+ Reply to Thread
Page 189 of 192 FirstFirst ... 89139179180181182183184185186187188189190191192 LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1920
Like Tree1051Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Perfect weather for "spring" cleaning. We always have a late freeze in March-April.
    I'm not ready for bug season.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Perfect weather for "spring" cleaning. We always have a late freeze in March-April.
    I'm not ready for bug season.
    Not a huge fan of putting lawn chemicals down, but living next to the big woods kind of is making it a necessity. I stocked up on flea/tick killer granules when a place had them marked down to like $2.50 for a 40 lb bag last fall, so I am going to see if that helps. I have already seen ticks this year, and mainly, last year was such a horrible year for fleas on my dog, I am taking a scorched earth tactic. I could give that dog flea baths twice a week and put the high dollar drops on her and she would still just be crawling in them just from her 3 or 4 walks a day.
    inthegarden likes this.

I'm not a huge fan of chemicals either. The bad thing about the granules is you have to keep repeating them every so many weeks. I have used them in the past but they killed my good insects too so I stopped. The dips, drops, both chemical and organic did nothing to kill the fleas and ticks on my dogs. Triflexis is the only thing I have found that works for us. I'm not happy about using it but my dogs were miserable until I started giving it to them. Since I started using it on the dogs, I haven't seen any fleas or ticks on the cats during their combing. So the dogs were bringing them into the yard.
    I sprinkled Diatomaceous Earth and Lime dust in the barn loft for the ferals and that helps. I also use a bleach and water spray every week or so.
    We have Cedar trees that spring up in the fence rows. I cut them down and back during the winter and don't touch them in the spring. The ticks love them.

Last fall, when I was clearing off my deck for the winter I brought a few plants in, hoping to keep them alive over the winter. Now, I've got a garden in my bedroom. Gerbera daisies are blooming, begonias blooming, a Christmas cactus is blooming. It bloomed for Thanksgiving, Christmas and now, it's blooming again! The aloe plant that looked more dead than alive is thriving and the lavender is giving off a nice scent. The kalanchoe is gorgeous!
    MARCH20170449web.jpg MARCH20170450web.jpg

I must have done something right but I'm not sure what it was!
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

^What a nice treat!!
    Gutmutter and Photobabe like this.
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”

― Maya Angelou

FORT Fogey Ms.pacman New Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion awesomekina23's Avatar

Gorgeous colors Photobabe!

It's still quite cold and more snow is in the forecast for my area so the catalogs coming in the mail are my special getaway treat right now. I've never tried growing sunflowers before but I might give it a try this year. Some of the two-toned varieties caught my eye. I've never tried Verbena bonariensis either but I've heard great things about it and butterflies love it. Tons of dreaming and planning going on here!
    beerbelly likes this.

I'm glad I found this thread. It has been rainy in the Seattle area, but has warmed up a bit to 50's, so today I put my Mason Bee house out and half of the cocoons. This is my first year with the bees, so I hope they don't leave. My crocus are blooming and I moved some flowering plants I got, close to the bee house.

I've started quite a few flowers and veggie seeds indoors, and I am hoping the ground warms up soon, since my Sweet Peas are getting out of control under the growing lights.

I love to read what everyone else is doing as spring approaches.

We started getting the garden plowed over the weekend in preparation to start planting. Getting excited! I can't wait to have fresh sugar snap peas again...and heirloom tomatoes...

― Maya Angelou

It's almost time to get some tomatoes planted! We always have another little cold snap in March/April, so I'm not going to jump the gun only to have everything freeze in a few weeks. It's like 77º today and it seems like summer is coming, but not quite yet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We went and bought flowers to plant in the front yard....marigolds and geraniums. I also snapped a photo of a bee on my flowering rue plant. I'm ready for the caterpillars so I can snap photos of them..

g1.jpg
    inthegarden and Photobabe like this.

― Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread