+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 135 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    Can anyone identify the large purple spike in this picture? This was taken on our vacation. I'd like to plant one in a planter next spring for my front porch.
    I believe this is what you're referring to? I have the New Zealand Flax in my back yard, and they're beautiful. Some variations get pretty big, though, so they need room to grow. I love the purple color mixed in with rocks and other greenery. Here's more info about them.

http://www.igin.com/Landscaping/phormium.html

Angel, we have a couple of roses (of course ), and all I've ever done is snip off the older flowers, and spray for mites.
    Last edited by roseskid; 06-26-2006 at 05:25 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Thanks for the info, roseskid. I may just have to try growing them again. I especially love the old fashioned varieties that grow bushier than some.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

While we're identifying unknown plants, does anyone know what this plant is? I planted it years ago, and I can't remember the name, but I love it.

Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

roseskid, I have no idea what your plant is, but it sure is pretty!!! Thanks for the New Zealand flax suggestion. I've never heard of that before. I don't think that is what I saw though as the leaves on the flax all seem to come out of the ground in a clump, and what I saw in the pots all come up together in a central stem.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    roseskid, I have no idea what your plant is, but it sure is pretty!!! Thanks for the New Zealand flax suggestion. I've never heard of that before. I don't think that is what I saw though as the leaves on the flax all seem to come out of the ground in a clump, and what I saw in the pots all come up together in a central stem.
    Rats! I was absolutely convinced I knew the plant and could help you out. Maybe someone else will be able to help you (and me with mine).

Roseskid, I think that might be heliotrope...some of them are really fragrant--if your flower is, then I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I couldn't find a rally good picture, but this one looks like yours to me.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Oh, Queenie, thank you so much, that's it! I've had it for years, and couldn't remember what it was, and none of my friends knew either. I love the plant (so do butterflies) and would like to get another. Thank you!

I feel guilty, now. I've was going to come here and whine about all the rain we've had! We have only had a handful of dry days in the last month and a half and those have been over 90* so my lawn is more like a field and my garden is a lost cause. I did get 8 tomatoes in and they're doing well on their own. Since I will be gone for 2 weeks I'm not going to start the herculean effort of trying to de-grass the areas that I'm not planting. Luckily, I have some crops that I can count on with no effort at all - black raspberries, red raspberries, concord grapes, apples, blueberries. My rhubarb did not do well this year. Must find manure.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My rhubarb did not do well this year. Must find manure.
    Well, there's plenty right here!
    (You asked for that, sorry)

roseskid, it took me a while to remember the name, but not the plant...I had several of those die before I figured out that they just don't like it here; take a big whiff of that heavenly scent for me, if yours has it!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Gardens of 2006

Hey all! My wife and I are avid 'patio' gardners. Living in the city we are fortunate to have a large enough balcony to plant 15 containers each year. We dream of a real garden to plant our green thumbs, but our balcony has to do for now.

Who else out there gardens??? Any goos snaps to share? Where/What are you planting?

I tried to post some of my pics here but am having trouble with the file sizes. Does anyone know an easy way to 'shrink' pics down?
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 38.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

+ Reply to Thread