+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 135 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Yardgnome, do you ever freeze your basil? If not, this may be the year to start!
    I have not. I made a ton of pesto last year and froze that, I am still enjoying it. I may have to try it this year if I have a good year with the basil.

FORT Fogey
    I think the best way to freeze it is in ice cube trays - then you just pop out a cube whenever you need fresh basil. When I'm lazy (or don't have much room in my freezer) I run it through the food processor, throw it in a freezer bag, and freeze it that way.

My yard is mostly good old NW Ohio clay, which is very difficult to plant in. Continually supplementing with compost is the best way to go. To make it worse, the people who owned our house two before us put in a haphazard sprinkler system. The water lines are all over the place and shallow. So any digging is attempted cautiously. We've added some things in the ground, with limited success. The people that we bought the house from added a couple of raised beds for veggies, which are wonderful. About five years ago, we put a mound out front. It has a lot of bulbs in it. I meant to take pictures of it earlier, but didn't. The crocuses, daffs, and tulips are all done, but the irises are commanding the scene. It is hard to believe that I only put five tubers in at each end of the mound four or five years ago.

The lighting isn't the greatest. The shade shifts around so much with the trees that it isn't ever all in the sun at one time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Pretty!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Premium Member
    veejer, I love your yard!

Thanks, Newfherder and Marleybone.

I just planted some Wave Petunias. Do they need to be deadheaded like regular petunias?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    Thanks, Newfherder and Marleybone.

I just planted some Wave Petunias. Do they need to be deadheaded like regular petunias?
    I think you would treat them the same as regular petunias.

went to the green house and bought some more day lillies, the ones I got last year are doing good and I want to add some more. Plus some coneflowers to replace the ones that died last year.

I'm trying lavender along the side of the house and some weird little spikey plant. I forget the name but I like the leaves. Other then that planted the impatents and marigolds as usual. Just trying to add more pernianals each year.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Fogey
    I think Marleybone is right. There is a variety of petunias now that deadheads themselves. But they're new enough (and expensive enough) that I think they'd be marketed as such and you would have known it when you bought them. If they're regular wave petunias, they need to be deadheaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I think the best way to freeze it is in ice cube trays - then you just pop out a cube whenever you need fresh basil. When I'm lazy (or don't have much room in my freezer) I run it through the food processor, throw it in a freezer bag, and freeze it that way.
    I've never thought of that, but I do freeze my pesto in ice cube trays, then pop the frozen cubes into ziplock bags. When needed, I just use as many cubes as I want.

veejer, I just saw the Wave Petunias, but didn't buy them yet. I thought they sounded great, though. I bought some mini petunias (Calibrachoas) last year, and they lasted all year here in So. Calif. Those don't need to be deadheaded, and are gorgeous.

nlmcp, I love impatiens, and have them scattered around our yard. The constant burst of color makes them a wonderful plant.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread