+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

I think doxie is hogging what little rain this area is getting! About half my tomatoes are dead, as I went on vacation last week and they got no break from the blistering heat, and the remaining ones look pretty bad too. We're under a watering ban, but I've been sneaking out and hand watering a little just hoping a storm might come and soak everything. I did buy three new tomato plants today, but I'll keep them in the house till next weekend, when they say there's a few days in a row with a chance of rain. I think next year I'm going to break down and get soaker hoses, so I can leave them dripping all night at least once a week.
    On the bright side, I haven't had to cut grass since the end of May, and really don't miss it!

Add me to the bunch who loves seeing toads in the garden, and snakes too! These guys help keep me from having to use pesticides, so they're welcome here. I even enjoy the rabbits I usually see, although I have none (yet) this year, probably due to the sorry state of my produce.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Trust me, QueenB - I am not hogging the rain! We haven't had much rain here either and we're also under a watering ban. I have been sneaking out after dark and watering as well! I've got quite a few tomatoes that are large and green, but none have turned red yet. We've also had a couple of cucumbers. We visited my parents tonight. They live about ten miles away, aren't under watering restrictions and actually have had some rain in the last few days. Even so, their tomato plants haven't produced anything. Daddy is threatening to raid my garden if he doesn't get a fried green tomato soon.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

We got back home to NW Ohio from a week of vacation and things didn't look too bad, except for the wave petunias. They're spreading and blooming like they are supposed to, but they are spindly. The toms looked a little thirsty, so I was going to give them a good watering this morning, but God did it for me. We had off and on downpours from about 6 until 11, and it looks like it could rain again. They have plenty of buds, but need to be desuckered again.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    We're under a watering ban, but I've been sneaking out and hand watering a little just hoping a storm might come and soak everything.
    Have you tried "grey watering"? If you use biodegradable laundry and dish soap (not detergent), you can use the used water to water your plants. Also cooking water from steaming vegetables , though make sure you don't use that in any potted plants - starts to smell after a while, but it's a very good compost tea type of liquid and excellent in the garden. I also put a bucket in the shower with me to run the water into while it warms up and also to catch water while I'm showering (again, biodegradable shampoo and soap). And the water from any dehumidifiers. And rain barrels go without saying. It seems like a lot of work, but once you get on a roll it really doesn't take much effort and your garden will thank you.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

giz
    Those are such great ideas, Rattus. Our front garden gets really parched in the summer. Our summers are too long and too hot! In the back we have an underground spring, so less watering required. The weeds get totally out of control back there actually, and are choking out the flower beds. I turn my back for one season and it's all gone to hell in a handbasket. Fortunetely the roses are going gangbusters. I grow old roses and this is their month, and they smell gorgeous.

Thanks, Rattus; I've often thought about doing this stuff, but no way am I able to get up under the house to redo the plumbing so I can drain the washing machine for gray water. Since I usually stir fry (no water) my veggies, and only wash 2 loads of clothes per week, and very few dishes bowl, fork, knife, and skillet 1x a day) and pretty much never wash my truck, I don't feel too bad about my 4 am watering! I figure I did my part by not marrying or reproducing. I do have some buckets and stuff outside, but for that idea to work, it has to rain. Either way, I just don't feel like any kind of watering can replace real rain for 2-3 hours! They do give us a 20%-40% chance this week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We really need it--it's 100 degrees out today!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Using grey water here is illegal, and I agree in principle because it can become a health issue. Furthermore, the city actually addressed this issue by stating they "own" gray water, because they turn around and sell the waste stuff. So once you run it, it's no longer yours.

Using fresh water from inside to hand-water outside would also land you with a huge fine, if caught. We've had water restrictions going on for some time, and they actually have a "ratting-out" patrol at all times of day and night. You get one warning. If you do it three times, they will shut your water off.

I'm all for conserving water and do my part. What infuriates me is that the city and businesses don't have to follow the same water restrictions. You'll see water running down the streets during the hottest portion of the day--when it evaporates before ever landing on anything.

So far, my flowers and lawn are doing well, but the hotness, coupled with the wind and overall dryness will be here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet View Post
    Using grey water here is illegal, and I agree in principle because it can become a health issue.
    Yeah, I can see where it could become a problem. That's why I stressed the use of non-detergent, phosphate free biodegradeable cleaners, which are better for the general water table anyway, even if they're going down the drain. We take the periodic watering bans seriously (even though we live a kilometre away from a Great Lake), so we try to do what we can to both conserve water and keep our garden alive, including three rain barrels hooked up to the downspouts.
    Last edited by Rattus; 06-21-2006 at 09:21 PM.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Can anyone identify the large purple spike in this picture? This was taken on our vacation. I'd like to plant one in a planter next spring for my front porch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

giz - do your roses take lots of care? i tried to grow them a few years back, and i guess i didnt fuss with them enough. they all died. some people say you really have to spray them or dust them a lot for bugs.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread