+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Gardening

Queenb,

We have two little 'maters also about the size of large golf balls. They have a date with the skillet this weekend! When we planted our garden, I bought a cucumber plant and put it in a pot to give to a little friend of ours for his birthday. He LOVES cucumbers more than anything and I thought he'd like to grow his own. That plant is on our porch and it is HUGE. It's much bigger than the ones in the garden and it already has a baby cucumber on it. Happy Gardening!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I limped out to the garden and dug up a potato plant. There were about 15 useable new potatoes on the plant (3/4" to maybe 1-1/2",) and I cooked about half of them for dinner tonight. All I can say is that they are WONDERFUL! Each spring renews the epiphany that store-bought is no match for home-grown veggies!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Hi

I just found this discussion. It is spring here in NY but you would have a hard time telling. Cold, rainy, but we have been able to mow the lawn or in our case the hay field. Trying to mow in between the rain has been fun. haha
    Thank you for the great tips for the garden. I will definitely be trying some of them.

A few were talking about having trouble with tulip, crocus, and daffodils. I always make sure that I buy really good quality bulbs from a bulb company. I like van Bourgondien, but there are many others. Everytime I have gotten them from the garden center or walmart, home depot ect., they never turn out well. I also put bone meal in the hole when I plant them and feed them in the spring when they come up. Deadhead them as they die off and leave the leaves until the turn yellow and die back. I then mix in more bonemeal in the fall. I have had the best luck with this and have had my bulbs bloom for several years.

I hope that I may have helped someone. Right now i am trying to to reclaim a old corn field that is rocky as .....well you know. My spring flowers are going great. I planted some dwarf Daffodils last fall and they were up as early as the crocuses. They really surprised me. Thanks for listening to me.

I just planted some herb mats and hope something will develop! I can't believe some of you actually have potatoes, and peas coming up. We had baby bunnies who ran through the garden but they only ate Petunias! Just inhaled the entire flower! So cute!

I went to Hole's, a huge family plant extravaganza for a walkthrough. Not such a good idea on the May long weekend Saturday...duh. I wanted everything. Plants always make me feel happy; whether they are trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, or houseplants.

Good thing I left my credit card at home. I'd have bought a ton of plants and needed to phone lambikins for some landscaping assistance! Oh, the potential I have...just no moo-lah for that right now
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just planted some herb mats and hope something will develop! I can't believe some of you actually have potatoes, and peas coming up. We had baby bunnies who ran through the garden but they only ate Petunias! Just inhaled the entire flower! So cute!

I went to Hole's, a huge family plant extravaganza for a walkthrough. Not such a good idea on the May long weekend Saturday...duh. I wanted everything. Plants always make me feel happy; whether they are trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, or houseplants.

Good thing I left my credit card at home. I'd have bought a ton of plants and needed to phone lambikins for some landscaping assistance! Oh, the potential I have...just no moo-lah for that right now
    misskitty: That's what's so cool about my job: I get to play with other people's $$$ and design a different garden every single day!!!At one client's tomorrow, the "White Garden" is going in (a tribute to the Beatles White Album); the day after, we're removing 2000 tulips from a bed and planting 400 mixed caladiums. The day after that, a rooftop garden overlooking Lake Michigan and the Hancock Center; quite a view!

One project that I'm bidding on (meeting them tonight) has the potential to be "thee" landscape of all landscapes for me and I'm keeping my fingers and heart crossed that I get it: the family has three city lots (75' x 125') behind their new 10,700 square foot home. If all goes well, we'll have a tennis court built, a three level fish pond, fire pit, European herb garden and various Ingelnooks for the family members to hide away from each other in! I so hope I get it, not for the money, but to put together something THAT big that ties in a lifetime of landscaping experience and methods.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Memorial Day weekend coming up! It really isn't safe to plant much before now in New England. So rototillers, start your engines!
    Count your blessings!

We had a killing frost last weekend in Chicago and a massive hail storm the Thursday before that, so anyone who planted impatiens or caladiums lost them all. A friend's nursery sustained $62,000 in lost annuals. I've told all my client's "Not until June 1st or I won't guarantee the plantings."

And yet we've had such nice weather in April, 70's and 80's; I think April and May switched places!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Today I took a little time off work so I could get my garden planted. I think we are done with freezing at night here in Michigan so I am just hoping that everything does well.

After I got everything in the ground I realized I may have been drunk while purchasing my plants, for some reason I ended up with 10 basil plants. I got 4 regular basil plants, 4 purple basil plants, and 2 globe basil plants. I love basil and use it in everything but I think it will be coming out of my ears at the end of the summer. I also ended up with about 6 different types of hot peppers. I really should not be allowed to shop for garden plants. I am really happy with my garden and can't wait for everything to start growing.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their gardens as much as I am right now!

FORT Fogey
    Yardgnome, do you ever freeze your basil? If not, this may be the year to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    After I got everything in the ground I realized I may have been drunk while purchasing my plants, for some reason I ended up with 10 basil plants. I got 4 regular basil plants, 4 purple basil plants, and 2 globe basil plants.
    I think I was with you and forgot about it...I've ended up with 14 tomato plants! I also had 5 bell and 3 hot pepper plants by the time I got them home to count
    At least I'll have plenty to share!
    I did go ahead and pick the big green tomato off my little tomato plant, and it was wonderful fried! Can't do that too often, due to fatness, but they sure are good.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread