+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 133 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Gardening

Veruka, I don't know if it's on that site or not, but I've seen people plant thyme between stepping stones. It's very heat tolerant, and it smells good too. And "wooly thyme" is also fuzzy and cute. There are probably other herbs that would do well there too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Gutmutter and Marleybone, I never got to thank you for the tomato growing advice you were so kind to give me. I've told my husband, and the garden's looking good so far. Thanks again!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I just mowed my lawn last night for the first time this year! I love the smell of fresh cut grass... Mmmmm. I tried to teach Gracie but she just couldn't get the hang of the steering wheel.

Attachment 17318 Attachment 17319
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 05:31 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I just mowed my lawn last night for the first time this year! I love the smell of fresh cut grass... Mmmmm. I tried to teach Gracie but she just couldn't get the hang of the steering wheel.
    I'm still in the process of my first mow. I spent a good part of last week under my riding mower, trying to install new wiring. Yet another reminder that I'll never be a mechanic.

Darn rabbits are killing my garden. They wiped out the peas just as the peas were starting to pod. I set out a few tomato plants (my previous posts about tomatoes not withstanding ) and the bunnies have started on them, too. Dang it, I don't like stringing fence, but I guess I will. For whatever reason, they've left the potatoes alone, and those plants are doing GREAT! They've just started to flower, so I should have new potatoes any time now--yum!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

FORT Fogey
    Newfherder, have you tried any of the rabbit repellant sprays? I got so tired of battling rabbits a couple of years ago that I tried one, and it really does make a difference. IT smells gross, so you have to scrub your hands as soon as you use it, and you do have to re-apply every few weeks for it to stay effective. But they do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Darn rabbits are killing my garden. They wiped out the peas just as the peas were starting to pod. I set out a few tomato plants (my previous posts about tomatoes not withstanding ) and the bunnies have started on them, too. Dang it, I don't like stringing fence, but I guess I will. For whatever reason, they've left the potatoes alone, and those plants are doing GREAT! They've just started to flower, so I should have new potatoes any time now--yum!
    Wow, I've never had rabbits eat my tomatoes!!! I usually fence my beans and carrots, but don't bother with the toms.

Enjoy your potatoes.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Hey guys, I just now found this thread. My husband and I have started our first veggie garden, prompted by the tomato seedlings a friend of ours gave us.

Does anyone have tips for growing heirloom tomatoes? Bear in mind, you're talking to two people who have never had a vegetable garden before, so any info, even the most remedial, is appreciated. Mr. Snowflake is primarily the one who'll be tending it, as I am not known for my green thumb (I've never even kept a fake plant, much less grown anything successfully).
    Snowy, I'm sorry I didn't see this until today. I'm growing tomatoes and catnip ONLY this year, mainly 'cause they're both very easy and I know I'll use them, for sure. I had my first veggie garden in 1974 and my tomatoes have always done well.

(Next year I'll be planting BROCCOLI, too, if for no other reason than just so that I can sing about it.)

Anyway, as far as the tomatoes go my only advice is to pluck the suckahs. Really. Tomato plants develop offshoots called "suckers" and if you don't prune them then they'll drain your tomato plant of energy, etc., that could be spent by the more productive parts of the plant. In other words, if you pluck the suckahs you'll get more tomatoes.

To explain this further, check out the following two web sites:

a. an article on growing tomatoes: http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00031.asp

b. a video on growing tomatoes:
    http://www.gardengal.tv/video/article.php?a=0018

Good luck with the tomatoes, and if you get any ideas for a TOMATO SONG please send me a PM.

FORT Fogey
    You mean you've never heard "Chopping to-may-toes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Newfherder, have you tried any of the rabbit repellant sprays? I got so tired of battling rabbits a couple of years ago that I tried one, and it really does make a difference. IT smells gross, so you have to scrub your hands as soon as you use it, and you do have to re-apply every few weeks for it to stay effective. But they do work.
    If I wanted something that smells gross, I'd do my laundry Seriously, I haven't tried any repellants, although I do have some that never got applied to my tree row. I have hundreds of feet of chicken wire (I never remember if I have any, so I keep buying it) so I just need to get out and put it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by veejer View Post
    Wow, I've never had rabbits eat my tomatoes!!!
    I guess fifty acres of prairie grass and three acres of lawn grass isn't enough for the furry locusts.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Lucky me, I live where it gets so hot and humid that my tomatoes need their shade leaves to prevent sunscalded fruit. So, no sucker pluckin' for me! (why does that sound so, weird?) Right now my biggest problem is that my little foot tall tomatoes are already blooming, and one even has a tomato on it a bout the size of 1 1/2 golf balls. I should really cut off all the above, bad as I hate to, because the plants will probably be stunted and die early otherwise
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread