it to me 25 years ago, is going strong! I thought I would have to bareroot anything I wanted to save from the garden, but digging up about half the garden and sifting through the dirt for the bellflower roots seems to have taken care of it. But which I mean any bellflower that continues to come up (because you can't completely obliterate it!) will have much smaller roots and with effort shouldn't overwhelm the other plants. Plus this garden had developed into a rangy mess and now looks very orderly and peaceful the way I like perennial gardens. I wouldn't mind a good English country everything-mixed-together garden but I'm not good at that.

My garden as a whole tends to be awesome through June but by the end of July rather shabby and out of control. I'm hopeful this year I can extend it farther out.
    Gutmutter and navybelle like this.

FORT Fogey Ms.pacman New Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion awesomekina23's Avatar

I got some annuals yesterday! Some Supertunia (never tried them but from what I see online, they look amazing), nasturtium, zinnias, lantana. We may be getting a frost tonight though, so I'm glad I held off on the planting.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    I got some annuals yesterday! Some Supertunia (never tried them but from what I see online, they look amazing), nasturtium, zinnias, lantana. We may be getting a frost tonight though, so I'm glad I held off on the planting.
    I got my annuals too, tonight! I was so excited to be shopping for flowers. Hopefully the nice weather here holds out so I can get things planted tomorrow. Sorry to hear you're still battling frost! ugh
    awesomekina23 likes this.

There are 4 turkeys bleeding testosterone all over my lawn. And a hen turkey who doesn't seem impressed with any of the boys. I really don't need the random fertilizer bombs. And I have to make sure not to act submissively or they might attack. Or to hold anything shiny or they might attack. It's interrupting rearranging my perennial beds chasing after them, LOL.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

I hate attacking turkeys. Ran into a flock on a farm when I was 5 years old and climbed up on a stump where they couldn't get to me. Finally rescued. I do not mind that I now have an almost all turkey for the protein part of my meals.
    Brooks and Gutmutter like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread