+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 202 FirstFirst ... 100150190191192193194195196197198199200201202 LastLast
Results 1,991 to 2,000 of 2015
Like Tree1169Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Since I'm not terribly religious, nor do I live near my family, I don't really make plans for Easter that have anything to do with the holiday. MY plans are to plant my summer garden tomorrow. We've had gorgeous warm weather this week - high 70s to low 80s - so I went to two different Home Depots and bought soil and my tomatoes and herbs for the summer.

I got sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano and marjoram, as well as five different types of tomatoes. Can't remember all of them, but I know I got some Early Girls and Better Boys. I also got two different cherries and a fun heirloom I now can't remember the name of. I always try to pick one new tomato every year and it's usually a hybrid or heirloom. I just need to get some basil and I'll stop at Trader Joe's for that. It's cheaper there and the plant is larger.

I lost one of my big pots last year - it split down the side - so I was dreading having to go buy more. Since I'm redoing my office and tearing everything apart, I ended up tossing these two drawer units - the drawers were still good, but the frame was a total loss. I managed to give six of the eight wire drawers away (I still had two full of stuff) to a local garden club, but I still had two very large clear plastic drawers and no idea what to do with them. I didn't want to toss them, but I have no place to store them.

WELL, yesterday I bought some dark red spray paint made for plastic and gave those drawers a makeover to turn them into planters! They're not perfect - the paint got a bit drippy in the first coat - but they'll get the job done. The paint reacted very differently on plastic than on metal, which is what I'm used to using spray paint on. Four coats later, they look pretty good, especially if you don't look too closely! I'm going to punch some holes in the bottom and then use one to plant an herb garden and the other for one of the larger tomato plants - my Better Boy plants always get huge.

I may go back and get some more random plants, but for now, my garden's getting started!

Oh, and for anyone keeping score, the only plant that survived from last summer was the curry plant, which is now huge and has now rooted through the pot and into the ground below. I'm going to have to rip it out and then I'll plant it in the actual planter out front instead of a pot. Ironic that the only herb that I have no clue what to do with is the one that thrived!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Way to upcycle, Crit! I like using non-traditional containers for flowers and veggies.

I've been slowly replanting all my pots and baskets around the house with fresh flowers, but it's supposed to dip into the low 40's this week so the tomatoes and peppers have to wait another week or so. I was all ambitious this year and grew them from seeds. I also want to try growing some potatoes this year...I've never done it before. The peach tree is loaded with tiny little fruit and my fig tree is all leafed out, so it's looking like a good start to the season. Hopefully the weather doesn't get crazy.

And I saw my first hummingbird of the season at the feeder - he likes to hover at my kitchen window and look in.
    Critical and Arielflies like this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Low 40s in April? This is why I live in California We're expecting 70s in the beginning of the week and then a little rain and 60s by Thursday and Friday. Spring is definitely here!

The new planters actually look not-too-bad in the light of day with soil in them. Of course, I didn't buy enough soil - I bought two big bags and should've bought three. I also STILL need more big planters for my tomatoes and more tomato cages. I got a bit overzealous with the tomatoes yesterday and actually bought SIX plants, not five. In addition to the Better Boys and Early Girls, I bought a Celebrity, two different cherries - a yellow and a red - and the heirloom, which is called Indigo Rose. Last summer was kind of a bust for tomatoes, so I'm trying to remain optimistic about this year.

I just couldn't bring myself to go to Home Depot on Easter Sunday. I'll go tomorrow morning for reinforcements! I want to get everything planted and ready for the rain later in the week!
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

73 today 30 tonight. An evil evil game Mother Nature plays with us mid-atlantic gardeners this time of year.....I have a few things planted in sheltered spots or that can take some cold. Mostly still cleaning up tree damage from last snow and sneaking out to the public works free compost site every time I can. I am 3 full-sized truckloads into it. I might do as many as 8 before it is done. Super nice compost this year.
    waywyrd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    73 today 30 tonight. An evil evil game Mother Nature plays with us mid-atlantic gardeners this time of year.....I have a few things planted in sheltered spots or that can take some cold. Mostly still cleaning up tree damage from last snow and sneaking out to the public works free compost site every time I can. I am 3 full-sized truckloads into it. I might do as many as 8 before it is done. Super nice compost this year.
    Ugh, I know! It was 85 the other day, supposed to be mid 30's tonight. I'm tired of trucking the poor plants back and forth from the porch in the morning to the garage at night. I want them in the ground, I'm dying for a fresh tomato. That crap at the grocery store just makes me sad. I do have two big planters full of little carrots and radishes that are close to being ready.

I wish we had free compost! I have a composter in the back yard but I've already used up my winter batch.
    Declan likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

The snow is off most of the garden so I went out and raked today. First I switched over the compost so all the leaves and garden stuff would make the bottom layer for this yearís pile. I have a loosey-goosey system of switching back and forth every year and digging out where it was the year before to spread on the garden. So by mid summer, I have a pit where last yearís compost was. Iím sure Iím also feeding lots of critters since itís right near the woods.
    Photobabe likes this.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Ugh, I know! It was 85 the other day, supposed to be mid 30's tonight. I'm tired of trucking the poor plants back and forth from the porch in the morning to the garage at night. I want them in the ground, I'm dying for a fresh tomato. That crap at the grocery store just makes me sad. I do have two big planters full of little carrots and radishes that are close to being ready.

I wish we had free compost! I have a composter in the back yard but I've already used up my winter batch.
    Check with your local government. May be there and you don't know about it. Out city makes it of of all the leaves they pick up in fall. They add other things--maybe sewage sludge (not sure--but it is like Black Cow compost with a little more debris in it.
    waywyrd and AcookerTV like this.

Hello chubby caterpillar...one of many on my rue plant. Love Spring!!

c1.jpg
    ďWhere there is love there is life.Ē
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Ohh! I once had a bunch of caterpillars on my parsley plant and I loved watching them!
    Stargazer161 likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fanatic

I will never be done with brush. I was done with brush clean up and then we had tornadoes and massive rain storms push through this weekend followed by high winds on and off since, and low and behold, yet more trees down. FML.
    Gutmutter likes this.

+ Reply to Thread