+ Reply to Thread
Page 187 of 192 FirstFirst ... 87137177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1915
Like Tree1039Likes

Thread: Gardening

Re: Gardening

Beerbelly, If you are going to grow your blueberries in containers, I would recommend shopping for your blueberries at a local plant nursery, garden center or farm supply co-operative. They tend to have better quality plants than the big box stores and larger plants than mail order. Plus, you will get all the advice and information you'll need for selecting the best varieties and for growing your blueberries in containers.

In addition to the few plants in the ground, I have a Pink Lemonade Blueberry bush growing in a container on the patio. The blueberries are pink. It hasn't produced as many blueberries as my others but it is fun to have the pink berry color.

pink lemonade blueberry.jpg
    Last edited by inthegarden; 01-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    beerbelly likes this.

What wonderful advice! And thank you for remembering that I have a container garden. (I feel like small potatoes with the all-star gardeners on this thread). Going to a nursery sounds like so much fun!

I have never even heard of the blue berry! I love the color! Can you eat the berries?
    inthegarden likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    What wonderful advice! And thank you for remembering that I have a container garden. (I feel like small potatoes with the all-star gardeners on this thread). Going to a nursery sounds like so much fun!

I have never even heard of the blue berry! I love the color! Can you eat the berries?
    It is a matter of what you know. I can grow well in the ground, but have horrible luck with containers.
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post

You are are no small potatoes! I'm always impressed with your container gardening skills.
    Yes, You can eat the blueberry's. The fact that they are pink but still taste like a blue, blueberry is what blows my mine.
    beerbelly likes this.

That sounds like so much fun!

Thank you so much! I must say, each year I get better with my garden. It has brought me so much joy!
    inthegarden and Stargazer161 like this.
    - Virginia Woolf

FORT Fanatic

Bought some starter trays yesterday so I guess I will be doing that this weekend. Not sure which plants I will be starting indoors yet. I have a problem hardening off tomatoes so it won't be them.
    beerbelly likes this.

I've been in denial that winter might end some day (a friend in Maine has more than 5 feet of snow in her backyard). Finally ordered seeds this morning, from Pinetree Garden Seeds and Tomato Growers. Goldgelber purslane (really loved this one last year but invasive!), Sweet Chelsea cherry tomatoes (my longtime favorite), Diva and Picolino cucumbers (I'm hoping they really are at least somewhat mildew resistant), Scarlet kale, and catnip. I'll start everything inside except the cucumbers. Later I'll buy Italian parsley and basil plants. I used to grow a lot more but with so many farmers markets in the area now it isn't worth the effort to me.

Pinetree is located in Maine and warning customers that shipments will be substantially delayed because of the accumulated snow, LOL.

I've also been late in collecting step-up transplant pots for the tomato seedlings - quart and half gallon milk cartons. Bottoms up!
    beerbelly, Arielflies and Declan like this.

FORT Fanatic

Buying the lot next door. Gotta figure what edibles I can grow in the shade......sure I have plenty of sun on the rest of my property, but I am always up for a challenge.
    beerbelly likes this.

I'm curious what people say. My terrace is South facing so I get a lot of sun. However the shade loving plants that thrive would be basil and sage.
    - Virginia Woolf

I think of basil and sage doing best in full sun. Parsley doesn't need so much sun.

beerbelly, are you going to order blueberry bushes??
    beerbelly likes this.

+ Reply to Thread