+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 135 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Gardening

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Could I get some opinions on whether it would be ethical to "free" some of those condemned forsythia to reinforce my borders now that there is a house looming over my yard? Nobody has bought the house yet.
    Go for it, Gut!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm probably late with my two cents, but I agree with everyone else. Plant that baby, Gut, and every time you look at it, you'll think of your neighbor.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I'm probably late with my two cents, but I agree with everyone else. Plant that baby, Gut, and every time you look at it, you'll think of your neighbor.
    I hopeyou do go over there and pick it up, along with anything else you can identify; most new landscaping consists of first removing any and everything that was already there, so the landscapers don't have to alter their standard designs, plus they want to sell plants. Around here there are even clubs for people who go around saving plants that are about to be bulldozed for subdivisions. My schedule doesn't allow me to join one, but I've got tons of lilies, crinums, daffodils, and several shrubs I've "rescued" this way. No one has ever told me "no" when I ask for the old plants.

By the way, to root Forsythia, you don't even have to make a cutting...just set a brick on top of a low hanging limb, and it will root, then you can cut it off of its mother and dig it up.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I may just do that, queenb. Several of the bulldozed forsythia limbs are lying on the ground on my side. Then I wouldn't feel like I was "stealing" and I would have a growing remembrance of her as rosekid said. I took a great picture of her with her huge boxer before she went into the hospital, intending to give it to her, but she didn't last long enough. Every spring I could put a vase of the forsythia next to the (already framed) picture. She reallly helped me a lot with my garden and birding when I first moved in. I could tell you stooooories about her. She was something else.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, I hope you got a lot some of those clippings...it sounds like there was a lot of love put into them. How sad.

I planted my tomatoes and peppers! I planted several varieties all in containers so I can take them with me when/if we move. I can't wait because nothing tastes as yummy as a homegrown tomato!

FORT Fogey
    Gut, did you get those forsythia pieces into your ground yet????

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    ...What's all this talk about lilacs blooming? My tulips haven't even bloomed yet. We had SNOW last Wednesday...good thing I didn't buy any plants yet.
    I hear you AJane. We had snow and flurries as well. I haven't planted my herb seeds yet and just picked up some annual flowers from Superstore that I'm keeping in the garage over night. (They were a good price, so I couldn't resist and I'll need them anyway for my baskets).

I have ONE tulip that bloomed.. Only ONE. It's pathetic. I hope we don't have another cold rainy year.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey
    Have any of you ever planted any of the steppables plants?

I have a patch of dirt between my driveway and house. Between the cement, and the white siding on the house, this area gets hot, and dried out easily. I've tried planting ajuga for the past couple of years, and it's grown fine, but not come back the following year. So this year, I want to try something different. I've thought about just planting impatiens. But I'm curious about the steppables too. I wouldn't really be walking on them, but I'm wondering if when a plant is tough enough to be walked on, if it'd also be tough enough to flourish in a tough to grow area.

Veruka, my local gardening store's magazine has 4 specific plants that are perfect as steppables and one of them discussed that very issue. If no one else answers, I'll try to see what it recommends when I get home.

eta: aha! they have it online! Try here http://bordines.com/catalog/pdf/Mag2006_pg18-19.pdf or go here http://bordines.com/catalog/MagazineIndex.html and select Cone Flowers and Walkabouts. I'm not certain if the graphic symbols are visible enough.
    Last edited by Broadway; 05-11-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks Broadway! I also discovered that there is a steppables website, and it does appear that they may just meet my needs. They do have varieties that spread well and are perrenials. AND, they've all been designed to be tough resilient plants. I think I'm going to need to add some to my shopping list!

+ Reply to Thread