+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 133 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

How are everyone's gardens doing?

My vegetables have officially been in the ground for a week and I am shocked at how well they are doing. We have had lots of rain the past couple of days paired with weather in the high 80's and that has just been a winning combo for my garden. I keep waiting for the first little tomato to start, the flowers are there and I know it will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    How are everyone's gardens doing?

My vegetables have officially been in the ground for a week and I am shocked at how well they are doing. We have had lots of rain the past couple of days paired with weather in the high 80's and that has just been a winning combo for my garden. I keep waiting for the first little tomato to start, the flowers are there and I know it will be soon.
    Sounds like you're progressing nicely!

My garden is doing ok. One of four tomato plants survived the rabbits and is growing well. I put in 30 or so onion sets, most of which sprouted. Two of the Brussells sprouts plants survived, and one is thriving. The potatoes that I've dug have been quite tasty, but it will be a while before they are really ready for harvest.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I need to get out and till a couple of areas to put in pumpkins. The rule of thumb in my area is to plant them by July 4 for a Halloween harvest. They were a big hit with my ex's kids last year, and they've promised that they'll help me this year. THAT should be interesting!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I got my first red tomato today! Oh, it was a little grape tomato, but it still had the homegrown flavor! I suspect it will be another three weeks before I really start getting any tomatoes, but the little premature one was great, and there are a few more out there that should be ready by Sunday. Mmmm--I'm happy!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I love those grape tomatoes, queenb! They are so sweet. I just planted 6 regular tomato plants about 10 days ago. They are looking pretty good. I fertilize them about once a week.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    misskitty: That's what's so cool about my job: I get to play with other people's $$$ and design a different garden every single day!!!...l"White Garden" ...planting 400 mixed caladiums. .. a rooftop garden ...three city lots (75' x 125') behind their new 10,700 square foot home....If all goes well, we'll have a tennis court built, a three level fish pond, fire pit, European herb garden .
    What an incredible sounding life! I know it's hard work. But the creative aspect would be phenomenal! Wowza! I'd love to see some photos, you know, when you're not busy

And here, I'm just happy I got my petunias, pansys, lobelia, and violas in 5 flower boxes and 6 containers. At a cost of about 100+ mosquito bites. And my seed matts aren't doing a darned thing. Maybe it's because it's Mr. Tootles happy sunny spot these days.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

misskitty - I've never had any luck with seed mats. They seem like such a good idea.
    Count your blessings!

Gut: Seed matts do seem like a good idea. But there's nothing. No shoots. No weeds. Nothing there. And it's been raining for days. Guess I'll buy some real herbs and plant them now. Once the mud dries.

I know this is a joke, but it's about GARDENING, so I chose to put it here. Please don't pm me .

Italian Tomatoe Garden:
    ----------------------------------------

An old Italian man lived alone in the country. He wanted to dig his tomatoe garden, but it was very hard work as the ground was hard. His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament.

Dear Vincent,
    I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomatoe garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me.
    Love Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
    Not for nothing, but don't dig up that garden. That's where I buried the BODIES.
    Love Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
    Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.
    Love Vinnie

I had a very exciting thing happen today with my garden, I saw my first toad in it. This may seem crazy to most of you but I always heard that a toad in your garden is good luck. Plus he will help keep some of the insects under control.

Toads are also my favorite amphibian so that makes it even more exciting.

Yardgnome. Congrats on your toad... I wouldn't use the words amphibian and favorite in the same sentence.

I got some wonderful fresh dill plants from my Baba's garden before her house sells. I always remember her putting some on new baby potatoes with sour cream. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    I had a very exciting thing happen today with my garden, I saw my first toad in it. This may seem crazy to most of you but I always heard that a toad in your garden is good luck. Plus he will help keep some of the insects under control.

Toads are also my favorite amphibian so that makes it even more exciting.
    How fun! I love amphibians, too. We have lots of frogs...they're pretty tiny, but their croak is so loud, I always expect to find some mutant 100 lb. creature.

Our garden is doing great. The tomato bushes are thriving with lots of buds on them, and the basil plants are taking off, too. We actually had trouble finding zucchini (usually it's everywhere, but we were told there was some unexpected rain in So. Cal. that wiped a lot of the nursery plants out). Eventually we found some, and now we can't wait for that zucchini cake, but it's going to be a while. We ate our first Oriental beans tonight, and they were delicious. I love this time of year.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread