+ Reply to Thread
Page 196 of 197 FirstFirst ... 96146186187188189190191192193194195196197 LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 1964
Like Tree1100Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Yep, this is the kind with the traveling roots underground, and it was VERY tough to dig out. I'm sure I didn't get all of it, so I'll be dealing with this again in the future. Darn! The reports I read about it from the state say it crowds out everything else, which I definitely don't want. I like my bed and don't need anything taking over. Its called a creeping bellflower, if anyone's interested.

I just know I don't want another creeper, like the Creeping Charlie that I battle with! That's horrible enough.
    Brooks likes this.

Gooseneck loosestrife is gorgeous. It did great in my mother's Zone 4 garden in southern New Hampshire. I gladly introduced it to my Massachusetts Zone 5 garden. That was just enough of an edge that it obliterated everything in its path. I had to dig up everything in the area and tease out the roots of the friendly plants before I replanted them.

Yikes, and now having taken a look at pictures of creeping bellflower, I think that's my current thug. I dug up an area where I had never been able to surface weed it. What I found were enormous roots that must have given it all the energy it ever needed to come back up. I probably didn't get all of it, but I hope enough to manage going forward. Unfortunately it has taken over another garden. That may be next spring's project. Thank you for letting me know what I have been dealing with!
    Last edited by Brooks; 07-03-2017 at 07:12 AM.
    beerbelly and navybelle like this.

FORT Fanatic

Pretty plant. I would gladly have it. Bamboo is the one plant in out area you absolutely never ever will get rid of if it ever gets a foothold.

I love seeing bamboo.
    “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

I lost sleep Monday evening realizing that a plant that cannot be replaced (an astilbe from the garden of a friend who died of breast cancer) is being choked out by the creeping bellflower, as are many other plants in that garden. Pretty plant, which is why it got away with its behavior as long as it did.

It's too hot now to transplant anything that requires teasing out roots and leaving behind as much soil as possible, and there is no other garden I could safely transplant it to anyway. Yesterday evening I quickly pulled all the stalks so the flowers can't set any more seed and so they can't steal any more rainwater. I think I will start digging up large areas of that garden and throwing out plants I don't care so much for and hope I can sufficiently sift through the remaining soil that I can start to plant new stuff again. It's a garden I had let get overgrown because there was never enough time in the spring, so not a major loss mostly starting it over so long as I can rescue the few plants, like the astilbe, that I would be crushed to have disappear.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I lost sleep Monday evening realizing that a plant that cannot be replaced (an astilbe from the garden of a friend who died of breast cancer) is being choked out by the creeping bellflower, as are many other plants in that garden. Pretty plant, which is why it got away with its behavior as long as it did.

It's too hot now to transplant anything that requires teasing out roots and leaving behind as much soil as possible, and there is no other garden I could safely transplant it to anyway. Yesterday evening I quickly pulled all the stalks so the flowers can't set any more seed and so they can't steal any more rainwater. I think I will start digging up large areas of that garden and throwing out plants I don't care so much for and hope I can sufficiently sift through the remaining soil that I can start to plant new stuff again. It's a garden I had let get overgrown because there was never enough time in the spring, so not a major loss mostly starting it over so long as I can rescue the few plants, like the astilbe, that I would be crushed to have disappear.
    Hopefully you can save it, but ultimately most plants will die no matter what you do to them or for them. They have a life span too.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Hopefully you can save it, but ultimately most plants will die no matter what you do to them or for them. They have a life span too.
    It's been a long time, at least 20 years. I wasn't expecting it to last nearly this long but I'd rather not lose it because I neglected to provide some basic protection. It never got much bigger so there wasn't incentive to divide it.

I'm also sentimental about the plants that came from my mother's garden. The bleeding hearts are gone now. Her violets have taken over my lawn. It's a great show for a few weeks in the spring so I don't also need them in any of my gardens. ;^)

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    It's been a long time, at least 20 years. I wasn't expecting it to last nearly this long but I'd rather not lose it because I neglected to provide some basic protection. It never got much bigger so there wasn't incentive to divide it.

I'm also sentimental about the plants that came from my mother's garden. The bleeding hearts are gone now. Her violets have taken over my lawn. It's a great show for a few weeks in the spring so I don't also need them in any of my gardens. ;^)
    My bleeding heart didn't bloom this year. a little concerned it may be at the end of its life too

When I have special plants that are declining, I dig them up and replant in a plastic nursery pot. I pamper them until they can be replanted in the garden.
    Like Declan said, sometimes no matter what you do they die.

Brooks, could you pick some leaves and press them? After they dry, make a pretty pressed leaf picture. Astilbe would make a lovely piece of art.
    Brooks likes this.

How's everyone's veggie gardens doing? I'm going to try replanting the cucumbers, squash and zucchini...the borers and almost 100 degree temps pretty much did them in. I should have enough time to squeak out another batch before going to cool weather veggies. I want to plant a bunch of broccoli and beets this fall. Might try carrots again, but I've never had great luck with them.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

+ Reply to Thread